Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5

Traveller 5 Discussion of the Fifth edition of Traveller, released Spring 2013.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
mancerbear Citizen
Default T5 to Mongoose (or Classic) Traveller

So, I've been looking at a few things in T5, not with the intention of converting over, but looking to add to my Mongoose game, and I'm drawn to the Amindii from Regina.

My question, how easy is it to convert stat generation from one to the other? I know T5 uses the raw stat while Mongoose uses a DM. So for example, creating a human in both systems you roll 2D for each characteristic. Sounds fine.

But, an Amindii (giant anthropomorphic grasshopper) character has 4D strength (T5). My assumption (is this correct, or is there a conversion system?) that will translate directly to 4D in Mongoose. So here is the kicker... my Amindii gets a STR 18... the DM chart stop at 15 (+3). Where does that leave my Amindii?

My first thought is to continue the chart like this

15-17 +3
18-20 +4
21-23 +5
Etc

This will work nicely for other aliens too. The Virushi are horrendously strong and generate their STR characteristic using D6+10 (classic Traveller) and can go up to 20 after career adjustments.

So, I guess I'm asking, does T5 stat dice map directly to Mongoose (or Classic) Traveller, and if not, is there a conversion I could use?

Not counting that I find it hard to swallow that a giant grasshopper is going be stronger than a centaur with tank blood, have I got my head screwed on right about this?

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.