Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old August 12th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Yeah, that's kind of what Aramis and I were talking about, and what you alluded to earlier.

I seem to recall the Templars made their last stand on either Malta or Cyprus. More later … gotta go conquer a kingdom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
that would have been the Templars contemporaries, the Knights Hospitaller, aka the knights of St John.

They moved form Jerusalem, to Rhodes, to Malta as they were progressively kicked out of the previous home by Islamic expansion.

The Templars moved back to france, and then were destroyed by the French king (or went underground to seek the Pieces of Eden )
However, at one point the Knights Templar even owned the entire island of Cyprus, having purchased it from Richard II of England in 1192 (they sold it to Guy of Lusignan later the same year). Their headquarters moved from Acre to Limassol on the island of Cyprus in 1291, and they also attempted to maintain a garrison on tiny Arwad Island, just off the coast from Tortosa. In 1300, there was some attempt to engage in coordinated military efforts with the Mongols via a new invasion force at Arwad. In 1302 or 1303, however, the Templars lost the island to the Egyptian Mamluk Sultanate in the Siege of Arwad. With the island gone, the Crusaders lost their last foothold in the Holy Land.

Their headquarters remained on Cyprus until the order was "arrested" in 1307. In 1312, Pope Clement V issued a series of papal bulls, including Vox in excelso, which officially dissolved the order, and Ad providam, which turned over most Templar assets to the Hospitallers.
Old August 12th, 2018, 10:25 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

That has the ring of truth to it. My Osprey books are in storage.

The three big orders during the early medieval period were; the Templars, the Hospitallars and the Teutonic. I think there were several other, some of which subsidiaries, but from those rose attempts to form other orders. And eventually those that survived became the honorary orders we know today.

I think there's adventure material to be mined here.
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:46 PM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
In Dell'origine dei Cavalieri (1566), the Italian scholar Francesco Sansovino (1521–1586) distinguished knights and their respective societies in three main categories:

"Knights of the Cross", comparable to the modern term military orders
"Knights of Spur", i.e. invested by the Pope or other sovereign, thus somewhat comparable to dynastic orders of knighthood, or later by feudal lords and knights elderly[clarification needed]
"Knights of Necklace", i.e. purely ornamental

Over time, the above division became no longer sufficient, and heraldic science distinguished orders into: hereditary, military, religious and fees.

Monarchical orders

Late medieval monarchical orders (14th and 15th centuries) are orders of chivalry with the presidency attached to a monarch:

Order of Saint George, founded by Charles I of Hungary in 1325
Order of the Band, founded by Alfonso XI of Castile in ca. 1330
Order of the Garter, founded by Edward III of England in 1348
Order of the Star, founded by John II of France in 1351
Supreme Order of the Most Holy Annunciation, founded by Amadeus VI, Count of Savoy in 1362.
Order of the Ermine, founded by John V, Duke of Brittany in 1381: First order to accept Women.
Order of the Ship, founded by Charles III of Naples on 1 December 1381
Order of the Dragon, founded by Sigismund von Luxembourg in 1408.
Order of the Golden Fleece, founded by Philip III, Duke of Burgundy in 1430
Order of Saint Michael, founded by Louis XI of France in 1469

Post-medieval foundations of chivalric orders:

Order of Saint Stephen (1561)
Order of the Holy Spirit (1578)
Blood of Jesus Christ (military order) (1608)
Order of the Thistle (1687)
Order of Saint Louis (1694)
Order of the Seraphim (1748)
Order of Saint Stephen of Hungary (1764)
Order of St. Patrick (1783)
Order of Saint Joseph (1807)

Monarchical orders whose monarch no longer reigns but continues to bestow the order:

Order of the Golden Fleece (Austrian branch)
Order of the Holy Spirit
Order of Prince Danilo I of Montenegro
Order of Saint Peter of Cetinje
Order of Skanderbeg
Royal Order of Saint George for the Defense of the Immaculate Conception (Bavaria)
Order of the Crown (Romania)
Order of Carol I (Romania)
Order of the Immaculate Conception of Vila Viçosa (Portugal)
Order of Saint Michael of the Wing (Portugal)
Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George (Two Sicilies)
Order of the Eagle of Georgia (Georgia)
Order of Queen Tamara (Georgia)
Order of the Crown of Georgia (Georgia)
Royal Order of the Crown of Hawai'i (Hawai'i)

Confraternal orders

Confraternal orders are orders of chivalry with the presidency attached to a nobleman:

Princely orders were founded by noblemen of higher rank. Most of these were founded in imitation of the Order of the Golden Fleece, after 1430:

Order of Saint Catherine, founded by Humbert II, Dauphin du Viennois in ca. 1335
Order of Saint Anthony, founded by Albrecht I of Bavaria in 1384
Society of the Eagle, founded by Albrecht II von Habsburg in 1433
Society of Our Lady (Order of the Swan), founded by Frederick II, Elector of Brandenburg in 1440
Order of Saint Hubert, founded by Gerhard V of Jülich and Berg in 1444
Order of the Crescent, founded by René d'Anjou in 1448
Society of Saint Jerome, founded by Friedrich II of Wettin in 1450

Baronial orders, founded by noblemen of lower rank:

Order of Saint Hubert (Barrois, 1422)
Noble Order of Saint George of Rougemont, also called Confraternity of Saint-Georges of Burgundy (Franche-Comté, 1440)

Fraternal orders

Fraternal orders are orders of chivalry that were formed off a vow & for a certain enterprise:

Compagnie of the Black Swan, founded by 3 princes and 11 knights in Savoy (1350)
Corps et Ordre du Tiercelet, founded by the vicomte de Thouars and 17 barons in Poitou (1377–1385)
Ordre de la Pomme d'Or, founded by 14 knights in Auvergne (1394)
Alliance et Compagnie du Levrier, founded by 44 knights in the Barrois (1416–1422), subsequently converted into the Confraternal order of Saint Hubert

Votive orders

Votive orders are orders of chivalry, temporarily formed on the basis of a vow. These were courtly chivalric games rather than actual pledges as in the case of the fraternal orders. Three are known from their statutes:

Emprise de l'Escu vert à la Dame Blanche (Enterprise of the green shield with the white lady), founded by Jean Le Maingre dit Boucicaut and 12 knights in 1399 for the duration of 5 years
Emprise du Fer de Prisonnier (Enterprise of the Prisoner's Iron), founded by Jean de Bourbon and 16 knights in 1415 for the duration of 2 years
Emprise de la gueule de dragon (Enterprise of the Dragon's Mouth), founded by Jean comte de Foix in 1446 for 1 year.

Honorific orders

Honorific orders were honorific insignia consisting of nothing but the badge:

Order of the Stoat and the Ear, founded by Francis I, Duke of Brittany in 1448
Order of the Golden Spur, a papal order (since the 14th century, flourishes in the 16th century)

Together with the monarchical chivalric orders these honorific orders are the prime ancestors of the modern-day orders of knighthood which are orders of merit in character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
In 1053, for the Battle of Civitate, the Knights of Saint Peter (Milites Sancti Petri) was founded as a militia by Pope Leo IX to counter the Normans.

Knights Hospitaller (Sovereign Military Order of Malta) c.1099-1113

The foundation of the Knights Templar (Supreme Order of Christ) in 1118 provided the first in a series of tightly organized military forces for the purpose of opposing Islamic conquests in the Holy Land and in the Iberian Peninsula as well as Islamic invaders and pagan tribes in Eastern Europe which were perceived as threats to the Church's supremacy.

Order of Saint Lazarus (Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus) c.1118

The first secularized military order was the Order of Saint George, founded in 1326 by King Charles I of Hungary, through which he made all the Hungarian nobility swear loyalty to him. Shortly thereafter, the Order of the "Knights of the Band" was founded in 1332 by King Alfonso XI of Castile. Both orders existed only for about a century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milita...ilitary_orders
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/med...ly-orders.html
Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I seem to recall the Templars preceded the Hospitaller order, but my memory isn't that good on that. In any event, there be orders out there.
Old Yesterday, 03:28 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I think there's adventure material to be mined here.
The outlawed Psionic Orders were a topic of adventure in MT. The idea that the Imperium, or the later conquered corners of it (like Old Expanses or the back-and-forth areas around Sol), has had Orders of Knighthood or other Fraternal Militant organizations that didn't make the transition to Imperial rule certainly has potential. Using the Crusade angle works very well in the Daibei area, as such organizations might have arisen during the Long Night to combat the encroaching Aslan but were brushed aside, disenfranchised, and eventually criminalized for actions that met their centuries old traditions and missions but were not acceptable to the Imperium. I think similar could be found in Trojan Reach, where (inspiration) the Ordo Tobia waged war against the denizens of the deeper Reach during the early Imperial years, but refused to acknowledge diplomatic solutions reached as the Imperial border solidified...

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
agorski Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
The outlawed Psionic Orders were a topic of adventure in MT.
According to a serial adventure in Challenge magazine, the Order of the White Star is still lurking around. I managed to get a knighthood in that order from Marc from the T5 kickstarter.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+GypsyComet Citizen+

Which is why I said "outlawed" and not "extinct".

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)