Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old July 13th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Ran Targas Citizen
Very nice Crow! Man, you do excellent work!
Old July 14th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow
Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua Bell:
I'm reminded of the "starmaps" you see in movies like the later Star Treks or Serenity.
Whilst I can't name a specific influence, that's pretty much where the idea came from, you're right.

I've gone through and resized all the planets so that they are in relative scale to each other which actually looks quite nice - except for poor Dinom which has become vertually a dot [img]smile.gif[/img] - It adds even more variety to the image. I need to add the Starport, Gas Giant and naval/scout base icons now but I'm undecided on this: The map as it stands could be used for the Spinward Marches in any period. However if I start putting in political boundaries and starport/base data it locks it to one period (ie 1110). So I don't know wether to put that info on the map or put it in an accompanying datafile.

As an aside, whilst making this map I began to notice discrepancies that I'd never seen in all my years as a Traveller fan. For example, Shinothy on some maps is Shionthy on others. On my original reference map there was a planet between Ghandi and Dinomn called, Ochre. This doesn't appear on any other Spinward Marches map that I have found! And there were others. In the end I decided that I should pick one official source and go with that, so my main source has been 'Behind the Claw'.

Crow
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarecrow:
I need to add the Starport, Gas Giant and naval/scout base icons now but I'm undecided on this: The map as it stands could be used for the Spinward Marches in any period. However if I start putting in political boundaries and starport/base data it locks it to one period (ie 1110). So I don't know wether to put that info on the map or put it in an accompanying datafile.
A 'generic' map is a great idea, it would allow eople to do heir own versions. Easy: make one 'blank' file, and then start doing full-symbol versions for different eras to your heart's content (I know, I know, an artist is never content).

Quote:
As an aside, whilst making this map I began to notice discrepancies that I'd never seen in all my years as a Traveller fan ... In the end I decided that I should pick one official source and go with that, so my main source has been 'Behind the Claw'.
It's always best to pick one source and stick with it, IMO. I exclusively use my original SM map from the deluxe boxed set.
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:10 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Oh, now that is nice! And I know how much work it takes...
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Good work, Crow! (and keep it up)...you are carving the path to a newer and better version of Traveller!

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old July 17th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Scarecrow Citizen
Allright then!

Come and get it.

The full map as a jpg at 200dpi
<a href="http://www.waynepeters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/temp/regina_map.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

or...

<a href="http://www.waynepeters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/temp/regina_map.pdf" target="_blank">
The map in 4 quarters with overlap to print out at A4 and stick together - PDF flavour.</a>

It's amazing innit? I finally get it together to post and only now do I notice graphical errors! All the system data is correct I think but there are things like hard edges on atmospheres and that sort of thing!

Arse!

Not to worry. I've made all the planets scaled to each other and I've added a red dot to denote the presence of a gas giant too. I also shrank the planet names a little as they looked enormous when printed!
I may well expand the diameter on this one day to encompass all of Regina and Lanth but for now I'm off to play Jedi Academy...

See you soon,

Crow

PS - where you been, Boulton?
Old July 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
I've been busy arranging a tactical nuclear strike on BT head office.
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM

Scarecrow Citizen
Too good for 'em!

Something wierd's happened. I'm sure the atmospheres on the planets weren't screwed like that in the PDF before I flattened it. I'm wondering if the JPEG compression has done something screwy. I'll have a look at it in the morning and if I can fix it, I'll repost both the JPEG and the PDF.

Crow
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Where's Lave and Reidquat?
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Scarecrow Citizen
▮▮▮▮▮▮ knows! Where are they supposed to be? [img]smile.gif[/img]