Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old November 8th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Rodina Citizen
(I don't buy the idea that there are "no stupid questions" but this may not qualify).

I admit to being somewhat (deliberately) obtuse to the whole d20 stuff, and even in the discussions of the rule books around here - I just glaze over comments about d20 conversions, etc.

Anyway, so I go to my local store to pick up T20 and I see that I need to buy a set of d20 core rules. Okay, fair enough, but there are like 8,000 d20 games out there and even the obvious one, AD&D, has like five core rules books.

To wit: which books do I actually need?
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

PapaGolfWhiskey Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to PapaGolfWhiskey
It has to be a wizards of the coast book and it has to contain 'Players handbook' type information.

for me the choice was simple, I bought a D&D players handbook since I'm in a stable d&D game.

once I got up to speed I found that I hardly refered to it though.

I might use it for some low tech weapon's variety later on. I suspect I will need it when the rare combat happens but... for Chargen. Once I got that handly outline that was on the other thread the THB has been all I needed. It helps to be an old traveller hand though. And/or somewhat familier with D&D 3e. A friend of mine who was neither found the book FULL of holes to which I am blind.
Old November 8th, 2002, 12:14 PM

BluWolf Citizen
All you need is the player's handbook, but I would argue it could be the D&D PHB, the Star Wars or even (effective today) D20 modern.

It doesn't matter.

But I think you can still find the D&D PHB for about $20 bucks on Ebay or Half.com.
Old November 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM

Ellros Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Ellros
After looking over the D20 Modern SRD mentioned in another thread, I don't think it would really be a good choice as a "core" book for T20. I think the PHB works better.

And I am not impressed with D20 Modern, IMO.
Old November 9th, 2002, 04:48 AM

bozzutoman Citizen
I would suggest the Star Wars RPG core book.

As it is SciFi-based, it will have more useful stuff beyond the necessary data. The aliens, character classes, feats, etc. could easily be convereted.

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." Andre Gide
Old November 9th, 2002, 05:38 AM

themink Citizen
The "rules" that you need to abstract from a d20 "players" handbook can be reduced to about three sentances.

They are not open gaming content and it owuld be a bad thing for someone else to tell you what they are.

They are not complicated and you could probably come up with a variation of them that was playable without any clue as to what the "correct" answer is.

I think I've skirted about as close as I can to the legal aspects of it, so I'll shut up.

I posted a topic in another of these boards that was, in retrospect, openly breaking the license issue. Hunter kindly removed it for me (I actually do mean kindly here, it's hard to convey "Not Sarcastic" when writing). Gaming companies band over backwards not to "come the heavy" about these issues, but there is a line you shouldn;t cross.

PS Yes the D&D 3rd Ed Players handbook gives you what you would need, ditto Starwars. I haven;t read the modern rules, but I imagine they would also.
Old November 9th, 2002, 11:22 AM

Simon Jester Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Simon Jester
Please note that WoTC has recently released the necessary Character Creation rules as a seperate booklet. You don't even need a PHB any more, just the booklet.

Simon Jester [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Space Vikings? There ain\'t no space vikings here. Just us honest traders. The settlement was burning, the colonists were dead. They didn\'t need that technology anyway. That\'s our story and we\'re sticking to it.
Old November 9th, 2002, 12:41 PM

BluWolf Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Jester:
Please note that WoTC has recently released the necessary Character Creation rules as a seperate booklet. You don't even need a PHB any more, just the booklet.

Simon Jester [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Would like to see this document. Is it an ESD? Do you have a link?
Old November 9th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Commonman Citizen
You could also try www.opengamingfoundation.org
apparently you can download the rule here.
Old November 10th, 2002, 01:16 AM

Reginald Citizen
Arrow

Simon Jester,

I don't recall Wizards planning to release a character creation booklet. That would defeat their marketing strategy of selling their core rulebooks for d20-based products.

HOWEVER, I did recall Hunter planning to release a T20 character creation rules booklet under the OGL, or simply the T20 logo (trademark owned by QuikLink/Far Future Enterprises). The booklet will not bear the familiar "d20 system" trademarked logo.