Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen
Default Darrians in Alien Module 8

Are Darrians considered more prone to psionics than most other races (excluding the Droyne and Zhodani ) ?

Just rummaging around my PDF and came across Cascade skills on pg29(31 in pdf) and it seemed offer psionics where most other races don't. Of course I'm not an expert on CT Alien Modules either. Further searching didn't reveal much. Maybe I'm trying to read too much into a small portion of the book.

Thanks for taking the time.

>

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin

Last edited by Gadrin; March 13th, 2009 at 01:02 PM..
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen
Cool Interesting

If you look at the skill tables Talent isn't even listed there.
And psionics does not appear to be mentioned once in the whole book.

Oops maybe.
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Ranger Citizen

I think there were a few cut and paste errors that snuck into that one. There are a couple of places where it says Aslan when it should say Darrian, so it could just be a mis-pasted list.
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:56 PM

Gadrin Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I think there were a few cut and paste errors that snuck into that one. There are a couple of places where it says Aslan when it should say Darrian, so it could just be a mis-pasted list.
???

Well earlier on in the book/pdf it mentions that a great deal of non-genetic Darrians are Aslans (and others too).

Apparently Aslans settled there a while ago.

I thought psionics *might* have something to do with the fact they're
a rather ancient culture compared to some of the neighbors.

But I'm guessing.

>

Thanks, Gadrin
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Ranger Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin View Post
???

Well earlier on in the book/pdf it mentions that a great deal of non-genetic Darrians are Aslans (and others too).

Apparently Aslans settled there a while ago.

I thought psionics *might* have something to do with the fact they're
a rather ancient culture compared to some of the neighbors.

But I'm guessing.

>
It's possible I am mistaken about which module that mistake was in (I've been reading through several of them lately). I do distinctly remember it though in a couple of the boilerplate paragraphs. Anyway, as I said, when things like that crop up in GDW stuff I just attribute it to copy and paste errors in the writing process.
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Personally, I think the Darrians in the interest of keeping on the Imperium's good side keep their use of psionics low-key, but that they do use it.

(This is from an Amber Zone I wrote for JTAS Online; it's not canon, of course: "Since psionics is not illegal in the Darrian Confederation, it seems likely that adepts can be found there, too. However, if there are any, the Darrians do not advertise the fact.").

Hans
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM

beowulf2044 Citizen

On page #46 in the Advanced Character Generation, you can roll for Telepathy under the Special Arm Branch. That's it. Yet another item that needs attention in the Classic Traveller setting.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM

Gadrin Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf2044 View Post
On page #46 in the Advanced Character Generation, you can roll for Telepathy under the Special Arm Branch. That's it. Yet another item that needs attention in the Classic Traveller setting.
Ah, much thanks!

Well that's a pretty narrow option, however PCs or NPCs can be wrangled into being full psionics, what with the extra-Imperial origins.

I just happened to come across (my first post) and the fact that the Darrians are pro-Solomani (or can be) as well as having Darrian Aslans, is just perfect for a scenario I'm concocting. The possibility for psionics is even better.

I love it when ideas mesh nicely with canon.

I'm ripping off Han's Spice Ship running it from another merchant group (Imperials but less than scrupulous fellows) and they're headed into the Reaver's Deep with it. I don't think they'd turn out a like-minded Darrian, who happens to be psionic.

Boy this came together nicely. < looks for Blue Moon in sky tonight >

>

Thanks, Gadrin
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Personally, I think the Darrians in the interest of keeping on the Imperium's good side keep their use of psionics low-key, but that they do use it.

(This is from an Amber Zone I wrote for JTAS Online; it's not canon, of course: "Since psionics is not illegal in the Darrian Confederation, it seems likely that adepts can be found there, too. However, if there are any, the Darrians do not advertise the fact.").

Hans
This is the conclusion that I, and separately the guy running my group's Traveller campaign, came to; I played a Darrian for a while and asked.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin View Post
I just happened to come across (my first post) and the fact that the Darrians are pro-Solomani (or can be)...

Gadrin,

I'd say they're pro-Solomani while also not being pro-Solomani Party or pro-Solomani Confederation.

Given their history of gentle contact and technological uplift by Terrans, the Darrians remember what Terrans and Terra used to be like before the Long Night, Imperial Civil War, and the creation of the Solomani Sphere.

Also, given the fact that the Darrians are a minor race and their confederation includes Aslan as full members, they'd be somewhat shortsighted to embrace a political and social system that assigns permanent second class status (or worse) to human minor and alien races.

Your campaign could gain a lot from that dichotomy. There'd be Solomani they meet who assume that the Darrians' pro-Solomani leanings equate automatic support for the Solomanis' current political and racial goals and there'd be Darrians aboard who'd never really examined the current political and racial aspects of the people they admire.

Pulling out a Real World example here: Examine the great disappointment and shock felt by many African students who attended the University of Moscow during the days of the USSR. They'd been raised since they were toddlers on tales of the benevolent communists who were fighting Western imperialism while also eschewing racism and eagerly took the opportunity offered them to attend U-of-M, only to find themselves thought of and treated as "n-words" or worse by their fellow students, professors, others once in Moscow.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by Whipsnade; March 14th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: spelling