Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old February 22nd, 2021, 04:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Could always make her bigger.
Yea, but then you'd need to name her Broomhilda, or Olga.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 06:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

I'm trying not to make her too much of a Mary Sue. There is a native race with similar abilities in the Andromeda Sector, these are thr Aleerins, I am importing D20 Future Alien races to my T20 game. Aleerins are a race of cyborg like humanoids that originated from the StarDrive/Alternity setting, at around 1130 the Virus made some incursions into the Andromeda sector when it took control of the Jumpgate, one thing that thwarted it was its unfamiliarity with the alien tech that it wasn't compatible with, and the Aleerins were crucial in beating back the Virus due to their superior hacking capability, they are not 100% machines the way Ingrid is. Ingrid has three positronic brains she could upload to, there is her humanoid body, her battle robot body and her starship computer, she has a tech level 16 Scout/Courier with a positronic ship's computer which is capable of hosting her AI program.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:14 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

That's a couple of times I've heard "Mary Sue".

Can someone summarize a "Mary Sue" to a layman?
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
That's a couple of times I've heard "Mary Sue".

Can someone summarize a "Mary Sue" to a layman?
Mary Sue is a special character created by the author, she is the star of the show, she is the best at everything, has no flaws or weakness, and undergoes no character development because she is already perfect, and example of a Mary Sue in science fiction is Wesley Crusher in Star Trek: The Next Generation. A more recent example is Rey in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, episodes VII, VIII, and IX. In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, there is Captain Marvel.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:50 PM

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

From Wikipedia:
Mary Sue

A Mary Sue is a type of fictional character, usually a young woman, who is portrayed as unrealistically free of weaknesses.[1] Originating in fan fiction, a Mary Sue is often an author's idealized self-insertion. Mary Sue stories are often written by adolescent authors.[2]

The term Mary Sue was coined by Paula Smith, as a character's name in the 1973 parody short story "A Trekkie's Tale", which satirized idealized female characters widespread in Star Trek fan fiction. A male character with similar traits may be labeled a Gary Stu or Marty Stu.

ETA: Ninja'd!
Old February 23rd, 2021, 01:01 PM

This is a 3-dimensional rendering of the Subsector she inhabits from two different angles and above is a chart of the main colonized system which I named the Helios-Gaia system, as you can see, it is very similar to our Solar System, and has one extra gas giant, it was originally a drawing era, but I decided to make it official by adding an extra planet. The two inner most gas Giants are Zeus and Hera, other moons not shown are present, they are size 1 and under. The mainworlds other than Gaia have temporary names. (I just rolled them up along with the stars, I have no ideas for them yet.)
Here is the site it is at
https://www.deviantart.com/tomkalbfu...Gaia-871279682

Last edited by Werner; February 23rd, 2021 at 01:18 PM..
Old February 23rd, 2021, 02:07 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

1. Adolescent fan fiction: I'm told the overriding characteristic is that everyone (is supposed to) love her, usually a way for the writer to insert themselves into an existing story.

2. As for Captain Marvel, this is more a recent phenomenon, and usually accredited to writers with an agenda.

3. There's a theory that the reason why all the heroines of the recent Star Wars films, Rey, Jyn and Qi'ra, are all British brunettes is that they are the avatar of someone in Lucasfilms.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 03:46 PM

AtlanticFriend Citizen+AtlanticFriend Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Ingrid and a few other AIs are viewed with a great deal of suspicion, and so they wish to keep a low profile.
So she IS identified as a robot then. Well, that lifts off some design restrictions I suppose, as she does not have to be able to fool even a careful observer into thinking she is human. So yes, you can make her taller and/or heavier and not care too much about her having a ballerina skinny figure.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
1. Adolescent fan fiction: I'm told the overriding characteristic is that everyone (is supposed to) love her, usually a way for the writer to insert themselves into an existing story.

2. As for Captain Marvel, this is more a recent phenomenon, and usually accredited to writers with an agenda.

3. There's a theory that the reason why all the heroines of the recent Star Wars films, Rey, Jyn and Qi'ra, are all British brunettes is that they are the avatar of someone in Lucasfilms.
Well Rey is the granddaughter of Palpatine and they both have British accents.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticFriend View Post
So she IS identified as a robot then. Well, that lifts off some design restrictions I suppose, as she does not have to be able to fool even a careful observer into thinking she is human. So yes, you can make her taller and/or heavier and not care too much about her having a ballerina skinny figure.
robots can go heavy without looking fat simply by increasing her density. She could look like a ballerina yet weigh 250 kg, someone who attempts to throw her may get an unpleasant surprise.