Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old July 31st, 2020, 01:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
Madmax Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwapTED View Post
I am a big fan of the movie. It's right up there with Forbidden Planet.
I never did read the book.

Ejection with people on it might work, sure.

Have you read A Pail of Air? It's a short story by Fritz Leiber.
No, but I did read an article by (IIRC) Marc Miller in The Space Gamer in which he used "A Pail of Air" as the basis for improvising a Traveller adventure. That was probably around 1982, so I think I have at least some familiarity with the story, assuming Marc didn't twist things too much. I've always wished I could improvise that well.
Old July 31st, 2020, 03:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 21
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
It is pretty certain that such ejections, though astronomically rare, do happen.
I'd have thought ejections of planets (particularly small ones) are relatively common, astronomically, while the ejection of planets that are big enough and have lasted long enough to have intelligent life would be a really, really tiny proportion.
Old July 31st, 2020, 10:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Madmax Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackworldTraveller View Post
I'd have thought ejections of planets (particularly small ones) are relatively common, astronomically, while the ejection of planets that are big enough and have lasted long enough to have intelligent life would be a really, really tiny proportion.
I don't think enough is known, yet, about how all that works for scientists to be able to do more than make educated guesses about how often it happens.
Old July 31st, 2020, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
I don't think enough is known, yet, about how all that works for scientists to be able to do more than make educated guesses about how often it happens.
Enough is known that it's safe to say, Ejections should happen quite a lot.

It's also fair to say that the ejection does not need to occur after life evolves; the requisite is having enough water.

There are a number of detected class L and T objects that are not close to (proper) stars, and an expectation to find some class Y objects.

L class, L0 to L9, overlaps/replaces M10-M19, T are the next cooler, and Y are presumed to be large hot non-stars in the 5-15 Mjupiter range.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 1st, 2020, 04:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Further thoughts on this planet:

1) Given the speed and coruse of the planet, it is highly likely (~90%) that the planet was ejected from a nearby solar system, approximately 300,000 years ago, roughly at the time of the disappearance of the Ancients. what part they played in the events are not known, but the given the timing it is assumed the two events are linked.

2) the planet supported a conventional aquatic ecosystem before the ejection, but that collapsed as the planet moved away form the sun and the free energy it provided. A limited eco-system based around energy extracted from the hydro-thermal vents in the depths of the ocean survived, however, and it is this that the colonists used as the basis of their own food chain, with Chemosynthetic bacteria feeding off the vents, which feed algae, which feed fish and other higher forms of life. most local fish are blind, given the lack of light in the depths, and tend to rely on smell, eco-location, electroreception, and other non-visual methods of "seeing". their is a persistent rumour that some fish appear to use full on Psionic abilites to "see", but no real proof has ever been produced.

3) exports are somewhat limited, given the remote location and the low population and infrastructure. The frozen gases on the surface is mined mostly for domestic use, but turns a small profit selling excess to traders. However, the major income is in fast the local fauna, which, by necessity, form one of the few properly documented sun-independent eco-systems in Known Space, and their is a steady trade in fish form the planet as exotic curios thoughout the subsector and beyond. Being blind, the fish are not bothered by sudden changes in lighting levels, or constant bright lights that might affect the sleeping patterns of normal fish, and as such are popular as pets in certain environments that experience constant light. this curio trade takes second place, however, to a organ harvested form a local fish, which naturally creates a chemical vital in the production of anti-aging treatments, and does so cheaper than could be done by conventional technology. It is this low volume, high value trade good that lets the planetary economy function at all. bringing in the money to pay off the costs of trying to live in such a place.

4) their is a small research station on the planet, funded by local universities and several corporations, which studies the wildlife in detail for posterity and profit. it was these researchers that discovered the anti-aging properties of the fish, and hope to find other equally profitable discoveries in the depths. the grants and money this station brings into the community form a significant part of the planetary budget, and the regular supply runs to the station have brought a stability to the visiting trader volume that has significantly improved the local economy by stabilising the price and turn-around times of imported goods.
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old August 2nd, 2020, 10:23 AM

Vargr Breath Citizen

Hi
With all this talk of rogue planets, no one has brought up Mongo yet?
Old September 13th, 2020, 11:33 PM

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwapTED View Post
I'm going with the smaller option, with a much higher relative (to Earth) water mass.

That does raise a question about UWP. I plugged in zero because there's no liquid water on the frozen surface. But the world has a lot of liquid water below the ice and frozen former atmosphere.
So should this be 0 for hydrography or something unusual rating about A?

And boost size to A or leave it at 9?

Thoughts?
Bigger is probably better. The overall density will determine local gravity; to me the question of interest is the depth of the subsurface ocean -- too deep and the pressures (and exotic ices and such) may make seafloor mineral extraction too mechanically difficult.

Definitely Hydro-A, though. Depending on your chosen rules version, it can be nearly impossible to roll it up that way, but it is logical and consistent with modern planetology models, and -- in the Terra system at least -- the general prevalence of water.
Old September 14th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

here is a link from Daily Galaxy about island worlds, aka rogue planets

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old September 14th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Vargr Breath Citizen

Hi
How about making the planet a moon of a Brown Dwarf ? You could use the heat from the Dwarf and tidal forces to heat it up some more.
Old September 15th, 2020, 02:28 PM

BwapTED Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr Breath View Post
Hi
How about making the planet a moon of a Brown Dwarf ? You could use the heat from the Dwarf and tidal forces to heat it up some more.

I will definitely use that idea, but for another world.

Dwarf stars are fun.