Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old November 28th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen+CaptRet Citizen+

The Core Rulebook (2nd ed.) allows for Background Skills (see page 8) at level 0 (the number you can have is equal to Education DM +3, so 0 to 6 depending on Education). Per the rulebook, these represent knowledge acquired during adolescence. There are 17 listed, and the referee can (I suppose) limit the Traveller to those likely to have been accessible on the planet of her/his upbringing (and, I suppose, make some others available - e.g. gun/slug thrower might be a common skill on a frontier world where you have to protect your herds from predators). Language is one of the choices ( I suppose you could live in a multi-lingual environment and pick up Vilani, or hear the grandparents speaking it at home).

Last edited by CaptRet; November 28th, 2019 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: added a word
Old July 2nd, 2020, 01:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-3

Wolfsbane Citizen

I definitely like a good suite of Homeworld Background skills, Environmental/Cultural and Education ... and Events that occasionally bulk or elevate those up.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 04:41 PM

Gallery : 21
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen
One I've found useful is to give everyone a Network (Family) or Network (Childhood)...those persons that their early years means that they know on their homeworld. Per other Networks, they can be useful for finding some who knows someone who knows something.

I've also found that defining that they have Language([Home])+3 or 2xLanguage ([Home])+2 gives the native languages a bit of breadth. The +3 is unaccented; +2 is with a bit of an accent.
Old July 4th, 2020, 01:37 PM

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackworldTraveller View Post
One I've found useful is to give everyone a Network (Family) or Network (Childhood)...those persons that their early years means that they know on their homeworld. Per other Networks, they can be useful for finding some who knows someone who knows something.

I've also found that defining that they have Language([Home])+3 or 2xLanguage ([Home])+2 gives the native languages a bit of breadth. The +3 is unaccented; +2 is with a bit of an accent.
Network(political) or Network(criminal), given the right law level or government?

I've toyed with the idea of including language skills more freely in character creation, including non-vocal ones: gestural (combat or vacc suit environs), tap-codes (in mines or small ships), even whistled language [wikipedia] (perhaps an alien language adopted by colonists or traders).

I long ago ran a mini campaign where trade languages, pidgins and creoles, figured in. The players broke the mood as they affected bad Jamaican accents. (pre-JarJar Binks). I don't think the trade exploration campaign was BAD idea per se, but I'd have to be a little more choosy about the target audience to revisit it.
Old July 4th, 2020, 10:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuthod View Post
Network(political) or Network(criminal), given the right law level or government?
Wouldn't another existing skill suffice? It prevents skill bloat.

BTW I like MgT 1e skills more. It's opposite day for me LOL
Old July 5th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Both are protection rackets.

Networks means you know someone, or know someone who knows someone, or have the means to contact the appropriate people.
Old July 5th, 2020, 03:17 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
EDU DM in 0-level Background Skills

Level in Language (Anglic) equal to your EDU DM
EDU DM in 0-level Language Skills
What happens if the EDU DM is negative?

Has the player to forfeit some of the told skills?

And even worse, has he negative level in Galanglic (aside from not knowing any other one), so being unable to communiate fluidly (as it depends on EDU, probably too heavily slanged or local accent to be understood by most people)?

See that this could have effect in many skills use (mostly in social ones, as Carousing, Steward, etc.)

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; July 29th, 2020 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: typos
Old July 29th, 2020, 07:40 AM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

Twilight Sector's Tinker, Spacer, Psion, Spy has a really cool background skill variant. Basically, you qualify for backgrounds based on the Trade Code as normal OR if you have a Characteristic that is +1 or greater you qualify for backgrounds from that table.

Old August 24th, 2020, 12:16 PM

Gallery : 21
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen
I came across an interesting suggestion: For street-kids in poorer parts of society, allow them to start as a Drifter (Wanderer) or Rogue (Thief) at age 14 but SOC-3 (min=0) and EDU-3 (min=0) and promotion DM -2 in this term.

The Term or Promotion benefit roll(s) for that first term must be:
1: Addiction (Recreational Drug)
2: Injury
3: Blade
4: Contact (Rogue)
5: Contact (Agent or Citizen)
6+: Ally (Any)

This gives the character an early start but limits the access to anything in the advanced education sphere for life and stunts their social level considerably!
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
So I wanted to expand Background Skills a bit to make a more rounded character and give the player a chance to ask questions about their surroundings and upbringing while in a game.

I'm also thinking about adding a Family Background Skill to show something the character did with or because of their family.

What do you think?
_____

EXPANDED BACKGROUND SKILLS

All applicable Homeworld Skills

1 0-level Imperium Knowledge (History, Law, Races, Worlds, Banking and Currency, Starships and Starports, TL-14 Technology, Nobles and Celebrities, etc...)
1 0-level Known Space Knowledge
1 0-level Background School Skill
1 0-level Background Hobby Skill

EDU DM in 0-level Background Skills

Level in Language (Anglic) equal to your EDU DM
EDU DM in 0-level Language Skills
I would just add a Savant skill to MgT.