Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Twilight:2000 > TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E

TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E Discussion of the Twilight: 2000 from GDW.

Old November 10th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJN View Post
You could. You also could be less 'prickly' when people speculate and arrive at different conclusions than your own. We have already established that Twilight is a rough estimate, not a close model, of the real world as it was.
As for being "prickly", that is my personality. I also have some health issues, so decided that my energy and time could best be used elsewhere.

Quote:
For what it is worth, the current situation in Venezuela could be used to explain why some long-standing Third World refineries are out of operation or only producing a trickle. Humans cannot eat or drink oil.

Plus, both USSR and NATO would react badly if/when they found out about a third party selling lots of oil to the other combatant. They might lob a 'don't do that again' warning warhead on an offender who cannot do anything to retaliate. As noted above, the rulebooks are silent on conditions in much of the world, so you can decide what sounds reasonable to you and work from there.
After talking with Marc, I pretty much dropped the whole idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 9th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
vegascat Citizen

I remember running a game with airmen on an airbase in Germany in the 80s and early 90s. I run the game using 1st edition rules playing the basic scenario of cut off behind the Soviet spring offensive.
The main problem I encountered was Rambo syndrome. Characters could get hit multiple times and not be killed, or seriously wounded.
The one thing they did was fire LAW rockets into several fuel tankers from a deep ditch about 10 feet away. They didn’t realize that the burning fuel from the ruptured tankers would flood the ditch they were taking cover in. The ditches in Germany were 2 to 3 meters deep everywhere. The next week we started a new game, WEG Star Wars RPG.
Old September 9th, 2020, 07:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascat View Post
I remember running a game with airmen on an airbase in Germany in the 80s and early 90s. I run the game using 1st edition rules playing the basic scenario of cut off behind the Soviet spring offensive.
The main problem I encountered was Rambo syndrome. Characters could get hit multiple times and not be killed, or seriously wounded.
That is one reason why I use the combat system in Don Featherstone's Skirmish Wargaming. Rambos die very quickly in that. It focuses the players on not getting hit to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascat View Post
The one thing they did was fire LAW rockets into several fuel tankers from a deep ditch about 10 feet away. They didn’t realize that the burning fuel from the ruptured tankers would flood the ditch they were taking cover in. The ditches in Germany were 2 to 3 meters deep everywhere. The next week we started a new game, WEG Star Wars RPG.
I am not sure if LAW rockets would arm at that short a distance. I would have to check on that. They probably would punch through the tank steel on the tankers, and be hot enough to ignite any fuel carried. If they did go off, you have the fragments of the rocket to deal with, some of which are going right back in the direction from which they were fired. Then, the burning fuel, which might come out more in a stream that goes right into the ditch. I hope that you thoroughly roasted the idiots doing this.

EDIT NOTE: I checked, and the arming range for the LAW is 9 meters or about 10 yards. The hot rocket would likely end up inside the tank, which a stream of burning fuel jetting out into the ditch. No explosion, but toasted firers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.