Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Twilight:2000 > TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E

TWILIGHT: 2000 1E/2E Discussion of the Twilight: 2000 from GDW.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 16th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Putraack Putraack is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 181
Gallery : 0
Putraack Citizen
Default

There is also a map of the Transcaucasus on DTRPG, made up to match the style of the game's Poland and Germany maps.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 22nd, 2018, 10:46 PM
timerover51's Avatar
timerover51 timerover51 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North of Chicago
Posts: 6,468
Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen
Default

I picked up the East African Sourcebook and also the Korean Peninsula sourcebook from DriveThru, along with the Gateway to the Spanish Main with the new USS Constitution, which I actually have in hard copy somewhere in my basement. I actually picked up Twilight 2000 because of that adventure module.

The East African Sourcebook is quite detailed and definitely worth a look if you are interested in Twilight 2000, but also would be useful for ideas for Traveller Game Masters as well if your group is operating on lower Tech planets. I need to go over the Korean book more thoroughly, but that looks pretty good as well. One thing about both sourcebooks. If you really want to get into using them, you are going to need the vehicle and weapons books. If you just want to use them as jumping off points for adventures, then you might be able to get by with the basic rules or adapting some of the Traveller equipment to them.

I always did like that Constitution adventure, but I will need to see if I can modify it a bit, or maybe develop an add-on for it. For those more familiar with all of the added modules, for which I have a listing and short description courtesy of DriveThru, are the islands of Curacao or Aruba mentioned anywhere, as they have refineries for dealing with the very heavy high-grade sludge of crude oil from Venezuela, and as such would be highly valuable to control? I have been to both and the refineries are pretty obvious on the islands.

Also, are there any additional books covering what sort of ships might still be operating in that environment? Both the East African and Korean have pirate communities preying on shipping, while the Spanish Main book practically begs to have some added shipping to it.
__________________
Star Port Administrator: El Paso, El Paso, Sword Sub-sector, Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector
Link to Piper Sector: http://www.zarthani.net/ridder-mankind_to_the_stars.htm
Do you have a security clearance? New Oct. 20 Blog Entry-Martian Rails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 7th, 2018, 06:42 PM
timerover51's Avatar
timerover51 timerover51 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North of Chicago
Posts: 6,468
Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen
Default

Well, I have downloaded the CIA World Facebook for the years 1994 and 1995, for some overview of the countries of the World at that point in time. I will have to make some allowance for the non-breakup of the Soviet Union, but for Africa and the Caribbean, that should not be that difficult. I have copies of the Military Balance for the years 1994-1995 and 1996-1997 on the way, so that will give some idea of the military hardware in Africa and South America. That should be sufficient to get things going.
__________________
Star Port Administrator: El Paso, El Paso, Sword Sub-sector, Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector
Link to Piper Sector: http://www.zarthani.net/ridder-mankind_to_the_stars.htm
Do you have a security clearance? New Oct. 20 Blog Entry-Martian Rails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 7th, 2018, 11:01 PM
jcrocker's Avatar
jcrocker jcrocker is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 831
Gallery : 0
jcrocker Citizen+jcrocker Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
...are the islands of Curacao or Aruba mentioned anywhere, as they have refineries for dealing with the very heavy high-grade sludge of crude oil from Venezuela, and as such would be highly valuable to control? I have been to both and the refineries are pretty obvious on the islands.

Also, are there any additional books covering what sort of ships might still be operating in that environment? Both the East African and Korean have pirate communities preying on shipping, while the Spanish Main book practically begs to have some added shipping to it.
No, those islands aren't mentioned at all, Grenada and Carriacou are. Carriacou is listed as a home to pirates with small craft. Probably fishing boats, maybe something a bit bigger.

Those refineries sound like a great adventure seed, though...

Shipping was never a strong point in T2K - some modules had small craft that PCs might reasonably run like Pirates of the Vistula, or there was that Soviet supply ship Artika in Boomer. The v2 Nautical Aviation Handbook had a few small craft, from a canoe to a swamp skimmer to a short-haul patrol boat with helipad on the aft deck.

Then again, google searches make research a lot easier today.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 8th, 2018, 02:19 PM
kilemall kilemall is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,725
Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Well, I have downloaded the CIA World Facebook for the years 1994 and 1995, for some overview of the countries of the World at that point in time. I will have to make some allowance for the non-breakup of the Soviet Union, but for Africa and the Caribbean, that should not be that difficult. I have copies of the Military Balance for the years 1994-1995 and 1996-1997 on the way, so that will give some idea of the military hardware in Africa and South America. That should be sufficient to get things going.
I have a 1980s military balance book, which helped the poor people who did Patriot a bit on some hardware questions, and gave me the insight that maybe Somalians with recoillless rifles were a thing to be concerned about.
__________________
YUMV- Your Universe May Vary.
YOMD- Your Opinion May Differ.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:11 PM
timerover51's Avatar
timerover51 timerover51 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North of Chicago
Posts: 6,468
Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrocker View Post
No, those islands aren't mentioned at all, Grenada and Carriacou are. Carriacou is listed as a home to pirates with small craft. Probably fishing boats, maybe something a bit bigger.

Those refineries sound like a great adventure seed, though...

Shipping was never a strong point in T2K - some modules had small craft that PCs might reasonably run like Pirates of the Vistula, or there was that Soviet supply ship Artika in Boomer. The v2 Nautical Aviation Handbook had a few small craft, from a canoe to a swamp skimmer to a short-haul patrol boat with helipad on the aft deck.

Then again, google searches make research a lot easier today.
Thanks for the information.

I looked up Carriacou and it is to the northeast of Grenada, but without a scale on the map, I am not sure how close. I have been on a fair number of cruises to the Caribbean, and the islands will all have small craft of cabin cruiser size, with a few larger boats for sightseers and whale watchers. I am not sure that all of them can feed themselves off of the island's crops, as some of them have a very large population compared to their size. There is quite a few inter-island small ships, and with the refineries at Curacao and Aruba, plus those in Venezuela, fuel would be available fairly readily. The main problem for the islands would be paying for fuel, as they are pretty heavily dependent on tourism and cruise ships for cash for imports. However, based on the CIA factbook for 1994, Grenada is
Quote:
world's second-largest producer and fourth-largest exporter of nutmeg and mace
, which does give it some means of earning foreign exchange. I will have to do some number crunching on arable land verses population, but food did comprise 25% of Grenada's imports.
__________________
Star Port Administrator: El Paso, El Paso, Sword Sub-sector, Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector
Link to Piper Sector: http://www.zarthani.net/ridder-mankind_to_the_stars.htm
Do you have a security clearance? New Oct. 20 Blog Entry-Martian Rails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Orr Orr is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 468
Gallery : 0
Orr Citizen
Default

You aren't going to be running or restarting a refinery without a couple hundred technicians, a operational power plant for steam and electricity, and a steady supply of zeolites and other catalysts.

It's not simply a case of running a larger version of the still you used to produce biodiesel for your M113.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T5 License timerover51 Traveller 5 28 August 17th, 2017 04:14 PM
How much for a license? Blue Ghost The Lone Star 11 August 26th, 2012 04:35 AM
The T20 License Allensh T20 - Traveller for the D20 System 1 December 28th, 2008 08:42 PM
At the end of the License .... E.D.Quibell T20 - Traveller for the D20 System 0 March 24th, 2008 06:07 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.