Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old July 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
The Thing Citizen
Default 101 uses for a dead scout.

OK, maybe not dead but definitely past her prime. What alternate uses can people come up with for a standard 100dton sulieman scout?

I see some are stripped of weapons, jump drive and fuel, then used as rescue vessels to carry people out of danger zones or crippled ships.

I was wondering what other uses one could be put to. Since they're limited to one turret you can't really upgun them a lot and turn them into point defense boats. Pity.

I was thinking that on a dedicated jump 1 route you could convert 2/3 of the fuel tanks into cargo and use it as a cheaper alternative to a beyowulf for small cargos. her better speed in n-space would make her faster and her smaller size and crew would make her cheaper to run small, high value cargoes.

I suppose they could be used as "suicide ships" fitted with a kamikaze autopilot or remote controlled. Getting rammed by a 100dton piece of pointed metal moving at high speed can even worry a dreadnought.

I could see a crippled one being converted into a home on some frontier world. I mean, a family or two could live in one, they're spacious enough if you yank the drives and refurbish the fuel storage space. A weatherproof hull and a turret for emergency defense might make a dead scout an attractive home on rough worlds or those with dangers that armor and guns are good defenses against.

What else can you do with a dead scout?
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BetterThanLife Citizen

Jump Fighter. (Leave it at J2, lose the cargo hold and potentially 2 staterooms), upgrade the powerplant, the maneuver drive, improve the computer and up gun it.

Small Q-Ship. Increase maneuver drive and agility, up gun it but no need to go quite as high on either maneuver drive or computer as the fighter. Use the balance of the space to either carry cargo or armor it. Great for damaging standard Corsairs.

Target drone. Something for the Navy to shoot at.

Small Fast Courier. Bring the Jump Drive up to 3 replace half the cargo with fuel.
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

If you allow Jump Nets (canon per S9 Jump Ship) Then just buy a 100dton net and turn it into a cheap free-trader with J1 and 100dtons of external cargo capicity. No major structural or engineering changes beyond the net. I'd figure maybe MCr1 for the net and tie-ins. Of course you're unstreamlined while hauling the net, and cargo in the net must be able to withstand vacuum unless carried in shipping containers.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterThanLife View Post
Target drone. Something for the Navy to shoot at.
Shhh, that's a Detached Duty assignment

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old July 15th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Badbru Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Badbru

The best use for a dead scout I ever saw was TNE's Covenanter Class Exploration Cruiser. Take the drives and power plant out and weld it to the front of a Gazelle. Two ships I quite liked turned into one I loved.
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Gallery : 1
Gadrin Citizen

a spy ship ala the SR-71. the airspeed alone (I'm using GURPS) is 2357 mph and 2.1 Gs in space. you should be able to get anywhere on *most* worlds
very quickly.

strip her down and keep even basic sensors and she should be a nice performer. add those nice probes from First In and you add yet another
dimension.

I suppose in actuality given the ships contours and mission, that's not far from her original purpose.

Most plans don't even survive contact with reality.

Thanks, Gadrin
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
fredofmars Citizen
Default Jump nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
If you allow Jump Nets (canon per S9 Jump Ship) Then just buy a 100dton net and turn it into a cheap free-trader with J1 and 100dtons of external cargo capicity. No major structural or engineering changes beyond the net. I'd figure maybe MCr1 for the net and tie-ins. Of course you're unstreamlined while hauling the net, and cargo in the net must be able to withstand vacuum unless carried in shipping containers.
Jump nets are a bit more complicated than that, at least if you accept the reasoning I put forth in my article on JTAS regarding them.
http://jtas.sjgames.com/login/archives/2002/02.05.html
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredofmars View Post
Jump nets are a bit more complicated than that, at least if you accept the reasoning I put forth in my article on JTAS regarding them.
Understandably opinions will differ since the first use saw no speicifics and appears to cost nothing in either volume or credits

Nobody can see your article without a subscription to JTAS though, can you post a brief outline without breaking any rules there?

Old July 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default Magnum Arms Barbette

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thing View Post
Since they're limited to one turret you can't really up-gun them a lot and turn them into point defense boats.
Are bullies kicking sand in your face?
Do you get no respect at the local starport?
Are you the 100 dTon weakling on the block?
Do people snicker at the little turret on your surplus scout ship?

Well have no fear, Magnum Arms is here, and have we got a deal for you. For MCr 2.1**, we will:

Step 1: Strip off your grandpa’s old 1 dTon turret and gut your existing fire control.
Step 2: Update your fire control to TL 14 and modify your hardpoint.
Step 3: Install a fully reconditioned, military surplus “Particle Accelerator Barbette”
(stripped of all weapons and custom modified to hold 5 triple turrets worth
of standard turret lasers, sand casters or missile launchers).

Load your new 5 dTon turret up with your choice of up to 15 standard turret weapons
and ask those Subsidized Merchants, “Who is laughing now, fat boy!”

Remember MAGNUM ARMS for all your weapon needs.
Because size does matter.

**Weapons not included. Price is based on a reconditioned barbette (3 MCr new, 2 MCr reconditioned) and new fire control (TL 14; Cr 100,000). Laser weapons may require an additional power plant (also not included).

Last edited by atpollard; July 15th, 2007 at 11:47 AM..
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM

BetterThanLife Citizen

Lots of things to do with an overage Type-S:

Starport Landing Zone impact studies.

Collision safety tests.

Highport Fire crew training.

SAR crew training.

Squad level boarding action training.

Target beacon towing.

Orbital bombardment (As the ammunition).