Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 10th, 2020, 03:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Madmax Citizen
Default MGT2ndEd, Military Benefits

I don't often use military characters in my games, so I have only now noticed that, when rolling for Benefits, a Rank 6 Enlisted character (Master Sargent in the Army) rolls exactly the same number of dice, with the same adjustment (+1) as would a Rank 6 Officer character (General in the Army). Is there some rule I have missed, or does the Imperium give exactly the same pay rate, and other benefits, to a General as they do a Master Sargent?
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

The in game benefits are the same, yes. Commissioned rank is mostly chrome in the char gen process.

I don't think we should draw any conclusions about Imperial pay-scales from that.
Old June 10th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Sergeants run the Army.

In theory, a well oiled military has a highly skilled non commissioned segment that ensures the that the nuts and bolts run, and since they know where to apply the grease, also how to leverage that for maximum pay out.

A lot of inventory can disappear or be reported as destroyed; in the more interesting military science fiction, there's a gray market where they're exchanged for goods and services to benefit their assigned units.
Old June 15th, 2020, 05:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Madmax Citizen

Would you agree that a house rule that gives some additional benefit (perhaps doubling of cash rolls for example) to Officers is a reasonable house rule, or would that possibly throw the game balance off (e.g. no one would want to play enlisted characters anymore)?
Old June 15th, 2020, 06:44 PM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Yes, that is probably reasonable.

I would not call starting cash all that important. Skills, characteristics, and starships are important...
Old June 15th, 2020, 07:13 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

For those going adventuring, since you can always get more money, legally or otherwise.

For thirty year veterans, they'd probably prefer the money.