Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old May 13th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
Lord Kilgore Citizen
Default Mayday on Roll20?

Like a lot of players, the pandemic and stay-at-home orders have given me the motivation to finally get my online gaming going. I've been using Roll20 for D&D and should be able to expand to Traveller pretty easily.

It occurs to me that the virtual tabletop should be ideal for wargames and such, and I'm looking at Mayday, in part to play Mayday and also to have it available when needed in my Traveller game.

Does anyone do this already?
Old May 14th, 2020, 07:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Original_Carl Citizen

Like you, I've been looking for a demo of a Traveller game in a Virtual Table Top. I haven't found much outside of Mongoose, which is fine, but I was hoping for a Classic Traveller implementation.

Good luck in your quest. Update if you find anything. :-D
Old May 14th, 2020, 10:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-4

BadSneakers Citizen

A while back I made some Vassal modules for playing Traveller games online. The list includes
Mayday
Snapshot
Imperium
Azhanti High Lightning
Dark Nebula

Vassal is free and a great platform to play boardgames on.
Old May 14th, 2020, 10:53 PM

Lord Kilgore Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSneakers View Post
A while back I made some Vassal modules for playing Traveller games online. The list includes
Mayday
Snapshot
Imperium
Azhanti High Lightning
Dark Nebula

Vassal is free and a great platform to play boardgames on.
Wow I was not familiar with Vassal. Looks interesting. Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-1

JoanRegne Citizen
Default Mayday in Roll20

I do it in my CT campaign. Open a new page, settings are black background, exe type in gird and whithe colour. Put your ship's counter and missiles and go ahead!!

Fly safe
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Space Badger and I were just talking about this in Private Message. I don't have a fast Internet, so I don't think I can try out Roll20, but I'd love to hear how it turns out. I'd also suggested Fantasy Grounds, but I wasn't sure if it's geared towards D&D more.

Another friend that only plays D&D is gaming on Google Hangouts during the lockdown.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:55 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Space Badger and I were just talking about this in Private Message. I don't have a fast Internet, so I don't think I can try out Roll20, but I'd love to hear how it turns out. I'd also suggested Fantasy Grounds, but I wasn't sure if it's geared towards D&D more.
I've not used it, but once the assets are transferred (however that is done), internet speed should not be a factor in play. And even then, most of the assets (by todays standards) should be pretty small. In the end, you're simply pushing virtual icons around on a page. This could be done over a 9600 baud modem.

So, all I suggest is that if it interests you, you should at least give it a try.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 6
Charles.Darney Citizen+Charles.Darney Citizen+

I just set up and played a one-on-one solo game of Mayday on Roll20. Just imported a few tokens, set up a hex grid, and played. Took a bit to refresh my memory on the rules, but it worked pretty well

Here's a screengrab of the end, after Blue crippled Red (both Scouts) with a missile hit and a laser hit.
Old May 24th, 2020, 04:19 PM

Lord Kilgore Citizen

That is GORGEOUS!

Did you set up macros specific to each ship token for or did you do it all manually?
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.Darney View Post
I just set up and played a one-on-one solo game of Mayday on Roll20. Just imported a few tokens, set up a hex grid, and played. Took a bit to refresh my memory on the rules, but it worked pretty well

Here's a screengrab of the end, after Blue crippled Red (both Scouts) with a missile hit and a laser hit.
That looks very nice. I got a chance to try Roll20 last week, as my oldest son (Erian Frost on CotI) had a scenario set up for him to GM in our ongoing Pathfinder game. It worked ok for that, although it seemed a lot of prep work for him to prepare the map and counters as opposed to something that would just have a camera aimed down at a battle map in front of the GM, where he could sketch terrain and move markers around just as if we were all sitting around a table (he was connected from his apartment, younger son ChaosBennett and I on our laptops at home).

I believe Roll20 was created for playing online D&D games, but it actually seems to me much better suited to board games like the Mayday battle that you played out.

I have some different ideas about how I'd like to play Traveller online, but I'll start another thread to talk about that.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night