Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

View Poll Results: What country do you think built this ship?
Argentina 1 9.09%
Australia 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Britain 1 9.09%
Canada 0 0%
France 2 18.18%
Germany 3 27.27%
Japan 0 0%
Manchuria 1 9.09%
Mexico 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Texas 0 0%
USA 2 18.18%
Other (please, explain) 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 9th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
You mean as space tug, as told in several sources to increase the range to up to 11.5 ly?
I was thinking it could be used both to carry cargo/passenger modules to a destination system and to extend the range of stutterwarp ships in the same size class as the modules that would then head out to fringe systems that get lower amounts of traffic.

For example, in the French Arm, Beta Canum Venaticorum is both a good destination for traffic and a hub for travel onwards to several other systems.

Quote:
Its use will be limited to 200 dton ships, as the Thorez you say (or your own EC-200 series), but it could be quite useful in this role too...
This is fine, since if larger cargo/passenger ships were justified in visiting a system, such a ship to have a regular (unaided) route there.

Quote:
The only drawback will be that it must tug them in pairs, as otherwise it will lose the spin balance (carrying a shuttle at the other end of the ship will have the same problem for the return part, once the carried ship has been released).
Actually, I could see a jump frame operating with a maximum load of modules and ships that won't drop speed under about 1 ly/day.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old March 16th, 2020, 06:48 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

If you want it to be a common sight then the super power of the setting - France - is the builder.
Old March 16th, 2020, 10:07 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
If you want it to be a common sight then the super power of the setting - France - is the builder.
Not necessarly (though they are good candidates too, not saying I'm against your opinion).

Germany or OK may make it also a common sight in the French arm, while Argentina, Brazil, Canton or Manchuria (or Canada, though not so much) in the Chinese arm, and US or Australia in the American arm...

And private companies or corporations (as Trylon or Life Fundation) might also use them in any arm...

And remember, Japan and Germany have colonies (or former ones) in several arms...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 22nd, 2020, 09:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRJN Citizen

This "sounds" like a kitbash using components designed by somebody else for a different purpose, put together to create something new and unintended. Indonesia therefore comes to mind.
Put a docking mount for a Metal module on the nose, or a "cargo pod" that actually tacks some Mammoth cargo containers together, and you have a ship that is trying to horn in on somebody else's merchantile traffic.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 06:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRJN View Post
This "sounds" like a kitbash using components designed by somebody else for a different purpose, put together to create something new and unintended.
Interesting point, though it's not what was intended...

In fact, IMHO, few of the components are too useful alone, though...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.