Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Default MegaTraveller Robots - The first new MegaTraveller Supplement in 20 years!

Yes, literally, the first new MegaTraveller Supplement in quite a while!

Many Traveller Referees have crafted a robot system for MegaTraveller based on Traveller Book 8: Robots. The Errata for MegaTraveller by Don McKinney indicates that incorporating robots into MegaTraveller is a known problem, and no obvious solution exists.

The editor of this supplement took it upon himself to bridge this gap. He started a discussion thread on the Citizens of the Imperium discussion board, and others contributed a lot of valuable material.

The biggest contribution came when Ewan Quibell found a draft of a proposed MegaTraveller Robots supplement by Rob Prior, who started to cover many issues beyond construction and design in his work. That text served as the foundation for this completion and elaboration.

This link takes you directly to the new listing at DriveThruRPG:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=94849&filters=0_0_0_0 &manufacturers_id=4&affiliate_rem=4209
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vargas Citizen

Is this an authorized product?
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

About as authorized as it gets I'd say It's from GDW/FFE/Marc Miller

...what the heck, I've got a small credit with DTRPG, it's only a buck, snagging it! If I get a chance to read and try it out I'll let you all know how it is. It's only a buck, I find it hard to imagine it not being worth a buck if you play MT

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
Is this an authorized product?

...or not? This from the first page notes:

"This supplement has been constructed purely for fun. MegaTraveller
has not had any new products for many years. I have no wish to
undermine the great work being done by current Traveller publishers,
and wish them all the best."

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM

BytePro Citizen

Since it was submitted to Marc and is being sold from RPG DriveThru under the GDW account and has an FFE Games logo on the cover - that sounds pretty authorized!

That front page was surely there as part of the submission to FFE... it also includes a GDW copyright info for Book 8 (kinda strangely put in there).

As to whether its 'cannon' or not, well an answer to that I didn't see... (and pretty silly, but folks will be folks...)
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 17
Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog
OjnoTheRed Citizen+OjnoTheRed Citizen+

Hi - some explanations are perhaps in order. The supplement was a collaborative effort right here on CoTI!

I showed it to Marc seeking permission to use a bit more than the 'one page' of material from Book 8: Robots. He liked it and said when it's ready he would put it up on DriveThruRPG. I e-mailed it to him when it was finally ready, and he replied as follows:

Quote:
Jonathan,

I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you how much my friends and I enjoyed this supplement. It brought back memories of when Traveller was new(er) and we were experimenting with so many rules structures for it. Thanks for doing this.

I wanted to share with you our usage plans. We think that people will want to see this text, and so we plan the following.

This will be posted on DriveThruRPG as a bonus download for MegaTraveller.
And it will be included on future production MegaTraveller CDROMS.

Thanks for putting this piece together.

Marc
I am very proud that Marc and the FFE crew like it, and I am pleased to have undertaken this collaborative effort with others here on CoTI and included all contributors to the thread in the credits by real name (except for one person who didn't reply to my PM'ing of his/her account).

The copyright notice is the standard fan-supplement text from FFE, and I added in the line about it being a fan supplement just for anyone's interest and to make it clear I had no personal commercial interest in it.

The credits for Book 8 are there out of a publishing tradition: as this supplement is an extension of Book 8 into the MegaTraveller version of the game, it is polite to acknowledge the work of those who came before and on whose shoulders we stand.

I am pleased as punch and I hope FFE make $1,000,000 out of it. Yes, somewhat unlikely on an RPG system that has been superceded by several versions of the game since and is selling at $1 a copy. But there you are.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Generate 1,000,001 characters for the Cepheus Engine rules.

Generate a World Map or Star System using the Traveller5 rules.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Vargas Citizen

So this means that Marc owns the MegaTraveller name but someone else holds the rights to all of the DGP developed material?
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Marc owns the stuff published by GDW. He doesn't own the stuff published by DGP.
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargas View Post
So this means that Marc owns the MegaTraveller name but someone else holds the rights to all of the DGP developed material?
Marc has rights to use anything they developed, but not the literal text itself. It's a complicated relationship, tho, in that DGP actually developed almost all the MegaTraveller materials GDW released.

Further, Joe and Gary sold out to a promising fan named Roger Sanger... but Roger only talked a good line, and has a massively inflated idea of the worth of those copyrights... which said copyrights amount to:
  • Traveller's Digest 1-22
  • MegaTraveller Journal #1 (2-4 are © GDW but published by DGP)
  • Villani & Vargr
  • Solomani & Aslan
  • World Builder's Handbook
  • 101 Vehicles
  • 101 Robots
  • Early Adventures
  • Grand Survey (CT)
  • Grand Census (CT)

While those are in fact some of the best written game supplements ever, they aren't worth the 6-figures Roger was last demanding.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Absent Friend

DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Marc has rights to use anything they developed, but not the literal text itself. It's a complicated relationship, tho, in that DGP actually developed almost all the MegaTraveller materials GDW released.

Further, Joe and Gary sold out to a promising fan named Roger Sanger... but Roger only talked a good line, and has a massively inflated idea of the worth of those copyrights... which said copyrights amount to:
  • Traveller's Digest 1-22
  • MegaTraveller Journal #1 (2-4 are © GDW but published by DGP)
  • Villani & Vargr
  • Solomani & Aslan
  • World Builder's Handbook
  • 101 Vehicles
  • 101 Robots
  • Early Adventures
  • Grand Survey (CT)
  • Grand Census (CT)
While those are in fact some of the best written game supplements ever, they aren't worth the 6-figures Roger was last demanding.
However, Marc does have Roger's permission to use his IPs. And there are some other complications to the situation.

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion