Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T4 - Marc Miller's Traveller

T4 - Marc Miller's Traveller Discussion of T4 - Marc Miller's Traveller from Imperium Games and the Milieu 0 setting.

Old April 16th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Cymew Citizen
Employee 2-4601,

I think that the change in terminology is a good thing. If the "Injury" determines if you're injured or not, it would be counter-intuitive to call it "Survival" regardless of what it was called in earlier games.

Frankly, I never understood why it wasn't thus renamed in MT as well. It is an optional rule to kill the PC after a failed Survival roll, after all.
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Cymew Citizen
Employee 2-4601,

I think that the change in terminology is a good thing. If the "Injury" determines if you're injured or not, it would be counter-intuitive to call it "Survival" regardless of what it was called in earlier games.

Frankly, I never understood why it wasn't thus renamed in MT as well. It is an optional rule to kill the PC after a failed Survival roll, after all.
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
About Survival I agree, but what about Re-Enlistment? Why change that?

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM

About Survival I agree, but what about Re-Enlistment? Why change that?

Old April 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Comments about the T4 Skills

The explanation in the beginning of the chapter (p.37) about the reasons why chactaer stats is very well thought-out. Generally speaking, T4's non-game-mechanics writings are better than the game mechanics: alot of these writings I've read so far are excellent, the rules vary from very good to not-so-good.

The distinction between "Skill Clusters" and "Cascade Skills" is an interesting one, though it complicates things a bit for the new player.

On the other hand, the "skill-0" system is a good compromise - while it is less detailed than the one I use for CT (player picks EDU/2 - rounded down - skill-0's at CharGen), it is very easy to use; just look at the skill table and see if you could "default" the skill.

Environment Combat (p.42) seems like a great idea - expand the Zero-G Combat skill to underwater situations as well (quite logical, as water is somwtimes used to simulate Zero-G in TL6-8 societies; so people who spend alot of time in groundside "Zero-G" excersizes in water pools would probably get a good "feel" of water).

It is also interesting to note that T4 has split the "Performance" skill into several skills...

Old April 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Comments about the T4 Skills

The explanation in the beginning of the chapter (p.37) about the reasons why chactaer stats is very well thought-out. Generally speaking, T4's non-game-mechanics writings are better than the game mechanics: alot of these writings I've read so far are excellent, the rules vary from very good to not-so-good.

The distinction between "Skill Clusters" and "Cascade Skills" is an interesting one, though it complicates things a bit for the new player.

On the other hand, the "skill-0" system is a good compromise - while it is less detailed than the one I use for CT (player picks EDU/2 - rounded down - skill-0's at CharGen), it is very easy to use; just look at the skill table and see if you could "default" the skill.

Environment Combat (p.42) seems like a great idea - expand the Zero-G Combat skill to underwater situations as well (quite logical, as water is somwtimes used to simulate Zero-G in TL6-8 societies; so people who spend alot of time in groundside "Zero-G" excersizes in water pools would probably get a good "feel" of water).

It is also interesting to note that T4 has split the "Performance" skill into several skills...

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Comments about the T4 Task System

First and foremost, I must say that I have a bad gut feeling about this system; the Skill+Characteristic being the Target Number and the die-roll being the difficulty is the reverse from many RPG systems out there, not to mention CT/MT, which might confuse new players.

So, if Skill+Characteristic is the target number, and skills are typically far lower than characteristics, the relative effect of skill are far lower than in CT/MT (were the characteristic either provires a +1 to +3 DM or is divided by four to give a DM).

The fact that Easy tasks require no die roll - unless defaulting, that is - is a good idea that speeds up play.

The mechanism for uncertain tasks (p.50) is interesting, but assumes that the player has a good ability of quickly grasping die probabilities; also, it encourages metagame thinking (that is, players considering die rolls rather than in-game results).

One big disadvantage of the T4 Task system is the fact that it is spread over several pages; a one-page summery (as in MT) would've made it far easier to use (annoying dice-mechanics aside).

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Comments about the T4 Task System

First and foremost, I must say that I have a bad gut feeling about this system; the Skill+Characteristic being the Target Number and the die-roll being the difficulty is the reverse from many RPG systems out there, not to mention CT/MT, which might confuse new players.

So, if Skill+Characteristic is the target number, and skills are typically far lower than characteristics, the relative effect of skill are far lower than in CT/MT (were the characteristic either provires a +1 to +3 DM or is divided by four to give a DM).

The fact that Easy tasks require no die roll - unless defaulting, that is - is a good idea that speeds up play.

The mechanism for uncertain tasks (p.50) is interesting, but assumes that the player has a good ability of quickly grasping die probabilities; also, it encourages metagame thinking (that is, players considering die rolls rather than in-game results).

One big disadvantage of the T4 Task system is the fact that it is spread over several pages; a one-page summery (as in MT) would've made it far easier to use (annoying dice-mechanics aside).

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Also note that, standing by itself as written, the T4 task system hugely favors characteristics over skill levels. Once a character has skill level 1 he can focus on maxing out the characteristic. This is universally seen as a very bad thing.
Tools Link
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Also note that, standing by itself as written, the T4 task system hugely favors characteristics over skill levels. Once a character has skill level 1 he can focus on maxing out the characteristic. This is universally seen as a very bad thing.
Tools Link