Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Still, the ability to do two J-2 without refueling on the standard tanks that you already have is nothing to sneeze at.
Are you talking about demountable or collapsible tanks? Because drop tank aren't invented until the late 11th Century. It's not that they couldn't have been built with the technology available during the Long Night if they had known how to build them. It's that no one had yet figured out how to build them.

Hans
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
Are you talking about demountable or collapsible tanks? Because drop tank aren't invented until the late 11th Century. It's not that they couldn't have been built with the technology available during the Long Night if they had known how to build them. It's that no one had yet figured out how to build them.
So... I guess that is another divergence from the OTU, because I really like Sabredog's ship design, and the drop tanks are an important part of it.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Drama points sound a lot like Fate points in Warhammer RPG.

I have no problem with them.
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:44 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

So, boss, what's the TL we're dealing with? I've never used a pre-Imperial setting before. Is there such a thing as a grav bike? How retro must we go? (Yeah, say that last sentence with a rhythm to it, 'cause it rhymes.)

Sorry for having to do most of this in email, so far, but I get home from vacation tomorrow night. Then I will be back to my always available crappy internet connection.

I'm looking forward to jumping into this - I had loads of fun with our Official 30th Anniversary Classic Traveller PbP game.
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:32 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
So, boss, what's the TL we're dealing with? I've never used a pre-Imperial setting before. Is there such a thing as a grav bike? How retro must we go? (Yeah, say that last sentence with a rhythm to it, 'cause it rhymes.)
We determined in another thread that max TL of the Rule of Man was 12, and nobody major got higher than that until Sylea, approaching the beginning of the Third Imperium.

There may be a few TL 12 places left (Earth, frex), but the highest TL worlds in the campaign area will be at TL 11, with TL 10 much more common for civilized worlds. Considering this is the Long Night and the campaign is in an area somewhat frequently torn by war and raiding, most worlds have lost some technical production capacity (even if they still have knowledge in a library), so are lower than 10; some are way lower, leading to the mixed up TLs seen from world to world in the later time of 1105.

Really, guys, I am very happy that y'all are excited about the campaign, but I am working to give you some specific world examples, if you can wait a few more days!
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 30th, 2013 at 07:09 PM..
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
How retro must we go? (Yeah, say that last sentence with a rhythm to it, 'cause it rhymes.)
How low can you go? How low can you go? LIMBO!!!

Actually, pretty dang low. Don't be surprised if you eventually encounter some small colonies that have suffered so badly in Reaver attacks that they have essentially no tech left (someone either miscalculated and killed the cow rather than keep it to milk later, or else was just too evil or stupid to care). These folks might be subsisting as hunter/gatherers; their knowledge of technology and other worlds would depend on how good they are at preserving a few books or passing on oral traditions. Places like that, kind-hearted traders could really do some good , although getting paid might be problematic.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

I just made this an addition to the Ship Rules section in the blog, but everyone seems more comfortable discussing here instead of in blog commetns, so I am just gonna post it here also:

Jumps to Deep Space: Discussions w Fritz about colonization have pointed up a problem w the fuel-usage rules above - w J-2 drive and ability to do two jumps, gaps of three or four parsecs are no longer of much consequence to J-2 travel. Yes, jumps to deep space hexes where there is no star system are still possible, but I think we need to make them more hazardous in some way, so they are not something casually done without great need. I am thinking it could be a Navigation problem, that without a high gravity well to aim at (such as a star system) there is a greater chance of misjump - preferably not always fatal, but maybe very inconvenient. Where these routes have been found necessary or desirable, some brave spacers have had to first jump to the empty hex to establish a gravitic beacon to make the jump safer for other ships to follow. Still, a gravitic beacon is nowhere the simulated mass of an actual star system, so precise coordinates to use the beacon are a big help. I can see all kinds of plot potential here!

Unfortunately, I am just making this up off the top of my head, and today is kind of a bad day so I am on lots of meds, so please point out any problems or other considerations that I may have missed.

SBRD Campaign Wiki

Last edited by SpaceBadger; July 30th, 2013 at 05:15 PM..
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default Attention All Players in [SBRD] Campaignj:

Attention All Players in [SBRD] Campaignj:

Guys, I have been writing a LOT of stuff yesterday and today that I would lik eto hear feedback from y'all about, opinions or suggestions. It is kinda scattered around, so you should look at the blog and this thread, and I think some in the Characters thread, too.

Also, LiNeNoIse, not trying to rush you as I still have lots to do on getting the campaign ready (target date to start play is Aug 8 or 9), but I haven't heard anything from you about a character concept. The rest of the PCs are all listed over in the Characters thread, and I will need to make some NPCs to fill out the crew, so it would be nice to have some idea what niche you see your PC filling.

Edit: especially look at idea Sabredog suggested about die-rolling in the game - it is kinda hidden in the comments of the Drama Points blog page - but I would like to hear your thoughts on pro and con rather than just decided this myself, as I can see it being something that some would LIKE and others HATE.

SBRD Campaign Wiki
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Dead reckoning in empty hexes (IMO)

Jumping out of an empty hex that is only 1 Jump from any known star takes the following mods to make a new navigation chart
+6 hours (minus Nav skill level)
-1 DM to roll

Jumping out of an empty hex that is 2 Jump from any known star takes the following mods
+12 hrs (minus 1 hour per Nav Skill level)
-2 DM to roll

3 Hexes from any known star
+24 hours (minus 1 per Nav skill level)
-4 DM to roll

4 hexes from any known star
+48 hrs (same mod as above)
-8 DM to roll

etc

of course if there is known beacon in the immediate area all mods are 1/2 the listed above
If there is waystation (like maybe a megacorp or military installation) all mods are 1/3 of the above if the station is willing to share the data

Dave Chase
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Jumps to Deep Space: Discussions w Fritz about colonization have pointed up a problem w the fuel-usage rules above - w J-2 drive and ability to do two jumps, gaps of three or four parsecs are no longer of much consequence to J-2 travel.
Any low-jump ship can have the ability to do two jumps, even with standard fuel usage (10% per jump number) and without drop tanks. Demountable and collapsible tanks allow a ship to carry fuel for more jumps along. I think it's possible to design a jump-1 ship that can do 7 jumps between refuelling.

Quote:
Yes, jumps to deep space hexes where there is no star system are still possible, but I think we need to make them more hazardous in some way, so they are not something casually done without great need. I am thinking it could be a Navigation problem, that without a high gravity well to aim at (such as a star system) there is a greater chance of misjump - preferably not always fatal, but maybe very inconvenient.
"DEEP SPACE JUMPS. The mathematics of jump navigation is much simpler when there is a large mass, a star or very massive planet in normal space close to each end of the jump. During the Interstellar Wars era, neither Terran nor Imperial navigators[*] are able to plan a jump that starts or ends in deep interstellar space, far away from any such massive object.

[...]

Of course, interstellar space is not entirely empty. An enterprising astronomer may be able to find massive objects even in the empty hexes on the maps: rogue sunless planets, large comets, "brown dwarf" stars, and so on. Such objects could easily serve as an "anchor" for one end or the other of a jump.
[GT:Interstellar Wars, p. 171]
[*] Astrogators! They guide starships between the stars, not surface scows across ponds! <mumble, mumble, grumble>
(Note that such dark worlds are much rare and/or difficult to detect in the Traveller Universe than in the Real Universe.)

The astrogational invention that allowed deep space jumps was invented some time during the period covered by the Dark Nebula game, somewhere around 200 (I think -- I don't have the game myself).

Quote:
Where these routes have been found necessary or desirable, some brave spacers have had to first jump to the empty hex to establish a gravitic beacon to make the jump safer for other ships to follow.
Jump? Not fly by STL?

I used to have this notion of the Vilani overcoming the problem of only having jump-1 by strapping maneuver drives to an asteroid, boosting into the void for several decades, then decelerating for an equal amount of time and winding up with a jump anchor only a couple of generations after the projects was undertaken -- something the First Imperium was perfectly likely to undertake, but which other star nations might be less inclined to attempt. Alas, the reference is to objects of planetary size, far beyond anyone's ability to move.

Quote:
Still, a gravitic beacon is nowhere the simulated mass of an actual star system, so precise coordinates to use the beacon are a big help. I can see all kinds of plot potential here!
Indeed. Another instance where fun would seem to trump canon.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am just making this up off the top of my head, and today is kind of a bad day so I am on lots of meds, so please point out any problems or other considerations that I may have missed.
Basically, if it's easy, anyone can do it. Meaning that you'd have to calibrate rather carefully how much effort (i.e. cost) is involved in setting up a deep space anchor to make them rare but not too rare.

Hans

Last edited by rancke; July 30th, 2013 at 07:48 PM..
Closed Thread