Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old December 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
poi Citizen
Send a message via AIM to poi Send a message via MSN to poi
Default Compatibility with T5?

I've seen both versions in playtest, and I don't see how this can be achieved.

While the systems are superficially similar, as soon as you get into the detail, it is apparent they are diverging at an ever increasing rate.

As this was one of the big ideas when MGT was announced, what is going wrong? Are the design teams talking about where they are taking their respective versions?
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

I doubt you have seen anything other than old T5 playtest documents. When RTT was first announced I'm sure I recall it being stated there would be compatibility.

Now, that said the amount of compatibility is open to question. CT and MT are compatible (as is T4 to some degree) but they are very different creatures. I could see T5 being as different from RTT as MT is from CT.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

poi Citizen
Send a message via AIM to poi Send a message via MSN to poi

What I've seen was very recent. The differences appear to be greater than between MT and CT.
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:10 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

AIUI, characters and gear will be (roughly) compatible, but the rules will be different.
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poi View Post
What I've seen was very recent. The differences appear to be greater than between MT and CT.
I see this too, actually.
Tools Link
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Stupid question, perhaps, but is there any chance of a more recent iteration being posted to the moot, for instance ?

Cap
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
Stupid question, perhaps, but is there any chance of a more recent iteration being posted to the moot, for instance ?

Cap
Doubtful, but you can check here.
Tools Link
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
Doubtful, but you can check here.
Heh.
Yeah, I saw the announcement after I posted - so that pretty much answered my question as "NO"....and I'm fine with that under the circumstances.

The ship stuff I was seeing really whetted my appetite for more.

Thanks, tho !

Cap
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Al_Beddow Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Al_Beddow Send a message via AIM to Al_Beddow Send a message via MSN to Al_Beddow Send a message via Yahoo to Al_Beddow

As someone who has already bought the T5 CDROM, and has been working/running with the MPT Open Playtest...

I see very little in T5 that is compatible with CT let alone with MPT. At least MPT is based and trying to be true to CT.

Currently I have everything GURPS for Traveller, missing only "First In", plus almost everything CT, and (I believe) everything for MT. (I also have my pre-ordered copy of T20, but that campaign self destructed due to someone who has to review the situation on his initiative every ROUND and think recalculating everything is fun).

I'm going to focus on MPT and probably stop buying T5 after the CD-ROM. Of course I'm not against doing GURPS 4th Ed traveller, and I'd love to get a copy of First-In to complete my collection.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog

If you like Mongoose Traveller's ship rules, you'll be fine with T5's rules; they're close. For example, Mongoose Traveller uses T5's drive potential table.

If you like CT's ship design rules, hopefully you'll like Mongoose and T5's ship design rules better. While they are close to small starship designs, their curves take off after around 600 tons, for better performance by volume.
Tools Link