Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old July 13th, 2019, 10:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
Lord Kilgore Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativehum View Post
The notion that Traveller could be anything other than the Third Imperium was received as some sort of heretical nonsense.
I recall my first attempt to go LBB123-only Traveller with a homemade subsector in 1986. The lack of extra-skilled PCs from books 4 and 5 was half the problem, and not using the gorgeous Spinward Marches map from Deluxe Traveller was the the other half.

I stuck to my guns, and the players lost interest. The game petered out. That was the end of my regular Traveller. So sad.
Old July 13th, 2019, 10:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kilgore View Post
I recall my first attempt to go LBB123-only Traveller with a homemade subsector in 1986. The lack of extra-skilled PCs from books 4 and 5 was half the problem, and not using the gorgeous Spinward Marches map from Deluxe Traveller was the the other half.

I stuck to my guns, and the players lost interest. The game petered out. That was the end of my regular Traveller. So sad.
I do think that by 1986 the notion of "What Traveller Was" had settled for most people. And Traveller was "All the Books... All of Them."

It is understandable from a certain point of view -- and from the point of view of certain gamers (who form the majority.) By 1986 the notion that one bought the game, bought the setting, and that each game line revealed a new facet of a whole diamond waiting to be revealed over time had become the norm. Being a consumer of new books and a lore master of new published details had become a major part of the hobby for many.
Old July 13th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
That's not a bad idea. A collaborative 'game' where we fill in the details.
My last campaign started with a blank map, a quadrant of 2x2 subsectors. Players could be anything they wanted, we had a Scout, an Agent, a Marine and a Scholar.

During char-gen, every step of each character’s development put something on the map: a Base for the Scout, Megacorp HQ for the agent, a University and rival Megacorp for the Scholar, etc etc. Birthworlds were determined using some house rules and placed with everything else, and even the simplest term event generated several data/map points and of course, hooks for future adventures.

We ended up with a map that was quite unexpected and the players were really invested in the setting as they had helped create it. It took two Session 0 nights before we really started playing but it was great fun.
Old July 13th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I see no value in setting seeds like the one in Bk0...

Just enough to be limiting, not enough to save any time.

Now, the full subsector in TTB...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 13th, 2019, 02:12 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

It's not a setting seed as such, I don't think it was intended to be. Doesn't stop it being used as such though.

It is the start of a section about campaign design that stretches for several pages, five and a bit, that explains how Traveller is intended for referees to make up their own settings or base settings on literary sources.

I am suggesting we use it as a setting seed and fill in some details just for fun. If you don't want to join in fair enough.
Old July 13th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
It's not a setting seed as such, I don't think it was intended to be. Doesn't stop it being used as such though.

It is the start of a section about campaign design that stretches for several pages, five and a bit, that explains how Traveller is intended for referees to make up their own settings or base settings on literary sources.

I am suggesting we use it as a setting seed and fill in some details just for fun. If you don't want to join in fair enough.
Count me in.

What do you think, we should start a Wiki for it maybe?
Old July 13th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I was thinking about discussing ideas here - maybe posting some stuff in the referees forum to show the thinking behind what we are doing as a guide to newcomers.

If anything comes of it then it may make it to the wiki if I can figure out how to post stuff there.
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:11 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

In many ways, the snippet describes what I am trying to do with my Out Rim sector, without the large federation. Now, this is likely reading into it, but it sounds like the primary organization in the sector is the "Moladon Federation", with the sub-sector being considers on the fringe of the sector. My Out Rim sector has 349 worlds presently (I may add or subtract a few), so the stars are a bit spread out. My top Tech Level is 12, and a lot of the worlds are Tech Level 9 and lower. There are also some planets with ruins that contain a bit to a lot higher Tech Levels. Now, I constructed the sector totally independent of the Book 0 information, as I did not know it until Mike pointed it out.

I am working on planetary descriptions for the worlds of the various sub-sectors, and with some changes in planet names and adjustment of locations, I could put a sub-sector up fairly quickly. However, I likely would not do that for another two weeks as I am engaged in teaching World War 2 to my summer class as well as mentoring a couple of young men looking at colleges.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:19 PM

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
My last campaign started with a blank map, a quadrant of 2x2 subsectors. Players could be anything they wanted, we had a Scout, an Agent, a Marine and a Scholar.

During char-gen, every step of each character’s development put something on the map: a Base for the Scout, Megacorp HQ for the agent, a University and rival Megacorp for the Scholar, etc etc. Birthworlds were determined using some house rules and placed with everything else, and even the simplest term event generated several data/map points and of course, hooks for future adventures.

We ended up with a map that was quite unexpected and the players were really invested in the setting as they had helped create it. It took two Session 0 nights before we really started playing but it was great fun.
This sounds great!

Diaspora, written by people who love both Classic Traveller and Fate to fuse the two games, has a shared-setting building system as well.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativehum View Post
Diaspora, written by people who love both Classic Traveller and Fate to fuse the two games, has a shared-setting building system as well.
Although I am a big fan of Fudge (in the 90's I wrote up some rules o n merging it wi the Starter Edition of CT) I am not a fan of Fate (my first exposure was Spirit of the Century, which had an excessive number of Aspects I was expected to keep track of as GM for every character, location, and object).

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com