Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old November 29th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Civilian - hull, controls, drives, fuel, cargo, crew, staterooms, hardpoints for turret weapons, carried craft/vehicles
Military - hull, armour, screens, EW, controls, drives, fuel, fuel treatment (or military spec drives), crew, staterooms, cargo/stores, hardpoints for turret weapons, bay weapons or setting equivalent, spinal mounts or their setting equivalents, carried craft/vehicles, ship's troops
Nice first cut for design. I think what I will do is determine any individual design based on what it is supposed to do. Is it going to be a Free Trader, picking up cargo where it can, delivering it and then looking for more cargo to take somewhere? Is it going to be a liner on a regular route, with guaranteed cargo and passengers at each stop? Is it going to be a small Space Viking raider, optimized for surface raiding? Then, looking at what those ships require, approaching it from the standpoint of building a surface merchant ship and a surface warship, and going from there.

I also need, as Aramis stated, to make sure that the numbers add up for a profitable or near-profitable ship. By near-profitable, I mean a ship that does need to do some speculative trading to keep the bills paid. As the Hyperdrive ships are going to inherently have more cargo capacity, how much more will the drives need to cost to keep Jump Drive ships competitive? As I will be planning for crew on the basis of 3 watches, my crew needs and costs are going to increase as well, by a factor of around 3. More number crunching. But then, such is the life of a ship designer. A ship is simply the result of a large number of trade offs.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

I was looking again at the ship construction rules, and thinking of some changes to be made.

First, the ships take way to long to build. A 5000 dTon ship is listed as taking 428 weeks to build. Converting that into standard Earth years of 52 weeks, that ship is taking over eight years to build, eight time fifty-two equalling 416 weeks. Now, 5000 Traveller dTons equates to about 25,000 Gross Register Tons for a nautical vessel. A World War 2 Liberty Ship, about the equivalent of 1420 Traveller dTons took an average of 9 months to build, in terms of man-hours, the shipyards ranged from 400,000 to 800.000, with the $2 Million price based on 600.000 man-hours. A larger ship does not take proportionately more time to build, as the larger ship allows for more workers to work on it. A 25,000 Gross Register Ton hull might take less than to years to build if a bulk carrier to 3 or so if a warship. Before someone says that the star ships have to be stronger than a nautical ship, consider that a merchant ship has to be able to survive the beating of a gale in the North Atlantic during the winter. The G-loads measured by research and weather hips can be quite impressive. So the cost of the hull should be proportionate to the increase in dimensions and ship volume, not simply jumping by an arbitrary number for every 100 tons of increased hull size.

Any ship built on a planet with an atmosphere from 4 to 9 is automatically streamlined with no extra cost. If atmosphere is less that 4, or the ship is built in orbit, then the increased cast is applied for streamlining. Building a ship on a vacuum planet or it orbit doubles the cost of the hull, as all workers need to be able to operate in a vacuum, and maybe in Zero-G.
Do you have a security clearance? 1 Dec. Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.