Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old April 8th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 17
Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog
OjnoTheRed Citizen+OjnoTheRed Citizen+

I love how you are embedding the story in the history of the OTU and the Fourth Frontier War. I briefly referred to background; you have really reflected on it!

I totally get what you mean about rolling up characters by hand - that sense of 'just making' survival rolls and then creating a story out of it (and other similar things you have done). Those two characters already have a great sense of history and complexity, and there are details that you haven't filled in yet.

Generate 1,000,001 characters for the Cepheus Engine rules.

Generate a World Map or Star System using the Traveller5 rules.
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
doomhunk Citizen
Default The Rest of the Crew

Thanks @OjnoTheRed, and the 500 characters I created using your excellent generator will not go to waste as I will need them to help populate the remaining Leviathan crew and various other NPCs that we'll encounter.

I had a blast rolling these first seven or so characters up. It was a pretty uneventful train journey and it felt good to do it all by hand, literally with pen and paper. Only the dice and the game books were digital :-)

One of the things that I have always found intriguing with CT Adventure 4: Leviathan is that the Barraccai Technum outsource a lot of this mission crew. I guess that this is just SOP in the OTU and there would not be much of adventure for the PCs if they didn't. But I feel as though there is room for an interesting plot thread in the simple fact that they, as a reasonably powerful Corporation, choose to place several of their own nominated employees on board (in the original adventure, the Purser (08); 2nd Pilot (10); Master-at-Arms (16); Cargo Officer (18) and the two Security Officers (44) & (45); but I think I may vary this for a bit of fun) but that's not actually that many, considering that they could be employing some quite large groups-for-hire who might already be quite tight with each other. If I were BT I would want at least a couple of employees with Pilot, Navigation, Computer etc. on board. I know that they might also have a couple of secretly planted employees too, but especially when the original adventure makes mention of McClellan Factors and Imperial agents inserting themselves undercover into the crew, I think my version of BT won't take quite so many chances as the OTU version seems to.
Old April 8th, 2018, 08:31 PM

Orr Citizen

The Sue-lin character is great, actually they both are.

A minor quibble, I'd re-label her "pirate" career as a "privateer" career. While it's mostly a matter of semantics as privateers work for "Us" and pirates work for "Them", it will make her more "palatable" to the people who hire her and the people she has to deal with. Her career as a privateer should also give her some insight into to region BT will be exploring.

About her Streetwise skill, might it be bumped up to one from zero? Granted her revenge plot failed, but she should have some experience dealing with the "unsavory" side of society.
Old April 8th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
the Barraccai Technum outsource a lot of this mission crew
high risk, unknown reward - perhaps the mission is not popular with corporate ladder climbers.

outsourcing can get you some real winners - "what have I got to lose" "success-or-bust" "oh hey a new playground!" "mama didn't love me" "the warrant is right behind me" types ....
Old April 8th, 2018, 09:49 PM

Orr Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
outsourcing can get you some real winners....

They sound like PCs to me!
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 102
flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+flykiller Citizen+

Quote:
They sound like PCs to me!
(laugh)

crew hiring hall:

"any outstanding debt, warrants, convictions, probation, parole?"

"nope!"
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:32 PM

Orr Citizen

Quote:
(laugh)

crew hiring hall:

"any outstanding debt, warrants, convictions, probation, parole?"

"nope!"

More like:

"Any outstanding debt, warrants, convictions, probation, parole?"

"Nope!"

"Next!"
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:57 PM

doomhunk Citizen
Default Thanks for great comments :-)

Thanks for your great comments. When I started logging my campaign on here I really wasn't expecting anyone to read it let alone comment, so this really has been a delight :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr View Post
The Sue-lin character is great, actually they both are.

A minor quibble, I'd re-label her "pirate" career as a "privateer" career. While it's mostly a matter of semantics as privateers work for "Us" and pirates work for "Them", it will make her more "palatable" to the people who hire her and the people she has to deal with. Her career as a privateer should also give her some insight into to region BT will be exploring.

About her Streetwise skill, might it be bumped up to one from zero? Granted her revenge plot failed, but she should have some experience dealing with the "unsavory" side of society.
Thanks @Orr, and yes I tend to cringe at the term 'pirate' just because. 'Privateer' does sound much better and more accurate. 'Commerce Raider' would describe a lot of what she did, and I'm sure that Letters of Marque were backing pretty much everything undertaken.

I am also anticipating Sue-lin having a decent amount of experience of some local areas including ones out in the (relative) unknown. The odd system that she remembers from when they were staging covertly through a region into Zho space; that decrepit starport where they were once forced to make repairs and take on fuel.

Good idea about her Streetwise skill, I'll have a think about that. Although I'm happy for her to have gotten herself caught precisely because her skill was 0 instead of 1 :-)

Quote:
high risk, unknown reward - perhaps the mission is not popular with corporate ladder climbers.

outsourcing can get you some real winners - "what have I got to lose" "success-or-bust" "oh hey a new playground!" "mama didn't love me" "the warrant is right behind me" types ....
For sure, and there'd not be much to do without these opportunities ('Corporate Traveller - the game of doing what my pointy-haired boss tells me to do in the far future')

"the warrant is right behind me" - ah, now that's something that I'd neglected to think about! Thanks :-) The others are all sound mindsets too. Well, when I say 'sound', I mean... risk-friendly ;-)
Old April 8th, 2018, 11:58 PM

Orr Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomhunk View Post
'Commerce Raider' would describe a lot of what she did, and I'm sure that Letters of Marque were backing pretty much everything undertaken.

You're right, it does. She would have been blowing stuff up rather than legally seizing it for later sale.

Quote:
I am also anticipating Sue-lin having a decent amount of experience of some local areas including ones out in the (relative) unknown.
Yeah, places where her previous "patriotic" commerce raiding career is remembered and/or perceived as piracy!

Quote:
Good idea about her Streetwise skill, I'll have a think about that. Although I'm happy for her to have gotten herself caught precisely because her skill was 0 instead of 1 :-)
Oooh, I didn't take in account that her revenge plot failed! Lacking a certain amount of streetwise savvy explains that nicely, so please forget my suggestion.
Old April 9th, 2018, 12:45 AM

doomhunk Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr View Post
Oooh, I didn't take in account that her revenge plot failed! Lacking a certain amount of streetwise savvy explains that nicely, so please forget my suggestion.
It hasn't failed... it's just been delayed by a four-year stretch in clink. (evil grin)... but yes, that time it certainly didn't succeed ;-)