Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller Wargames

Traveller Wargames Discussion of the various Traveller wargames and miniatures systems.

Old May 25th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
LeperColony Citizen+LeperColony Citizen+
Default The Rebellion

Any FFW enthusiasts crazy enough to want to talk about modeling The Rebellion?
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Do you mean The Rebellion from Star Wars?
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Do you mean The Rebellion from Star Wars?
No, I mean The Rebellion from MegaTraveller.
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Count

Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Sorry, there was a boardgame recently released called Rebellion.
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Sorry, there was a boardgame recently released called Rebellion.
No worries. I've heard good things about that game, been meaning to try it.
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

IMHO, trying to play the Rebellion with FFW rules would be like trying to play the Battle of England or the US bombing campaign over Germany in WWII with AH Air Force rules...

You might find this thread interesting about playing it. There I told about an idea for it I had many years ago...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:48 AM

When I was in college I modeled a rough outline of a Rebellion scale game. It used a strategic movement component and a point-to-point movement system that reduced subsectors to a few spots and units to a fleet scale.
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

As you can see in the suggested rules I posted in the other thread, it was subsector/fleet scale diplomacy like game (though a little more detailed to represent the gradual attrition of the fleets).

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; July 11th, 2016 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typos
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Yeah, I think any attempt to model The Rebellion with anything like FFW's detail would either have to:

1) Enlarge the scale (probably subsector/fleet)

2) Abstract a lot of mechanics like SDBs and maybe even ground forces as a whole

3) Use a variable scale, with both a strategic component for moving whole fleets and a "zoom in" tactical scale for operations similar to FFW. This would only really be feasible with a computer program.
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:53 PM

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeperColony View Post
Yeah, I think any attempt to model The Rebellion with anything like FFW's detail...

Unless you're keen on creating the sci-fi version of The Campaign for North Africa you're not going to model The Rebellion with anything that remotely resembles FFW.

Quote:
1) Enlarge the scale (probably subsector/fleet)
Even that scale isn't big enough. Discounting the Marches, Deneb, and Corridor you're looking a region of ~20 sectors and parts of sectors at 16 subsectors apiece. What's more, all of those subsectors are not even remotely equal on a economic, military, or political basis.

Fleets, because there is a frontline and reserve fleet per subsector, have the same problem.

You're going to being using regions; groupings that represent single important subsectors or a variable number of less important subsectors.

Quote:
Abstract a lot of mechanics like SDBs and maybe even ground forces as a whole
SDBs and ground forces are going to be abstracted to such a point that they won't even be mentioned outside of the rules; i.e. A region's defense rating includes such factors as SDBs, ground forces, .....

Quote:
3) Use a variable scale, with both a strategic component for moving whole fleets and a "zoom in" tactical scale for operations similar to FFW. This would only really be feasible with a computer program.
Variable scales work rather poorly in FTF wargaming because they usually lack a "focus" for actual play. By trying to develop a game that covers strategic, operational, and tactical play equally well, you often end up not developing any of those scales well enough.

For example, Avalanche Press' various releases in the Great War at Sea series work because the strategic system is used to create tactical battles. GDW's versions of Imperium work because, while there is a ground combat subsystem, the focus of the game is the strategic movement of and combat between ships. Conversely, AP's version of Imperium failed because it tried to place equal focus on strategic ship movement, tactical ship combat, and ground campaigns.

The Kingmaker suggestion in the thread McPerth linked is perhaps the best starting point from which to develop a Rebellion game. Even then, Kingmaker's level of complexity will have to be dialed back.