Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller in Other Systems

Traveller in Other Systems Discussion of Porting any published traveller setting into non-traveller games. If it doesn't involve a published Traveller/CE setting, it goes in Non-Traveller Gaming

Old August 16th, 2017, 04:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
ShawnDriscoll Citizen
Default My game system list

I'm going through my old Traveller folder that I started in the '80s. It contains systems that I've used to play Traveller's 3rd Imperium setting in.

Call of Cthulhu
The Morrow Project
SPI's Universe
FTL: 2448
Car Wars?
I had some notes for using Space Opera. But never owned that game it would seem.

Two years ago, I added Serenity to my old folder. I thought I've used another system since then, but it was probably the new Mongoose edition being released at the time.
Old August 16th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
I'm going through my old Traveller folder that I started in the '80s. It contains systems that I've used to play Traveller's 3rd Imperium setting in.

Call of Cthulhu
The Morrow Project
SPI's Universe
FTL: 2448
Car Wars?
I had some notes for using Space Opera. But never owned that game it would seem.
Systems I've used to run the OTU -
CP2020
Twilight 2000 (pre-TNE, post Survival Margin)
GURPS (pre GT)
Vampire (Conversion notes on my website)
EABA (During the EABA playtest)

Never got off the ground with, but was ready to:
CORPS
Hero (pre TH)
Mekton Zeta (Conversion work done for a friend)
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Hmm, systems used to run OTU adventures...
BRP/WoW/Ringworld
Space Opera
Aftermath/Daredevils
Twilight 2000 original
EABA
WW Storyteller system
d20Future
Alternity
D&D 5e
Burning Wheel

I used Cyberpunk for T2300
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:11 PM

AsenRG Citizen

Amusingly enough, I've used Traveller for different settings, but never even considered using other systems to run OTU.
Old August 17th, 2017, 04:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Stargazer Citizen

A friend of mine loves the Traveller universe, but isn't too fond of the official Traveller rule sets. He has used variants of BRP mostly, but we also considered various other systems including Fuzion.

@aramis: do you have any notes on your Traveller game using CP2020? I'd love to have a look at those. Just a few days ago I was thinking about using CP2020 for a short campaign inspired by The Expanse. Sure, the Expanse is not the OTU, but your experiences might help point me in the right direction nevertheless.
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:31 AM

RandyB Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
@aramis: do you have any notes on your Traveller game using CP2020? I'd love to have a look at those. Just a few days ago I was thinking about using CP2020 for a short campaign inspired by The Expanse. Sure, the Expanse is not the OTU, but your experiences might help point me in the right direction nevertheless.
I'd love to see the CP2020 and the Mekton Zeta notes, myself.
Old August 17th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I really like the OTU and Traveller, always have. Unfortunately, my gaming group as a whole HATED the Classic Traveller ruleset. Why the hate? Character Advancment, pure and simple.
We were all still in grammer school, in pre-Internet days. I was the only one with a wargames/simulationist background because of my dad's hobby store. Sure, they like science fiction, but not Traveller as a set of rules. Their connection to RPGs were AD&D, Gamma World, Space Opera and Top Secret. Except for AD&D, I was the one who got them in RPG's. Once I understood how CT worked in high school, it was too late. They were all power hungry xp munchkins. Remember, as a whole we had NO OTHER EXAMPLES or advisors to play.

So how to suck them in? Conversion of the OTU to rule systems that they liked and familiar with. This also addressed silly things like not giving up their beloved yada yada character from whatever game. And the questions of vital importance to young people like:
"Who would win in a fight, Han Solo or Captain Kirk".
"If I was in Greyhawk, what would my stats be?"
I originally got the idea from the AD&D DMG which had conversions from Boot Hill and Gamma World to AD&D. Then, once they liked the universe, I could lead them back to CT. If not, at least I was doing games in the OTU. So my my first conversion was Traveller to Gamma World. Experience points and level advancement. Just what my players wanted. Carnivorous anthropomorphic mutant bunnies with laser rifles and PGMPs were awesome. Then I did one for Top Secret. By then, I got them on board for CT. But the bug got to me and I have done conversions back and forth between rule systems and campaign universes.

So I have done back and forth conversions of the CT/OTU over the years with:
Gamma World
Top Secret - Yea, that one sort of sucked
Spacemaster - Because they all wanted psionics.
Doctor The Roleplaying Game (FASA) - DW had TL and World Profiles! No level advancement! A natural!
Fringeworthy
Marvel Superheroes - Yes, I went there.
Alternity
Champions/4th ed. Hero System - I am particularly proud now of that one as I did it in the late '80s/early '90 long before Hero Games did their Hero Traveller. Hero System became my Rosetta Stone between rule systems for a long time. It established my general system for conversions (self-taught). Once you have data points established between systems, conversions are easy.

Recently I have worked on others.
BRP/Legend/d100
Cortex System (Serenity/Firefly)
Cypher System (Numenara, The Strange)
Old August 17th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Currently working with Cubicle 7's Vortex System (Doctor Who, Rocket Age, Primeval, Pulp Fantastic). Each one has the pieces to make a universal system, but not a whole within just one of the games. But combined together the four games lends themselves easily to conversion of the OTU. Tech Levels and World Generation are in Doctor Who.
Old August 20th, 2017, 01:22 AM

LiNeNoiSe Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
So would I.
Old August 20th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Baron

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
I added a lot of the cyber and bioware options to T5 when I ran our last campaign. The players didn't go overboard, and with some minor mods it seemed to work well.