Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Traveller 5 > Traveller 5 > Pre-Release Discussion

Pre-Release Discussion Archive of the pre-release T5 Public

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
http://traveller5.com/TOC.PDF (there's an updated version on the T5 Dividers, I think, though there doesn't appear to be an online version of that).

From the items in the table of contents for T5, which chapters are most in demand?

Here's some copy stolen from FFE's byzantine website.

Quote:
Introduction. Foreword. The Foundations of Traveller. The Vast Span of History. The Milieux.

The Basics. The Nature of Role-Playing. What You Need To Play. Players’ Guide to Traveller. Referee's Guide to Traveller. Die Rolls and Dice. Units of Measure. The Typical Setup.

Characters. What Characters Do. The Archetypes. Careers. Life Pursuits. Character Creation. Humans and Non-Humans. The Major Races. The Minor Races. Aptitudes. Heritage. Homeworld. Genetic. Cultural.

Tasks and Skills. Understanding Tasks. Resolving Tasks. Creating Tasks. The Task Library. Skills. Experience.

Adventuring.

Interactions. Personal. Getting Acquainted. Friendships. Enmity. Getting Information. Bargaining. Persuading. Forcing Action. Fighting. Multi-Personal Interactions. Battles. Wars.

Situations. Goals. Missions. Events. Encounters. Patrons. People. Animals. Monsters. Situations. The Unusual. Generating Encounters.

Actions and Consequences. Events. Continuing NPCs. Patrons. Nemeses. Gimmicks.

Objects. Weapons. Equipment. Equipment Design. Vehicles (Land Sea Air). Vehicle Design. Beasts of Burden.

Starships and Spacecraft. Space Travel. Starship Operations. Starship Design. Starship Combat. Starship Problems.

The Galaxy. Regions. Sectors and Subsectors. Star Systems. Stars. Mapping Space.

Worlds. Worlds. World Generation. Terrain. Cities and Settlements. World Surface Travel. Mapping Worlds. Animal Encounters. Travel Times.

Flora And Fauna. Animals. Plants. Strange Beasts and Beings.

Technology. The Tech Level Scale. Alternative Technology.

Cultures. Populations. The Focus of Population Historical Antecedents. Rival Factions. The Influence of Economics.

Money and Accounting. Currency. Items of Value. Types of Accounting. Barter.

Information. Library Data. Museum Data. Information Analysis. Research and Development.

Activities. Entertainment. Exploration and Surveys. Corporations Manufacturing. Masquerade. Mercenary Operations. Military Operations. Naval. Noble Missions. Prospecting Psionics. Quests. Scams. Research. Strategic Manipulations. Trade. Transport. Troupe (and Bards).

Creating Adventures. Elements of the Adventure. Elements of the Campaign.

Appendices. The Traveller Card System. IMTU. Languages. Calendars. The Milieux. Faraway Sector. Deck Plan Symbols. Outdoor Mapping. The History of Traveller.
Tools Link
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen
Tasks and Skills. What was the final outcome on the task system?

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Yep, I'd like to see the final version of skills and tasks too.

Then combat...
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Good, we can do that. The skill list is going through one more round of being-hit-repeatedly-with-baseball-bats, then I can post the Beta to the Moot.

I've bugged Marc recently about combat. I'll have to bug him again.
Tools Link
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
I'm also lobbying for chargen. Doesn't it make sense to start with the basics?
Tools Link
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:44 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
Quote:
Originally posted by robject:
I'm also lobbying for chargen. Doesn't it make sense to start with the basics?
It certainly does. As we found out in the DBRP playtest, you really need to be able to roll up some characters in order to test the rest of the rules. After all, characters are the rules interface of any game.
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:07 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Trouble is with Traveller that the skill system will decide how character generation will work (how many skill levels you get over all).
With DBRP the system was already pretty much evident (% roll under).
If T5 goes with a modified version of the T4 task system then skills will have to be handed out at a much greater rate than in a MT based game.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:20 AM
Marquis

Visit robject's Blog
Well, Marc does want parity between skill levels and age arrived at by the time the character hits somewhere around 30. Or 34. Or something.

I guess that presumes T4.1.
Tools Link
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:33 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Quote:
I guess that presumes T4.1.
Which means, for some of us, count us out of the purchaser pool.

I'll continue to play devil's advocate, but if it's T4 based, then I won't buy it, nor likely run it.

If Marc insists upon a T4 baseline, well, T4 died for good reasons, only one of which was crappy editing.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:35 AM
Noble

For the thirty year anniversary edition I would seriously consider a re-release of an updated and tweaked Traveller Book instead.