Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old February 3rd, 2019, 11:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Question Round 2. OOC!

This is your generic OOC (Out Of Character) Thread. The IC (In-Character) Thread is titled: Round 2. GO!

Here goes all the generic out of character questions or discussions regarding the game. All topics not related to CharGen are home her as loing ad they are game related. If you just wants to be sociable then we can have Hanging Out thread for that.

So, outside of play questions about the setting, flora or fauna, NPCs, game or setting rules or mechanics questions, hopes and aspirations (Characters, goon ) all go here.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; February 22nd, 2019 at 01:07 AM..
Old February 22nd, 2019, 02:11 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Somewhat confusing, some of your other Sticky threads seem to invite comments but the threads are locked. Finally found this one, so I guess I'll try to lump the comments here, if I can remember - short term memory is an especial problem for me.

You said something about needing a new deckplan for Something Clever. I'm a pretty fair hand at deckplans, either modifying the current one or starting from scratch, if you can tell me what it is you want changed. I like to work in GIMP, but can save results to whatever format you need.

Speaking of ships, my PC Frank had a detached duty Scout ship as a mustering out benefit. That was previously the Vargr's Grin; is it now the Something Clever instead?

I notice that our start of action is ready to go, stating that we're all at the old downport. A few more Qs before I post anything for Frank IC:

Whatever ship we have, did we leave it docked at the Highport and shuttle down, or did we (or at least Frank) land the ship and disembark here at the Old Port?

Do the PCs already know each other, or did our invitation from the local noble specify names of other invitees, or some recognition signal or meeting place by which we might recognize each other?

Does Bohen have a Scout Base?

Is there a data sheet about Bohen linked from one of those Stickies? (I skimmed them all yesterday, but that was yesterday, and I don't see a Bohen sheet with the stuff I downloaded.)

I think you said something about our PCs having just mustered out. I'd think Rangers would need to muster out at a Scout Base, especially if receiving a detached duty ship. So maybe Frank just arrived at the Old Port to catch some form of public transport after mustering out at the Scout Base. Or, if Bohen doesn't have a Scout Base, then Frank came to Bohen for some reason after mustering out elsewhere. What sayeth the GM?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:40 AM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Space Answers for SpaceBadger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Somewhat confusing, some of your other Sticky threads seem to invite comments but the threads are locked. Finally found this one, so I guess I'll try to lump the comments here, if I can remember - short term memory is an especial problem for me.
Some are locked because they're basically the forum version of Referee Only as far as posting to them. They're for information only stuff, like World data, Character records, things like that the Ref or Players made need to consult for info. Keeping it Closed keeps things clean and makes the information easier to find if I'm the only one posting and it is straight up on topic. Like the Sandbox thread which is for information regarding the Worlds of the Sandbox.

Quote:
You said something about needing a new deckplan for Something Clever. I'm a pretty fair hand at deckplans, either modifying the current one or starting from scratch, if you can tell me what it is you want changed. I like to work in GIMP, but can save results to whatever format you need.
Actually, I need to get at Ian since MajorB did a bang up refit to the new T5 ACS rules. And that includes some major work, since the new one features a 20-ton Drop Tank. However, you can take the one in the STARSHIPS thread and work it up. But I'm not posting the new stuff because that is for the book.

Quote:
Speaking of ships, my PC Frank had a detached duty Scout ship as a mustering out benefit. That was previously the Vargr's Grin; is it now the Something Clever instead?
That was in an alternate timeline.

Quote:
I notice that our start of action is ready to go, stating that we're all at the old downport. A few more Qs before I post anything for Frank IC:
GA!

Quote:
Whatever ship we have, did we leave it docked at the Highport and shuttle down, or did we (or at least Frank) land the ship and disembark here at the Old Port?
Funny that you should ask...play and find out. But no you came in a Scout ship that stopped at Bohen to pick up some new Scout Cadets. Big sucker, part school, part carrier, and tender, it's a support ship.

Quote:
Do the PCs already know each other, or did our invitation from the local noble specify names of other invitees, or some recognition signal or meeting place by which we might recognize each other?
Maybe, players decide if they know each other at this point. Not impossible all things considered. The invite was more word of mouth from a very trusted source. You know...A Rumor. Just like real Travellers hear of Patrons looking for people.

Quote:
Does Bohen have a Scout Base?
No. But it does have its share of wannabe Scout Cadets. But nothing past the Recruitment office on Recruit Row in Bohen Downs.

Quote:
Is there a data sheet about Bohen linked from one of those Stickies? (I skimmed them all yesterday, but that was yesterday, and I don't see a Bohen sheet with the stuff I downloaded.)
Not yet, but I did up a bit in the play thread. Will try and get some more in the SANDBOX thread for ya. EDIT: Entry for Bohen updated and Shesser added.

Quote:
I think you said something about our PCs having just mustered out. I'd think Rangers would need to muster out at a Scout Base, especially if receiving a detached duty ship. So maybe Frank just arrived at the Old Port to catch some form of public transport after mustering out at the Scout Base. Or, if Bohen doesn't have a Scout Base, then Frank came to Bohen for some reason after mustering out elsewhere. What sayeth the GM?
You'd think that, but rank hath its privileges.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; February 22nd, 2019 at 05:54 AM..
Old February 22nd, 2019, 06:50 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
That was in an alternate timeline.
Yeah, BUT... Frank is a PC in THIS TIMELINE. His character sheet says that he got a detached duty Scout ship as a mustering out benefit. Regardless of the name of the ship, where is it? Don't you think Frank would know?

[Added, in view of below:] Nevermind, we'll handle it IC. I'm just used to the GM deciding the starting situation, but I'll get with the other players and take it from there.

Quote:
Maybe, players decide if they know each other at this point. Not impossible all things considered. The invite was more word of mouth from a very trusted source. You know...A Rumor. Just like real Travellers hear of Patrons looking for people.
So we didn't necessarily muster out on Bohen, we could have mustered out elsewhere and come to Bohen because of this rumor we heard? That makes it lot more sense. I can definitely work with that!

Quote:
You'd think that, but rank hath its privileges.
What in Niflheim is that supposed to mean, in this context?
I asked a simple question about something my PC [and therefore I) would clearly know: how he arrived on planet, and where he left his ship. Based on your answer to whether or not the PCs know each other, I guess since you didn't answer the question, I get to just make up an answer that I like, within reason? OK, that's cool.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 22nd, 2019, 07:22 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Arrow

So, for PCs, in the CHARACTERS thread I see:

Dabi Salathiel, played by SanDragon

Frank Masuda, played by SpaceBadger

Julius Tanaka, played by ??? unknown

Also, 77topaz, I see a lot of posts by you, but no PC unless I missed it. Is this Julius Tanaka yours, or are you still working on yours, or ???

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:49 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Yes, Julius Tanaka is my PC, he only appears in a post by Magnus because of some slightly confusing post-copying manoeuvres by him: he copied our posts from the Chargen thread to the Characters thread but, because he copied the posts directly via forum tools rather than just copying the posts' contents, he was left with no way to attach an OP at the beginning of the Characters thread (since the posts he copied had timestamps in the past), and so he decided to edit the first post to place said OP there (that was my post), and pasted the original contents of my post in his post at the bottom. I'd have pointed out that potential source of confusion in the thread itself - except it's locked for anyone to post except Magnus.

The OP Magnus made from my post does point out the formatting is sloppy and that my character can be found below, though.

Last edited by 77topaz; February 23rd, 2019 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Missing word
Old February 23rd, 2019, 06:53 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
Yes, Julius Tanaka is my PC
Cool. So, where are we, guys? Magnus already kicked off the IC thread stating that we were on the concrete pad of the downport, having just stepped off the shuttle from the highport.

Magnus declined to answer my questions about whether we PCs knew each other, stating that was up to us to decide. He also declined to answer questions about the detached duty Scout ship that my PC received as a mustering out benefit, so I decided that he must mean for me to decide that as well, consistent with what little he'd already told us.

So I made Frank's first IC post along the lines Magnus dictated, arriving off the shuttle at Bohen Downs, with a little improv of my own to account for why he would leave his ship at the highport.

What I don't know is whether Frank has met your two characters, even perhaps whether they all arrived together on Frank's ship (especially Dabi, the other Scout). Although Mags didn't explicitly say, I'm figuring Frank mustered out at the nearest Imperial Scout Base, got his Rumor/invitation from the Banner of Bohen, and traveled directly here in his own ship, possibly with whatever passengers were heading the same way. (Or, I suppose Magnus could tell us that we just wandered to Bohen on a whim, as Travellers sometimes are known to do, and were recruited locally at Bohen Highport. That might make more sense.) Then docking at the Bohen Highport, then shuttle down, and here we stand on the concrete.

(I was going to look up what world would be that nearest Imperial Scout Base where Frank mustered out, but the map in the SANDBOX thread only has Bohen and Shessing as the only Imperial worlds up in the upper-right (rimward-trailing?) corner, so I'd need to find another of Magnus's Permatic Imperium maps to consult, and I fell back asleep before I could do that (darn meds!). Mags, a little help there?)

1. Have we met yet?
2. Did anyone (Dabi?) travel here to Bohen with Frank on his ship?

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; February 23rd, 2019 at 07:00 AM.. Reason: Auto-incorrect
Old February 23rd, 2019, 02:48 PM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
(I was going to look up what world would be that nearest Imperial Scout Base where Frank mustered out, but the map in the SANDBOX thread only has Bohen and Shessing as the only Imperial worlds up in the upper-right (rimward-trailing?) corner, so I'd need to find another of Magnus's Permatic Imperium maps to consult, and I fell back asleep before I could do that (darn meds!). Mags, a little help there?)
There's a 2013 map in Magnus's gallery (if the base locations have changed in newer versions, Magnus can correct me). Looking at it, the scout bases nearest to [1224] Bohen are on [1023] Poldi (J2 away, but an Imperial client world rather than full member) and [1526] Cessing Belts (J3 away, Imperial full member). Meanwhile, Julius's home base, [1425] INB Unbulne, is conveniently just J2 away from Bohen as well.

Also, upper right would be coreward-trailing.
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:44 PM

Arrow Hey peeps!

Sorry about the late response but work is much more work-like these days so not as much time to dedicate to gaming, but I'm home now and the rest of the week so expect a bit quicker responses.

Now, as to Masuda's ship that was gonna be given to him later but he seems to have somehow beat my plot. Damned coppers. On the other hand I do dig the higher fees at the downport idea, nice.

And of course as my latest Astrogation Board member 77topaz has the right of the Bases as I haven't done any of the changes to the maps yet. The changes are for the players to discover on their adventures.

Yes, if you wish to know each other that is fine, I like to let the players decide i they know each other as sometimes when they decide they do they have better ideas than the Ref.

Otherwise, any other questions? Comments, criticisms?

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old February 25th, 2019, 09:59 PM

77topaz Citizen

I suppose Dabi and Frank might know each other through both being Scouts, though it'd be less likely for Julius as he was in a different Service.

Also, thanks for the invitation to the Astrogation Board.