Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old July 21st, 2014, 06:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++
Default What Is your wish list for ships you'd love to see

Everyone has different tastes and different bench marks they use when judging ships, and other bits of kit...I know my own tastes, and my fellow gamers but I am really curious what other people like and dislike.

If you were looking over a new collection of ships what sort of vessels would you like to see in it.

What I would like to see on the showroom floor

As for Commercial Vessels.
My own tastes tend to run toward the run of the mill, rank and file working ships. secondary craft that might be swarming around a High port, or parked on a down port. Nothing too fancy but ships that would be something you might travel on, or might serve as an setting/prop for an adventure.

Military vessels I like a good cross section from patrol vessels and scouts up to the big battlewagons. I really do not like gimmick ships,one trick ponies, or ships that are more likely to be moored at a depot, or naval yard than out doing the actually day to day work of the fleet.

I am really fond of the smaller vessels corvettes frigates, and destroyers since your more likely to see one of those, than a Battleship or carrier. also small vessels are more suitable for PC groups, since they tend to have small close knit crews rather than the population of a small city.

secondly what would yo NOT want to see in it. I mean lets face it we all have that one thing that can turn us off.

My turnoffs.
Vessels that are nothing but a stack of statistics, without any style, history, or background....I know books tend to be very picky about the amount of background and descriptive text in a catalog, but I also like a ship that has some flavor to it rather than just an impressive stat block and a few pics....
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Some realistic naval auxiliary vessels, such as repair ships, ammunition ships, large personnel transports, provisioning ships, hospital ships, and possibly even large Liquid-H tanker ships.

As for commercial ships, a reasonably cost-effective Jump-3 merchant ship, that does not require a subsidy would be nice. Some non-jump capable ships for intrasystem use are also needed.

Also a wider range of standard ship designs, say a Free Trader that does not need atmospheric streamlining as it services worlds with no atmosphere and asteroids belts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation

More 100-ton and adventure type ships.
Old July 21st, 2014, 11:34 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
More 100-ton and adventure type ships.
As I am a small-ship universe person, I would echo that, and look for more ships of 600 tons and below.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Some realistic naval auxiliary vessels, such as repair ships, ammunition ships, large personnel transports, provisioning ships, hospital ships, and possibly even large Liquid-H tanker ships.

As for commercial ships, a reasonably cost-effective Jump-3 merchant ship, that does not require a subsidy would be nice. Some non-jump capable ships for intrasystem use are also needed.

Also a wider range of standard ship designs, say a Free Trader that does not need atmospheric streamlining as it services worlds with no atmosphere and asteroids belts.

Ya just had to go and give me an idea....
well the Jump 3 hauler is feasible the smallest, cost effective model I came up with is 600 tons ... I need to check my math but I think I have it right...

for an initial unit the cost effectiveness is profitable...by the best formula I have.... If it were mass produced the profit making potential improves slightly.

600 ton
Standard Hull

Hull 12
Structure 12
thrust 1
Jump 3

4 triple turrets.
18 tons reactor fuel
180 tons Jump Fuel
Endurance 1 jump 3/2 weeks.
Cargo 233 tons.
Crew
Captain
2 pilots
2 engineers
4 gunners/deckhands
1 Steward

Net tonnage
238 cargo
7 staterooms 28 tons
J-3 Hauler

TonnageHull 12/ Structure12
ConfigurationStandard Hull
Armor none
Screens none
Jump Drive Type H
M-driveType E
Power Plant P-Plant H
Reactor Fuel 16 tons, 2 weeks
Jump Fuel 180
fuel scoop/processor 80 tons per day
Bridge 4 crew
Computer Model III
ElectronicsBasic Civilian
]turrets 4 x triple turrets
beam laser, beam laser, sandcaster
fire control 4 tons
State rooms 12 Doubles
Ships Locker
Cargo 238 tons
Base Unit cost 254.25 Mcr

Standardized design cost 228.85
Standardized streamlined hull version 233.65

Cost effectiveness rating 3.00
CER formula From http://www.freelancetraveller.com/fe...d/tonnage.html
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:41 PM

Jame Citizen

I would like ships of 15000 tons and less, for a range of /tls from 9 to 15.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old July 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

I would like to see far more military interface ships, drop ships, assault flights etc. Also modular ships such as seen in TNE-Reformation Coalition where different modules can be inserted for specific purposes. Traveller does not really support a lot of customization and it would be nice to see more variety. Your ship is your home, your weapon, your salvation and Trav kinda disappoints on cool things to put into it.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:01 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
I would like to see far more military interface ships, drop ships, assault flights etc. Also modular ships such as seen in TNE-Reformation Coalition where different modules can be inserted for specific purposes. Traveller does not really support a lot of customization and it would be nice to see more variety. Your ship is your home, your weapon, your salvation and Trav kinda disappoints on cool things to put into it.
The JTAS No. 5 has a modular cutter. I assume that is what you mean.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:36 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
So does the Mongoose main rulebook. I'd point at the GURPS book just on Modular Cutters, but they made their version shorter and squat. It is still a fine reference for modular design, though.

I rather like the long, sleek form in Mongoose, which has one of the sexiest Modular Cutter pics ever to grace our fine game.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:47 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Kilgs actually is referencing the Reformation Coalition Modular Clippers

Jump capable ships of a couple of kilotons IIRC.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.