Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Gallowglacht Citizen

Wait, you had a chance to nab the whole lot and didn't do a legger and sift through the goodies? tsk, tsk.

Welcome to COTI.
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM

Visit mcgurk's Blog
mcgurk Citizen
Talking Mongoose Traveller

Bugger, you know I think I missed a trick there

Darn, it was a hefty folder though, I may have done
my back in making my escape

Thanks for the welcome, really awesome site
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM

Gallowglacht Citizen

Thanks, but its really just me and like 3 other guys posting under lots of screennames. Hopefully with a 5th person on board we can look even more active, attract more people and eventually act like a real site.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgurk View Post
He was a really nice guy and he is honestly striving to do the best job he can
he is definetly working within traditional Traveller boundaries and he has even been in communication with Marc Miller, how good is that
Not indicative of anything quality-wise... Marc's reputation for quality has been severely damaged of late (mostly by his CCG attempt and by T4)... could be good or bad

Many people feel Marc is out of touch with the fan base (myself included); being in touch with Marc is thus no assurance of anything.

Now, having emailed back and forth a bit, Gareth does seem quite reasonable. I do like what I've seen, except the specific details of the statistics of the draft task system.

I look forward to the SRD, as well... for while what I may produce under it won't be Traveller, it will be a trav-compatible, and if my players Like it, I may send it out for the rest of the world. Oh, how I love open source.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen

Having seen the three preview documents that are over on the Mongoose board, I was also impressed by how much the criticism from the playtesters was taken to heart. The Timing/Effect thing was generally not liked and even though Mongoose people kept saying how cool it was, it seems to have been removed as a core rule. Lots of other examples like that seem to exist as well.

I look forward to the final document. While it may not be perfect, it is certainly something that can be built on and grown for NEW GAMERS to start playing Traveller.

I recently convinced my two sons and a couple of their friends to try Traveller and rather than go to CT, I am going to use Mongoose's material (set in the TNE 1248 setting). Since I have to teach them the system from scratch, I decided to go with the newest system and the one that will be supported going forward.
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
ganymede Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to ganymede

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Saw that too did you

When I read it I was afraid they had got it right and we could look forward to a book of faceless, soulless, randomly generated, page after page after page, of "UPP : X-terms Service" or whatever
Actually, it is called 760 Patrons, because it, apparently, has 760 Patrons in it... they are making them full-sized books, after all....
Old July 20th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Gruffty's Blog
Gruffty Citizen

And, having received my copy of 760 Patrons, I can confirm that the book is *not* a list of 760 UPPs and skills. It's a very useful and a very well put together book, IMO.

Last edited by Gruffty; July 20th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

It is an extremely useful book but they ain't patrons, at least not compared to the original 76 Patrons.

It is much more like 760 NPC encounters. UPPs and skills might have helped it on but it's cool as it stands.

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Visit mcgurk's Blog
mcgurk Citizen
Cool

yep, more like an NPC book
but I like it nonetheless
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

I bought the Mongoose Traveller book as soon as it came out, and spent a few hours every day since then going over it in minute detail.

I like it.

Character development seems more balanced between professions, and the number of professions seems to cover more possibilities than CT. Although there is some obvious similarity to GURPS Traveller's character professions, Mongoose's system is still dominated by Classic Traveller's conventions.

But someone needs to issue an errata page (has this already been posted?). The percentage values given for ship's shares need to be re-calculated, and some of the descriptions and methods seem self-contradictory, but maybe they're not.

I've already generated two characters: A somewhat down-on-his-luck former Marine / former salvage worker / current drifter, and a James Bond -ish rogue with dermal weave armor, a DEX of B, and a fondness for body pistols and deception.

My son and his friends have borrowed the book to see about automating the character generation process in C++ ... I wish they'd hurry up, I want to get a game started!