Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen
Default HG EP valuation Meson Bay/Black Globe

Was looking at the Black Globe/EP capture mechanism and noticed possibly a missing valuation.

It says for turret batteries and bays for energy weapons to value by weapon rating as a multiple times the EP powering a single turret- so the EP output of a Laser-5 battery is 5, a PA bay value of 5 yields 25 EP, etc.

Spinal weapons are by their EP input with no modification.

But there IS no meson gun turret. What is the proper multiplier for meson bay EP damage?

By input differential, should be 3 or 3.3 x the PA rating of 5, so bay value x 15 or 16.5. But if there is something I am missing, please point me in the right direction.

The errata had nothing, although some interesting bits about powering up a powered down power plant and conserving fuel on jumps, rendering by inference a life support level too.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 01:08 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I would use use factor x 15.

Last edited by mike wightman; May 22nd, 2019 at 01:51 PM..
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:02 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Something about the mentioning of the meson turret jogged an old memory.
I started a thread many years ago about heavier weapons and higher TL weapons.

A bit of searching and I remembered - GURPS Traveller has a TL16+ meson turret weapon in GURPS Starships.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:56 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Something about the mentioning of the meson turret jogged an old memory.
I started a thread many years ago about heavier weapons and higher TL weapons.

A bit of searching and I remembered - GURPS Traveller has a TL16+ meson turret weapon in GURPS Starships.
I believe the Meson Turret was TL18 in MT, IIRC.
I can't seem to find the reference, however.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:26 PM
Noble

You don't recall correctly then - I thought it was in MT too but couldn't find it either. Then I checked my old threads and found the GT version.

Last edited by mike wightman; May 22nd, 2019 at 03:45 PM..
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:01 PM

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
It says for turret batteries and bays for energy weapons to value by weapon rating as a multiple times the EP powering a single turret- so the EP output of a Laser-5 battery is 5, a PA bay value of 5 yields 25 EP, etc.

Spinal weapons are by their EP input with no modification.

But there IS no meson gun turret. What is the proper multiplier for meson bay EP damage?
CT HG'80?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG'80, p42
The amount of energy a weapon transfers depends on its type and factor. Turret and bay weapons inflict a number of energy points equal to their factors times the energy point requirement for one such weapon installed in a turret. Non-nuclear missiles inflict two points times their factor; nuclear missiles inflict 100 points times their factor; meson guns inflict 20 points times their factor. Spinal mount weapons inflict their full energy point requirements. For example, a particle accelerator bay with a factor of 8 would inflict 40 energy points each time it hits and penetrates. If the target ship's black globe is operating at a flicker rate of 10%, the ship's capacitors would absorb 4 energy points.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:21 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Yep it's there, must have been looking at it cross-eyed tired. Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:14 PM
Noble

On my thread for high TL weapons in T20 I had the meson turret pegged at 20EP - I couldn't remember why until now lol.