Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++Vladika Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
Let go of Classic Traveller. It is just extra baggage that Mongoose Traveller knows nothing about. People paralyze themselves by hanging onto another game's rules.
Heresy! Sacrilege!

:oo: “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.” - George Orwell, Animal Farm :devil:

Lord Michael - Heretic
Baron Emape
Spinward Marches, Five Sisters, 0133 B564500-B
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:10 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Then we should find a gradient path between cryogenics, through Dumarest and ending up with Aliens.
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladika View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner
Let go of Classic Traveller. It is just extra baggage that Mongoose Traveller knows nothing about. People paralyze themselves by hanging onto another game's rules.
Heresy! Sacrilege!
Wrong and missing the point. Low berths are from CT. High lethality is from CT (as Wil pointed out, it was drastically reduced in subsequent versions). So Mongoose's use of them is specifically a case of hanging on to Classic Traveller. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, as long as the CT stuff makes sense. "If it's not broken, don't change it; if it is broken, DO change it" as I like to put it).

And it was a big misunderstanding back in CT, since the writers who originally derived it from E.C. Tubb's Dumarest books didn't appreciate the difference between the non-existent interstellar government in Dumarest and an interstellar government that promulgates starship safety regulations (e.g. Signal GK) in Traveller. Nor did he realize the difference between unplanned use of low berths intended for livestock transportation to transport humans in and regular use of low berths intended for human use that authorities hand out passage vouchers for (Mustering out befenfits).

And the Low Lottery is IMO ridiculous any way you look at it (except as an urban myth; it makes a lovely urban myth).

Hans
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Keep in mind: Mongoose's blog entries imply strongly, as do the MGT damage system and weapon damages, that Mongoose was working from CT 1E, and not considering the OTU at all. Gareth implied that he didn't consider the OTU at all, only the CT rules and T5 drafts... and that his CT books are the 1977 printing, plus the 1979 Bk 4.

Looking for MGT rules to support the post 81 OTU is like looking for Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Labyrinth Lord to include support for Dark Sun, Hollow World, and Ravenloft. Sure, you can run them with them, but you will need to deviate from the Rules As Written to do so, as they were not part of the designer's phronema.

Oh, and the writer introducing the low lottery? Marc Miller - it's in CT-77 Book 2 page 2.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Absent Friend

rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Oh, and the writer introducing the low lottery? Marc Miller - it's in CT-77 Book 2 page 2.
That does not change my opinion that it doesn't fit with the Third Imperium and is a bad RPG feature anywhere.

Hans
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Keep in mind: Mongoose's blog entries imply strongly, as do the MGT damage system and weapon damages, that Mongoose was working from CT 1E, and not considering the OTU at all. Gareth implied that he didn't consider the OTU at all, only the CT rules and T5 drafts... and that his CT books are the 1977 printing, plus the 1979 Bk 4.
That explains the weapon damage then.

Quote:
Looking for MGT rules to support the post 81 OTU is like looking for Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Labyrinth Lord to include support for Dark Sun, Hollow World, and Ravenloft. Sure, you can run them with them, but you will need to deviate from the Rules As Written to do so, as they were not part of the designer's phronema.

Nothing wrong with house rules. Even when they disagree with the original creator. I remember that some years ago Golan2072 made some house rules for the low berth that I liked. I may try to dig 'em out.

EDIT: Here they are. They're CT but can easily be adapted. http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ead.php?t=9996
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares

Last edited by Jame; March 6th, 2014 at 09:02 AM..
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:53 AM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancke View Post
That does not change my opinion that it doesn't fit with the Third Imperium and is a bad RPG feature anywhere.

Hans
I've always liked the low lottery. It's been "fun" in games past. But, yes, I've never had a PC turn in a 1,000Cr ticket for a low berth trip, either, always taking the 90% cash route instead. PCs tend to travel Mid or High Passage.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

It gets really interesting when you have to transport a lot of people, cheaply, like a mercenary battalion.

One of the reasons I started looking into alternatives, like fast drug in decimal doses.
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Absent Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplement Four View Post
I've always liked the low lottery. It's been "fun" in games past.
What sort of "fun"? Why the quotation marks? Liked it as a concept or as a feature in your games?

Hans
Old March 6th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Garyius2003 Citizen

1 in 36 chance of dying when the character is warmed outside of a doctor staffed medical facility is RPG drama, 30% no matter what is crazy suicide and unsupportable when you can cram people into staterooms with fast drugs for the same life support load, an almost 100% chance of living, and the same basic price.

Frozen Watch? "Gunner's Mate 2c, we are putting you on the frozen watch. Good news, you have a 60% chance of living to be warmed up." GM2 swings by the arms room, grabs a few grenades and a laser rifle and two packs, kills every single officer at the command before running for Startown to hide.

Enlisted pilots and engineers would just hijack a support freighter or Gazelle and run for the edge of the Marches.