Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old July 29th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Iron Wolf View Post
I got the ebook and read it a few weeks ago. Interesting story structure like Jack Vances: "The Dying Earth." It's a series of short stories told of the Agent's activation for different crisises during the first several hunderd years of the Imperium. The overall story arc paints a facinating picture of life and threats in the 3rd Imperium.

There is a lot of gaming material here and quite a bit of color too. Well worth the price of entry if you referee Traveller.

Lord Iron Wolf
I very much agree! Fantastic novel!

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old August 7th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Merc465 Citizen
Default Couldn't put it down!

My copy arrived Saturday and I was awake nearly all night finishing it. Very impressive for a first-time novelist; I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't read it in the book. Extremely reminiscent of classic SF. I look forward to more from this author.

Cheers!

Thom Wallis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
I very much agree! Fantastic novel!

Captain, Imperial Star Marines
Commanding Officer
Gamma Co., 6th Bn. (Jump)
4518th Lift Infantry Regiment

Merc465
realmimperium.blogspot.com
Old August 16th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Hal Citizen+Hal Citizen+

Well, I finally splurged and picked up a kindle copy of the book (I prefer real books, not electronic books that require electronics to read!)

Thus far, it seems interesting. When I got to the point where the Agent declares a system as being a red zone, I grew interested in the process involved and how quickly it could be raised.

It brought back to mind the ONLY time as a Traveller GM, I've ever instituted a change of a zone from Green to Red - done by the Star Port Governor. The reason? Some of Adabicci's power brokers were starting to change tactics from the usual "Plausible deniability" stuff to outright assassination attempts against Nobles of the Imperium on Lunion. They even went so far as to toss in a "fake" terrorist attack over the extraterratoriality line - damaging other assets in the star port in an effort to kill one individual aboard a modified freighter.

Net result was that the world was declared a red zone and all commerce was halted as well as other activity.

That episode in my own campaign gives me a high regard for the powers of anyone who can institute a red zone declaration at the drop of a hat. Not something that any member world in the Imperium ever wants to trigger I'm sure. Likewise, in my campaign, the person authorizing the red zone implementation had to answer for it directly to the Duke of Lunion - just to prove it wasn't done for frivolous reasons. I can't wait to get back to reading the book now dammit.

Hal