Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
rust Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
There has been occasional reference to made for using Traveller for other genres but quite frankly, I have D&D for fantasy, so I see no reason to use Traveller for that.
By the way, Marc Miller himself has used Classic Traveller for a fantasy set-
ting, in the Thieves' World boxed set.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Allensh Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Allensh Send a message via AIM to Allensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
By the way, Marc Miller himself has used Classic Traveller for a fantasy set-
ting, in the Thieves' World boxed set.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that idea at all...I personally myself don't see the need for it. If they do it and people buy it...all the better for them.

That Theives World boxed set was da bomb

Allen
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

rust Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allensh View Post
That Theives World boxed set was da bomb
Yep, a friend of mine based an entire Classic Traveller fantasy campaign on
the material in this box, and it worked surprisingly well, although he really
never managed to come up with a good system for the magic.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:50 PM

Gallery : 111
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
However, at this point, for the purposes of discussing the Mongoose version, Traveller means the Rules
seems to me that "the rules" are the least-adhered-to aspect of traveller. they're not the core of the game.

I'm all for mongoose publishing rules, just to give new players an easy and ready start, but they might want to keep in mind that anyone capable of running a traveller game will immediately start house-ruling everything to one degree or another. it's unavoidable.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Britti_Lover Citizen
Thumbs up

Cool. The first thing I played when I bought Traveller in 1980 was Star Wars. Loved that movie.

Over the years, I've played the Traveller modules and - to be blunt, they are really fun - as is even.

I do know that Marc wants to broaden Traveller's appeal by having other backgrounds avaliable for play besides the Third Imperium.

I've played Traveller three ways:

1) My own SF background or a borrowed one like Star Wars

2) The Traveller OTU exactly as published

3) My Own Traveller OTU which differed from Published material. (Imperium 10,000 years old and covers the entire galaxy).

The good thing about Traveller is - its really fun all three ways, I just made sure my players knew what was going on before hand.

Oh - and Colins - keep us up to date on that 2300AD work for Mongoose.

If you want me happy, include lots of Earth/Cybertech sourcebook material.

Here is my calendar of playing:

Classic Traveller - 1980-1996

GDW House System including TNE - 1991-2007

Gurps Traveller - 1998 - Now

Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Murdoc Citizen

Quote:
Are you saying that there is now an official COTI definition of "Traveller" (for the MGT forum) and that you will punish anyone who dares to disagree with that orthodoxy?

If so, why do we need a moderator to define that for us?

After all, thoughtcrime is so 1984...
I don't see it this way. A lot of the problems recently have been due to people defining their terms differently, which in my experience accounts for a good chunk of the heat on the Internet. This is one of the things I am glad I got from my (admittedly humble) science background, was the importance of establishing definitions on the outset of a discussion. Definitions are arbitrary, and hence we do with them whatever we please; but if any meaningful discussion is going to take place, we need to agree on them first, even if it is only for the purpose of a single conversation or thread.

Thus the way I see what Colin was doing was laying down what he proposed as a baseline definition to use. The reasonable way to proceed with that is to either a) agree and advance to discuss topics based on that definition, or b) start a separate discussion regarding the definition until an agreement can be reached. This is what the others have done by continuing this thread.

Personally, I like the idea of differentiating the Traveller Rule System (TRS) with the Traveller universe (OTU, OfTU, whichever), while the term "Traveller" can remain a overall term referring to both the system and the universe, or either, much like Klaus said. So how about that?
BladeMaker2 - Now a real T5 'Maker' for melee weapons from TL 0-20, with options, materials, sizes, etc.!
T5 Aerodynamics Rules - For ship hull configurations, realistic re-entry, etc.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM

Visit Colin's Blog
Colin Citizen

Punish you? For disagreeing with me? Not at all, despite the all-too-human temptation to do so. I'm trying to lay out definitions, so that everyone on this forum is on the same page. Mongoose Traveller, as written, is NOT truly generic in the same way that GURPS. It is too heavily influenced by the technological assumptions of the OTU to be. However, it can be used to provide the underpinnings for a number of settings. Each setting can/will/should modify the tech assumptions, and anything else it needs to.

In this sense, Mongoose Traveller is similar to the GDW "house system" of the late 80s, which was used to power Twilight 2000, Traveller: New Era, Dark Conspiracy, and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Not exactly generic, but very... flexible.

What I'm trying to do is stop the arguments over semantics by providing definitions within the context of Mongoose Traveller. These definitions, in general, will be those of Mongoose itself, to apply to discussions here.

Mogoose Traveller is the rules, not the setting.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:16 AM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You may not like it, but there it is, and that's the way it is.
That's only "the way it is" if I accept it, and I don't.

I don't like it, and I don't accept it.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:17 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I'm trying to lay out definitions, so that everyone on this forum is on the same page.

Colin,

Precisely. When Matt and Fordy write OTU, they're referring to the same thing we do when we write OTU. The terms have changed and we've all got to keep that in mind.

For example, in the new Official Traveller Universe, the Aslan are not psionic while in the old Original Traveller Universe the Aslan are psionic. If we'd remembered that when the preview came out there wouldn't have been half the noise generated.

Quote:
Each setting can/will/should modify the tech assumptions, and anything else it needs to.
Again, precisely. The new MgT supplement for Hammer's Slammers is a good example of this. The Slammers don't have gravitics which is part of the core rules and do have power gun technology which is not part of the core rules.

I'm looking very much forward to this supplement by the way, I'm interested in how FTL travel and FTL comms will be handled. While Drake has mentioned each only in passing, the books and stories dealing with ground combat after all, the political/financial machinations behind the various tickets - especially in the recent Paying the Piper - imply a certain kind of FTL travel and FTL comms.

Quote:
In this sense, Mongoose Traveller is similar to the GDW "house system" of the late 80s...
Bingo! A very neat way to explain it.

Regards,
Bill
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Fundamentally, the rules themselves hard-code certain default setting elements...
  • jump travel
    • Takes a week
    • measured in parsecs on a 2d map
    • can't be done within 10diameters of a body more massive than the jumping vessel
    • can't be done safely within 100 diameters of a more massive body
  • Gravitic drives for vehicles and starships
  • No FTL commo besides sending a ship
  • vectors and inertia for starship operations
  • Nobles in some form of massive imperium
  • 5 Iconic alien races: Aslan, Vargr, K'Kree, Hiver, Droyne
  • Habitable worlds are everywhere
  • small merchantmen can (barely) make a living
  • starship loans are at about 0.5% APR.
  • Humans are like roaches: Annoying and just about everywhere something nastier isn't, and living even in improbable spots
  • Military Conscription of unemployed 18yo sophonts is normative

Those are encoded into CT, MT, T4, and T20, and just as strongly, into MGT.

That set of tropes is the core of the "Traveller Experience"... the peronal traveller universes based upon the OTU is the most common expression of that Traveller Experience.

It's never been the sole expression. (tho' some editions made it harder than others to diverge from it and its timeline.)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.