Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Imperial Planetologist Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrinkhues View Post
Traveller canon OTOH is rather loosely defined with a number of fixed dates/events and some key technologies that are painted with a very broad brush. The rest is left to GM and groups. I.e. Traveller never says how Anagenetics or Universal Immunisation works, might be Nanostuff, might be crushed Hiver larva. Or look at Computer. In CT (the broadest brush) it was "THE COMPUTER" and in MT and TNE it got broken down into multiple smaller systems that work together for fault tolerance. Or take Athmosphere codes. "Tainted" is something that is unhealthy and reduces your lifespan. That can mean Bejing style smog or Bikini style fallout and the peoples reaction to that will match. "Religious Oligarchie" can mean anything from the Taliban to the ancient Egypts and so on

The only time Traveller canon is rigid is when people either want it to be to bash it or can't fill the short descriptions given by the game with life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyius2003 View Post
What is nice about the 3I, once I back out the mistakes and end up with a universe like GURPS or Mongoose, is that I have detail but lots of room to play.

There is a Navy, and x-boats, and grand events. However, whether the princess gets married is a background fact. Out where I play, my character can be a knight or baron, and never dream of going to Capital/Core.

By the same token, the PC can report to the emperor about the secret mission to determine if Norris is a Zho plant---of course the info will be 6 months out of date even if the party jumps there in the secret high speed transports.

However, even if Norris is, the main timeline can continue. Heck, you can even keep using the TNS feeds.

The Emperess can be jumping through the system, and the PCs can laugh, while drinking at the TAS hotel, at all the butt kissers. Or, they can try to steal the data chips her trip is a cover for (I would advise against allowing her death, but that is hardly kicking a pebble). Either way, the new TNS feeds cover the situtation.

Unless you are playing an unusual type of game, there is room to play. Of course a PC isn't going to easily replace Norris in the Marches. However, lots of room for a new Duke at the spinward end of the J-5 Rift route, holding back the alien invaders without ticking off their parents.
These are my people.

"The current version of Traveller is whatever people currently play. It's gamers that define what's current, not publishers." - Rhialto the Marvelous

"The only time Traveller canon is rigid is when people either want it to be to bash it or can't fill the short descriptions given by the game with life." - mbrinkhues
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

MongooseMatt Citizen+MongooseMatt Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Planetologist View Post
still selling more copies of its reprints than many publishers are of brand new games. A roleplaying game that is still played about as much as any game not named Dungeons and Dragons or perhaps Dark Heresy is played.
Not _quite_ true - however, we certainly believed we could make the game achieve these aims.
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

captainjack Citizen

Quote:
These are my people.

Allow me to join in the group hug. two of the better comments I've ever read on the subject(s).

In fact, I'll probably swipe them..

My Traveller, OD&D and obsessive game design Blog:

Crawdads and Dragons

Current development projects
Adventurer What if Original D&D was written for traveller !
Bricks and Basilisks: RPG Gaming with <ahem> modular and trademarked brick construction system minifigs !

I think the true measure of virtue is not how we treat people when they give us what we want,
but how we treat people when we are denied that.
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Imperial Planetologist Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseMatt View Post
Not _quite_ true - however, we certainly believed we could make the game achieve these aims.
My comment was based on figures that Hunter Gordon tossed out.

"The current version of Traveller is whatever people currently play. It's gamers that define what's current, not publishers." - Rhialto the Marvelous

"The only time Traveller canon is rigid is when people either want it to be to bash it or can't fill the short descriptions given by the game with life." - mbrinkhues
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-4

pierangelo Citizen

how does the game play in terms of big ship space battles? does it scale well and are some of the glaring problems from CT high guard addressed?
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
I think of it as not so much "sticking to rigid canon", but as more "getting your facts right"...
I stumbled across this line while browsing, and if I had a sig file, it (the line) would go straight into it (the sig file).

Hans
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
I think that Barbettes have been shortchanged in yet another version of Traveller. MgT allows me to mount a turret or a 50 ton bay on a 60 ton craft and then tells me that a Barbette is between the two in size, but it fails to follow the logic to it's conclusion and create barbette versions of the Turret weapons.

On the other hand, the ability to upgrade weapons at later TLs is very clever and seems simple to use. Upgrades include:
* Accurate
* Easy to Repair
* High Yield
* Long Range
* Resilient
* Variable
* Very High Yield
I agree with both these points. The latter is very in line with the MGT/CT feel, but the barbettes really do need laser and missile launcher guidance. Not much, but a little.
Tools Link
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
What is "rigid canon?" And why does anyone need to move away from it?
Depends who you ask.

Probably safest to say something like "decouple the core rules from 1105 Third Imperium, and where that cannot be done, then modularize the rules for hot-swap.". Reasonably done with MGT.
Tools Link

Last edited by robject; September 19th, 2011 at 07:57 PM..