Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Some things that I will not be including in any rule set are going to be massive amounts of combat rules. I will have them for personal combat, and probably something for players shooting at vehicles, but as for the rest, not likely. There are plenty of good rules sets out there for miniature armor combat along with miniature naval combat. I do have a low opinion of space combat, especially if nukes are involved. As for aerial combat, I will have to look at air-to-ground rules, or maybe put all of my data on that in a separate book intended for a wider range of gamers. Again, there are aerial combat rules out there for people to use, and I see no reason to try to re-invent the wheel.

As for personal combat, I am leaning toward using a D100 system, rather than 2D6. Some of the air-to-ground stuff might work in a 2D6 system, but I need to get out my operational effectiveness reports from World War 2 and Korean to decide that. I am working up the armor rules for personal and vehicle armor, using Real World data for that. This range with this gun penetrates this thickness of armor with this type of ammunition. Roll for hit.
Do you have a security clearance? Sept. 15 Blog Post, Not Politically Correct by any means.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old May 25th, 2019, 01:07 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

One problem right not is that I am not at home, with all of my reference material, and for some reason, the laptop with my digital data, at least some of it, is not picking up the wireless for some reason.

With respect to nukes and space combat, the smallest nuke warhead credited to the U.S. is 0.1 kilotons, which would have the blast effect equivalent to 50 tons of TNT. I have my doubts about the reliability of such a small warhead, as that is borderline "fizzle". Probably the smallest that could be viewed as reliable in terms of yield would be about half a kiloton, equal to 250 tons of TNT in blast effect. When a 6 ton Tall Boy bomb hit the German battleship Tirpitz and detonated, the ship structure for a radius of 25 feet disappeared, with massive damage extending out from that. That bomb was loaded with 5600 pounds of TNT, with the blast effect somewhat reduced by the bomb casing. With the one-half kiloton nuclear warhead, the blast effect is going to be considerably more than 100 times that of the Tall Boy. A hit with a 0.5 kiloton nuke on a ship is likely to take away about a 125 foot radius of structure as a minimum, or a 250 foot radius. I would have to do some number crunching with my Effects of Nuclear Weapons to come up with a more accurate figure. However, that is likely to take out most of the standard trading ships and small warships in Traveller, aside from ruining most anything larger. I am not sure what basis the SRD is using for weapons, but the nuclear weapon is way undervalued. Then there is the radiation effects that I really need to Effects of Nuclear Weapons for.

I guess I need to decide if I plug in some actual nuclear weapon effects in a table in my rules. I will have to give that some thought. I can safely assume that players are going to use nukes. It would be nice if they understood what they were doing.
Do you have a security clearance? Sept. 15 Blog Post, Not Politically Correct by any means.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old May 25th, 2019, 09:02 PM
Baron

Gallery : 7
Diveguy Citizen+Diveguy Citizen+

The SADM package came in a little under 50 tons equivalent. Although I don't have access to the original test data, given that it was deployed for roughly 20 years I am willing to state that the fizzle problem was not an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
One problem right not is that I am not at home, with all of my reference material, and for some reason, the laptop with my digital data, at least some of it, is not picking up the wireless for some reason.

With respect to nukes and space combat, the smallest nuke warhead credited to the U.S. is 0.1 kilotons, which would have the blast effect equivalent to 50 tons of TNT. I have my doubts about the reliability of such a small warhead, as that is borderline "fizzle". Probably the smallest that could be viewed as reliable in terms of yield would be about half a kiloton, equal to 250 tons of TNT in blast effect. When a 6 ton Tall Boy bomb hit the German battleship Tirpitz and detonated, the ship structure for a radius of 25 feet disappeared, with massive damage extending out from that. That bomb was loaded with 5600 pounds of TNT, with the blast effect somewhat reduced by the bomb casing. With the one-half kiloton nuclear warhead, the blast effect is going to be considerably more than 100 times that of the Tall Boy. A hit with a 0.5 kiloton nuke on a ship is likely to take away about a 125 foot radius of structure as a minimum, or a 250 foot radius. I would have to do some number crunching with my Effects of Nuclear Weapons to come up with a more accurate figure. However, that is likely to take out most of the standard trading ships and small warships in Traveller, aside from ruining most anything larger. I am not sure what basis the SRD is using for weapons, but the nuclear weapon is way undervalued. Then there is the radiation effects that I really need to Effects of Nuclear Weapons for.

I guess I need to decide if I plug in some actual nuclear weapon effects in a table in my rules. I will have to give that some thought. I can safely assume that players are going to use nukes. It would be nice if they understood what they were doing.

Shershe DAGU 2728 C540874-8
Ulaun ZARU 0405 C667153-A
TAS Ulaun
SEH
Old May 25th, 2019, 10:47 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I stand by what I said.

Old May 29th, 2019, 03:00 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

After looking at the Vehicle Design Book for Cepheus Engine, I think that is NOT going to be the way I will go with vehicles and vehicle design. As I am not that great at working with complex forms either, I will be using a different format for nautical ships, ground vehicles, and aircraft. I will need to adjust the Tech Levels a bit too.

Aside from giving a good list of usable vehicles, civilian and military, I plan on explaining exactly how to take an existing vehicle and adapt it to my concept of the Cepheus Engine. I will have to add sections on what armor is and how armor is computed, along with weapons data. I hope buyers will not mind using calculators to go from English to Metric, as most of my data is in English Units, and I am not sure how much work I want to put into listing both sets of data.

I think that I will put in at least a couple of vehicles in comparison to the Moon Toad stuff. A 38-gun frigate having fewer hull and structure points than a Greek Trireme. At the Battle of Lake Champlain in 1814, the British frigate "Confiance", carrying 37 guns, 30 on the gun deck, ended the battle with 105 round shot in her hull, ranging from 24 to 42 pounds. That does not include the hits that went all the way through, the ones that took down her masts, or the ones through gun ports that took out guns and gunners without staying in the hull. I cannot even imagine a Greek Trireme surviving taking 20 hits to the hull, aside from the absolute havoc that would wreak with the oarsmen. She would be wood splinters. A bow rake from even one of the 20-gun ship-sloops the U.S. Navy was turning loose on the British in 1814 would turn a trireme into a drifting wreck, with most of the crew dead or dying. Blakely and the "U.S.S Wasp" could probably ruin a dozen of them with no casualties. The bottom line is that the characteristics of all military vehicles will be based on combat results whenever possible.

Old May 29th, 2019, 01:57 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Frankly, from a gaming perspective, all that matter in the final result of whatever conversions that happen is their affects on combat.

Vehicles move, over terrain, they have weight/mass, they have size, they have internal parts that don't like high velocity metal bits running through them, nor highly energized elementary particles.

How much they cost, how much they carry, how much fuel do they take, are pretty much secondary to most game affects.

What you specifically don't want or need, IMHO, is any sense of "balancing" the system from an economic to a combat metric. I don't know if anyone has done any kind of capability to economic cost balancing sweep through the classic traveller systems.

I honestly don't think it matters, especially for a role playing game.
Old August 12th, 2019, 09:39 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I am working on the bestiary, and trying to cover all of the possible pack and draft animals that I have images of and data for. So far, that list is as follows: dogs, burros, mules (standard and large), horses (standard and draft), oxen, elephants, reindeer, llamas, and pack bullocks.

Working on the herbivores and predators, and then there is the water creatures. I have some nice images of strange-looking critters that make for some interesting larger creatures. I still need a good Dunkleosteous for the armored crush jaw of El Paso.