Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Contact!

Contact! Submit your favorite original Minor Alien Races for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old May 11th, 2019, 05:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen
Default Gashiini - Minor Race

Does anyone have Gashiini in their Traveller Universe ? They are in the travellerrpg wiki (Imperial Encyclopedia) as a "technologically sophisticated" minor non-human Terragen race, with a humanoid appearance, genetically engineered by the Ancients "from a giant prehistoric ape." I guess that is a reference to the Gigantopithecus Blacki (which may have died out circa 100,000 years ago, have stood up to 3 meters (9.8 feet) tall, weighed as much as 540 - 600 kg (1,190 to 1,320 lbs), and was related to the orangutan). I suppose that the uplift could make it a chimera, with some hominid chromosomes added to kick it into sapience. Like orangs and other great apes today, they could have low birth rates. I could see them having been left on a "reserve" world (perhaps an Amber Zone - any candidates ?)
And what does "technologically sophisticated" mean ? Industrial Age ?

As I like Traveller-related miniatures , I'm thinking it gives a basis for using one of the less grotesque Warhammer ogre miniatures.

Could be fun to roll one up. I would think that an 8 - 9 foot hominid uses 3 (or even 4) dice for strength and endurance, vice the usual 2 ? I imagine that social status in an interstellar sense could be lessened (minus 2 roll ?)as well. I could see various idle nobles wanting one or two as imposing bodyguards. But a lot of equipment would have to be custom-built to take into account their size.

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.