Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old March 27th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Cool Body Pistol Stunner TL-14

Oh yeah, this was one of my favorites, and appropriate here, too, if Magnus approves. If not available at Hunter Joe's, I'd like for this to be the model stunner that Frank usually carries, and for now has left behind on the Clever. At the time I wrote this I didn't specify what sort of stun beam it fired, but at TL-14 I would assume Neural.

Body Pistol Stunner TL-14
body pistol stunner undetectable weapon
This tiny high-tech stunner is designed to evade detection.

Category: weapon (ranged)

Description:
Body Pistol Stunner TL-14 Ranged (Pistol, Max Short) 3d6 auto(No) recoil(No) mass(-) magazine (100) cost(1500) p-pack(200)

As with most body pistols, this one is designed to evade detection by scanners of equal Tech Level or less. Unlike other body pistols, the Body Pistol Stunner fires a stun beam rather than a bullet. Due to its smaller size the mass is negligible; it is otherwise equivalent to a standard Stunner.

The Body Pistol Stunner can take many forms to avoid physical detection, often as some other sort of device whose form allows easy aiming as a weapon. For example, one model is designed to fit inside a small hand-held LED flashlight, and is even functional as such.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 27th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Cool Gauss Pistol TL-14

And Ha! again! Here I found the progenitor of Frank's Gauss Pistol, except that it appears that I convinced Magnus to let Frank have three selectable ammunition stacks in his gun! Maybe Frank's gun is really the TL-15 model? I need to look up the TL of Permatic.

Gauss Pistol (TL-14)
gauss pistol weapon
Improved over the TL-13 version for twice as much ammo.

Category:
weapon (ranged)

Description:
Gauss Pistol TL-14 Ranged (pistol) 3d6 auto(4) recoil(-1) mass(0.5) magazine(2×40) cost(750) ammo cost(20)*

The TL-14 Gauss Pistol improves on the TL-13 version primarily in its use of 3mm needles that are capable of the same damage and penetration as the earlier 4mm needles, due to use of improved aerodynamics and denser metal. This, combined with advanced magazine design, allows the TL-14 version to hold two standard magazines side by side, providing twice as much ammunition and allowing the user to choose from two different ammunition types if desired.

Ammunition Types (and price per magazine):

Standard: Typical gauss needle with high-density core and expanding exterior to provide maximum penetration and damage for a slugthrower projectile. Cr20/magazine.

Frangible: The needle is of lower density, lower ferrous content to reduce muzzle velocity, and is scored to fragment into slivers on impact, thus greatly reducing penetration while keeping the same damage potential against soft targets. Used primarily on shipboard or in situations where damage to equipment or overpenetration of walls may be a problem. Cr20/magazine.

Tranquilizer: The projectile has a very thin hard shell, an interior of gel that is a topical anesthetic, and a tiny crystal sliver of very strong tranquilizer which is self-dosing so as to avoid overdose in smaller targets such as children. The gel is lightly doped with ferrous compounds to give this round the lowest muzzle velocity and penetration of any gauss round; it will penetrate normal clothing but probably not a heavy coat, and does negligible physical damage. Max range is Short. Treat as standard Tranq round in effect. Cr30/magazine.

Shock: Optimized for use against robots or other electronics, this round has less mass and therefore does only 2d6 regular damage, but emits an electromagnetic pulse that does an additional 2d6 to robots or electronics within 1m of impact. Cr50/magazine.
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 27th, 2019, 10:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Re: the latest posts in the IC thread, I just noticed Magnus's posts are in present tense and SB's in past tense, and now I'm not sure which I should use. I'd been using past tense for my earlier posts, so I suppose I'll continue with that for now.
Old March 28th, 2019, 11:09 AM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Answers & Approvals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Very Important Question for GM: Is the Sonic Stunner a narrow beam to hit one person, or more like a shotgun, also potentially hitting adjacent targets? /snip/
Vorkosigan stunner tag is a fave, in fact those too seem to be Neuro so pretty much what I was aiming with the N-Stunner. Which does have multiple setting in the law enforcement version but is a single beam for the civilian version.

Quote:
/snip/

Memory Plastic Knife

Description:
Memory Plastic Knife: Resembling a blob of shapeless plastic (although it may be molded somewhat into simple shapes), this resin/fiber weapon resumes its shape as a very hard, very sharp knife upon being rapped sharply against a hard surface.

To return the knife to blob form, it must be heated above 100 C, as in a microwave oven, pot of boiling water, or direct exposure to fire (the plastic is extremely fire-resistant to much higher temperatures). The softened plastic may be worked with tools or molds into different shapes, or as it cools but is still soft may be molded by hand into rougher shapes. When rapped hard it will always return to its original knife shape.

Different forms and sizes of knives (or other tools) may be made of this same material, but the base form must be set when first manufactured, and the blob will always return to that base form when rapped hard.

TL-9, mass 0.5kg, cost Cr300
These are still legal & canon, so go ahead. Again will have to add to the GEAR! thread.

Quote:
/snip/

Grenades:

Description:
Grenades: Gas, Crowd-Control, Flashbang

/snips/

Gas TL-5 Ranged(thrown) Varies mass(0.5) radius(6m) cost(varies)
Crowd-Control TL-7 Ranged(thrown) Varies mass(0.5) radius(6m) cost(varies)
FlashBang TL-6 Ranged(thrown) Varies mass(0.5) radius(6m) cost(15)

Gas: Gas grenades can be of many varieties, as many as the GM or Players can think of and the GM will approve.
  • -
  • Tranquilizer gas would have the same effect as being hit with a Tranq round.
    -
  • Riot-control gasses often have nasty effects such as tear-gas or vomit-gas.
    -
  • Nerve Toxins may vary from temporary paralysis to permanent death.

Crowd-Control: While the gas from a Gas grenade must usually be breathed or at least have skin contact to be effective, these other crowd-control grenades work on anyone, even in vaccsuits or armor.
  • Banana-Goo: This yellowish oil, smelling faintly of bananas, spread out over the area of effect and makes everything very very VERY slippery. Saves vs Dex (or Acrobatics) are necessary just to stay on one’s feet, much less try to walk anywhere, and running? No way. Does require gravity for maximum effect.
    -
  • Tangler: spreads sticky substance over area of effect, which hardens within a few seconds to a tough rubbery substance, hindering movement. A direct hit on a person may render that person immobile as he/she is completely wrapped in rubbery strands.
All Approved and will be added to the GEAR! thread. Now for use on Bohen, you can get Tanglers and Slippy grenades. The others are for LEOs only.

Quote:
/snip/

Body Pistol Stunner TL-14
body pistol stunner undetectable weapon
This tiny high-tech stunner is designed to evade detection.

Category: weapon (ranged)

Description:
Body Pistol Stunner TL-14 Ranged (Pistol, Max Short) 3d6 auto(No) recoil(No) mass(-) magazine (100) cost(1500) p-pack(200)

As with most body pistols, this one is designed to evade detection by scanners of equal Tech Level or less. Unlike other body pistols, the Body Pistol Stunner fires a stun beam rather than a bullet. Due to its smaller size the mass is negligible; it is otherwise equivalent to a standard Stunner.

/snip/.
Approved, but note: no concealing form factors are allowed. A weapon must look like a weapon.

Quote:
/snip/

Gauss Pistol (TL-14)
gauss pistol weapon
Improved over the TL-13 version for twice as much ammo.

Category:
weapon (ranged)

Description:
Gauss Pistol TL-14 Ranged (pistol) 3d6 auto(4) recoil(-1) mass(0.5) magazine(2×40) cost(750) ammo cost(20)*

The TL-14 Gauss Pistol improves on the TL-13 version primarily in its use of 3mm needles that are capable of the same damage and penetration as the earlier 4mm needles, due to use of improved aerodynamics and denser metal. This, combined with advanced magazine design, allows the TL-14 version to hold two standard magazines side by side, providing twice as much ammunition and allowing the user to choose from two different ammunition types if desired.

Ammunition Types (and price per magazine):

Standard: Typical gauss needle with high-density core and expanding exterior to provide maximum penetration and damage for a slugthrower projectile. Cr20/magazine.

Frangible: The needle is of lower density, lower ferrous content to reduce muzzle velocity, and is scored to fragment into slivers on impact, thus greatly reducing penetration while keeping the same damage potential against soft targets. Used primarily on shipboard or in situations where damage to equipment or over-penetration of walls may be a problem. Cr20/magazine.

Tranquilizer: The projectile has a very thin hard shell, an interior of gel that is a topical anesthetic, and a tiny crystal sliver of very strong tranquilizer which is self-dosing so as to avoid overdose in smaller targets such as children. The gel is lightly doped with ferrous compounds to give this round the lowest muzzle velocity and penetration of any gauss round; it will penetrate normal clothing but probably not a heavy coat, and does negligible physical damage. Max range is Short. Treat as standard Tranq round in effect. Cr30/magazine.

Shock: Optimized for use against robots or other electronics, this round has less mass and therefore does only 2d6 regular damage, but emits an electromagnetic pulse that does an additional 2d6 to robots or electronics within 1m of impact. Cr50/magazine.
This also Approved though, not the Shock rounds. Not sure if those are possible in ammunition and as they do 2D of Hits not legal on Bohen anyway. Basically the Tranq darts are the legal ones for LL-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
Re: the latest posts in the IC thread, I just noticed Magnus's posts are in present tense and SB's in past tense, and now I'm not sure which I should use. I'd been using past tense for my earlier posts, so I suppose I'll continue with that for now.
Yep, it is present tense in my games, your characters are doing things, the past tense is things they've done. Thus to me all RPGs are present tense.

Quote:
/snip/
  • Electrolaser stunner operates as a low-powered pulse laser pistol, not powerful enough to do any damage more than a slight skin burn, won't even ignite paper. The trick is that right on top of the laser pulse the pistol emits a bolt of electricity that follows the ionization trail of the laser to hit and Stun the target, like a Taser without the wires.
    -
  • Necessary tech to make Electrolaser is a pulse laser that can fit into a pistol, plus energy storage to power both the laser and the electric stun bolt. Maybe same TL as laser pistol, maybe one TL lower since the laser doesn't need killing power, only enough to make the ionized path through atmosphere?
    -
  • I think Electrolaser stunner fits about the same niche as Sonic stunner. Both are better than Taser bc they don't need darts/wires, so can keep shooting as long as energy cell holds out. Both probably have a little better range than Taser (no wires), but not too great. Both require atmosphere to function at range but could probably work by direct contact in vacuum. Electrolaser has problems in rain or fog or any situation that might detour the electric bolt from its path; these same conditions might also interfere with a Sonic beam.
    -
  • I think the Neuro stunner is probably a better weapon than either Electrolaser or Sonic. Well, actually the Neuro beam is totally made up, so it can have whatever properties you want it to have, but if we are saying that it is the newer, high TL, more expensive version, then it should have some advantages: longer range, more accurate, works in vacuum, not as vulnerable to atmospheric interference, whatever you think appropriate.

Edit: and if, as you say, Electric damage isn't supposed to cause Stun... well, we know damn well that it should, unless Tasers and stunguns in current usage are Not Real? As Hans Rancke used to say, "It also has to make sense."
A couple things. One, not my circus on the Electric/Shock damage but that is what the RAW has now, Electric does Hits not Stun. In the case of the stungun and taser that is why it got switched to Pain because let's face it, they do seem to cause pain when used.

Got no need for the electro-stunner with the neurostunner and I wanted some high tech stunners as well as the old standbys. Not that it's bad, I mean it may be I'm no physicist. But that said, Approved and will be moved the GEAR! thread.

As to the TL of the Permatic Imperium, well Capitol is TL-K (20) and the rest of the Core is around there TL-H (18) to TL-K (20). So that old TL-F limit isn't valid here in the PI. That said y'all are a bit off the beaten path currently so choices aren't going to be the best. Also, Hans love him but he was full of crap, it doesn't have to make sense, just be internally consistent.

Hope this helps everyone. And that you're having a grand day.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old March 28th, 2019, 07:40 PM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
Yep, it is present tense in my games, your characters are doing things, the past tense is things they've done. Thus to me all RPGs are present tense.
Right, that makes sense. I'll use present tense in my future IC posts.
Old April 1st, 2019, 03:58 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood
Hope that you're having a grand day.
Wellll... not exactly... Hey, guys, I hope y'all had good weekends. I've been down with a nasty flu of some kind, and I mean the delirious light-headed kind where I sorta blank out Thursday afternoon and don't really remember anything until I "woke up" late last night. Which was a good time for me to come to my senses, because by then my wife was getting sick and needed me to take care of her.

Her lungs aren't in really great shape, so any illness brings risk of pneumonia, so we're at the hospital in St Louis now trying to stave that off. At least the x-ray showed no serious pneumonia development yet, so they're treating it as bronchitis with antibiotics to keep it from getting worse.

Not sure how long we'll be here; last time was in January and I think that was for about a week. If it takes that long to beat the infection, I hope we get moved to another room soon. I think they must be pretty crowded, because between the two of us, we've spent a =lot= of nights in a lot of different rooms in this place over the past five years, and we've never been in a room this old and small. Not only do I not have the usual couch/bed, I don't even have a reclining chair! If I have to try to sleep in this thing more than a couple nights, I may have to wave her bye-bye and go sleep in the car. Or a nearby hotel...

But at least they have decent WiFi!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood
Right, that makes sense. I'll use present tense in my future IC posts.
Hmm. I guess I usually state my PC's actions in present tense in a face to face game when we're all sitting around a table (or more often all the NPCs' actions, since I usually get stuck being GM), but then switch to past tense as it seems more natural when writing out my portion of the story in a Play by Post.

However, the GM has spoken, and 77topaz concurred, so since this is a social activity I'll follow the pack and switch to present tense as well.

I suppose I should try to talk about hardware, or even write an IC post, but frankly I'm just too damn tired. We'll see if I actually get any sleep tonight, and maybe write something tomorrow.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old April 1st, 2019, 01:50 PM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Thumbs up It's okay.

Quote:
Wellll... not exactly... Hey, guys, I hope y'all had good weekends. I've been down with a nasty flu of some kind, and I mean the delirious light-headed kind where I sorta blank out Thursday afternoon and don't really remember anything until I "woke up" late last night. Which was a good time for me to come to my senses, because by then my wife was getting sick and needed me to take care of her.

Her lungs aren't in really great shape, so any illness brings risk of pneumonia, so we're at the hospital in St Louis now trying to stave that off. At least the x-ray showed no serious pneumonia development yet, so they're treating it as bronchitis with antibiotics to keep it from getting worse.

Not sure how long we'll be here; last time was in January and I think that was for about a week. If it takes that long to beat the infection, I hope we get moved to another room soon. I think they must be pretty crowded, because between the two of us, we've spent a =lot= of nights in a lot of different rooms in this place over the past five years, and we've never been in a room this old and small. Not only do I not have the usual couch/bed, I don't even have a reclining chair! If I have to try to sleep in this thing more than a couple nights, I may have to wave her bye-bye and go sleep in the car. Or a nearby hotel...

But at least they have decent WiFi!

Hmm. I guess I usually state my PC's actions in present tense in a face to face game when we're all sitting around a table (or more often all the NPCs' actions, since I usually get stuck being GM), but then switch to past tense as it seems more natural when writing out my portion of the story in a Play by Post.

However, the GM has spoken, and 77topaz concurred, so since this is a social activity I'll follow the pack and switch to present tense as well.

I suppose I should try to talk about hardware, or even write an IC post, but frankly I'm just too damn tired. We'll see if I actually get any sleep tonight, and maybe write something tomorrow.
Take care of yourselves.

As to the tense, cool, but it isn't an Edict or anything.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old April 2nd, 2019, 08:39 PM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

There's no tense like the present!

Now, throw me a 'banana.'
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:43 AM

77topaz Citizen

Er, bump? Mine is the most recent post in the IC thread, and there's various bits and pieces Frank, Dabi or the Ref could respond to.
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up Agreed.

Quote:
Er, bump? Mine is the most recent post in the IC thread, and there's various bits and pieces Frank, Dabi or the Ref could respond to.
Sorry, but real life and all. But also I too was waiting, I thought y'all might do some of that get to know each other stuffs.

We can move on if peeps would prefer.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean