Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Imperial Encyclopedia Wiki > Wiki Discussion

Wiki Discussion Any questions, comments, suggestions, or other discussion of the Traveller Wiki should go here.

Old February 20th, 2019, 07:39 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

I guess. He occasionally made a big deal out of it, and in hindsight didn't seem to really want to play.

Nobles just didn't seem to be laid out in the early days, much less royalty (imperial family stuff). I guess it's better laid out now, but still seems nebulous at points. Do you have a personal guard? Is there a "noble" version of TAS? What kind of etiquette should you expect on what kind of worlds? I mean I'm not much into it anymore, but it seemed like it wasn't addressed, and I'm still kind of clueless on it. I mean, if you're a Duke, then who's minding the store while your gallivanting out here in the Marches? That stuff. Like you say, it's just back story, so both player and Ref have to make it up I guess.
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I guess. He occasionally made a big deal out of it, and in hindsight didn't seem to really want to play.

Nobles just didn't seem to be laid out in the early days, much less royalty (imperial family stuff). I guess it's better laid out now, but still seems nebulous at points. Do you have a personal guard? Is there a "noble" version of TAS? What kind of etiquette should you expect on what kind of worlds? I mean I'm not much into it anymore, but it seemed like it wasn't addressed, and I'm still kind of clueless on it. I mean, if you're a Duke, then who's minding the store while your gallivanting out here in the Marches? That stuff. Like you say, it's just back story, so both player and Ref have to make it up I guess.
Examples:
  1. You have been relieved of your governmental responsibilities as Duke, willingly or otherwise (i.e. you no longer have a "See" such as Imperial Regional Governor or Finance Minister), and now only have your Social Position and a legacy, and a lot of free time on your hands. Presumably you have an estate somewhere with a trustworthy staff who mind the day-to-day running of the household, largely independent of your direct oversight. You have decided to "see the galaxy", or otherwise pursue your own goals with the free time and reputation that you have at your disposal.

2. Rivals have ousted you from power in the Moot or Senate or at Court (or other body of Nobility) and you are in disgrace, falsely accused, or otherwise in a situation where it is best that you be "elsewhere". You have fled to the frontier to escape your enemies and are "on your own", perhaps keeping a low profile, perhaps not, depending on the nature of your disfavor back at court.

3. Your nobility is merely an honor-title either for notable service, or (more likely at the ducal level), as a result of a familial relation to a serving High Noble (remember that Traveller LBBs imply that noble titles are used by all members of the family, similar to European Continental nobility, and unlike the British Peerage). Your "social-promotions" during character generation may be partly associated with your noble relative being elevated in his career, and you benefiting by the relationship. You do not hold a ducal See or otherwise command ducal-level responsibilities yourself. It is possible that you yourself are personally knighted and even might hold a Baronial honor-title in your own right, but that your high Soc derives primarily from your close relative. As a result (as a "cadet" member of a noble family) you have much free time just like any other Traveller who has just gone thru a "significant career change", and have a social-title and some family connections to call upon in Soc-based interpersonal tasks with NPCs, but otherwise must make your own way.

4. Similar to above, but you are a "remittance man" - someone who belongs to a Noble family but is being paid to stay away from home for some reason (embarrassing incident caused by either the character or the parent/sibling, safety of the character from political or other machinations, etc.) and is on his own and far away from home.

5. As a Duke and Brigadier General - Perhaps you have formed a well-known elite Mercenary Unit with your title and background after your mustering out from the Imperial Forces, or perhaps you are on retainer by the government to do special operations for them at need with such a unit.

Also, something to keep in mind: in LBB'77 Traveller, Noble titles were all Local Planetary Nobility, NOT Imperial/Interstellar Nobility, even up to Soc=15. So the High Soc in CharGen issue was less of a problem for explaining things at the Traveller/Interstellar level - you just weren't that significant on that scale.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry

Last edited by whulorigan; February 20th, 2019 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old February 20th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

Good back stories. Nice.
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

I get the nobility setup now more. Thanks for all the replies. And reflecting on my John Carter of Mars era, I get Traveller more now than ever. It only took me thirty years. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me post.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog

whulorigan; just a quick note here, I apologize for sounding dismissive to you and others. Your post really helped clear things up for me. I understand the game's intent a whole lot better, as well as some other issues outside the game.

As usual, you and the rest of the COTI crew were and are as always highly informative.

Thanks again.
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:40 AM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
whulorigan; just a quick note here, I apologize for sounding dismissive to you and others. Your post really helped clear things up for me. I understand the game's intent a whole lot better, as well as some other issues outside the game.

As usual, you and the rest of the COTI crew were and are as always highly informative.

Thanks again.
No need to apologize. I was not offended in any way.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old March 6th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+Condottiere Citizen+

Nobility gets mentioned in Space Viking, Mote In God's Eye and Dune, and the characters have actual functions and responsibilities, including secession, whereas Leia is the damsel in distress whose plight is elevated by having a title.