Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old August 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
vutpakdi Citizen
So, do non-gauss projectile weapons from the Traveller universe work in a vacuum or some weird, oxygen poor atmosphere? Okay, rounds based on TL-8 or less tech probably would not, but do most rounds from TL-9 - TL-15 sources use some sort of binary propellent that doesn't require a significant source concentration of oxygen?

I'd like to assume that TL9+ (or maybe TL10+?) rounds use a binary (or more exotic) propellent that can be fired without oxygen in the outside atmosphere. What do you think?

Ron
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Psion Citizen
I don't see why any firearm that later than a matchlock wouldn't work. You might have problems with gas-action chambers on some firearms if their designs assume some specific pressure differential, but for the most part shells are self-contained and don't need oxygen AFAIK. Think about your typical center-fire round. It doesn't operate on oxygen in it's environment; how could it? It's sealed. Presumably such rounds have all the oxygen they need in the shell.

IMTU: ct+ mt++ tne-- t4- gt t20++(**) mongt++ ru ge+ 3i jt a pi+ st+ ls kk- hi+ so
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Wink

My understanding of the chemistry of bullet propellents is that the oxidising agent is part of the explosive in the "brass" case.

The gun should fire in a vacuum the same way it should fire underwater
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Morte Citizen
I would expect it to work. Evetually, accelerated evapouration of lubricants etc in the thin/absent air would increase the chances of wear and jamming. And lack of thermal conduction/convection will lead to faster overheating. But I think it would be OK for a while.

I've just told a player he couldn't use an SMG in a deep space hulk at about 20 Kelvin because (a) lubricants would freeze very quickly and jam it and (b) differential thermal contraction in the weapon would be far beyond the design envelope. It seemed plausible at the time.
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Morte Citizen
Bugger, I've just realised why you're asking...
Old August 5th, 2004, 07:37 PM

vutpakdi Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Morte:
Bugger, I've just realised why you're asking...
Hehehe [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

I never thought about the sealed bullet thing. Hmmmm... Well, either way, as long as it works, that'll come in handy....

Ron

PS: For those of you confused as to why Morte just realised why I ask, the issue may have just come up in our PBEM.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

jasper Citizen
did Nasa answer this. The old 20 things to take if stranded on the moon.
Old August 7th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

TheBrain Citizen
Originally posted by Ron Vutpakdi:
"So, do non-gauss projectile weapons from the Traveller universe work in a vacuum..."

According to Traveller Magazine and Mercenary yes. There quick definitve canonical answer, so it is written so shall it be done.
Old August 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

SlightlyLyons Citizen
Send a message via AIM to SlightlyLyons
The moon landing did take along pistols, I assume they expected them to work if there were little green men. In addition if modern firearm work under water I'd expect them to work in space.
Old August 10th, 2004, 08:42 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
I wouldn't overstate the thermal stress issues. Remember the gun is essentially in a vaccuum bottle and temperatures won't change very quickly.

Direct sunlight will be a problem in the inner system, but putting the gun in a loose bag should protect it. OTOH residual heat from firing will not radiate away very fast, so barrels will heat up quickly with automatic weapons. The first problem with heat build up will be "cook-offs" with the heat detonating cartridges in the chamber. Most SMGs are immune as they fire from an open bolt and don't chamber a cartridge until the moment of firing.

Evaporating lubricants are a problem, but contemporary pros use graphite on a dry weapon.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates