Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 14th, 2020, 03:03 PM
Werner Werner is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 230
Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+
Default I'll start my characters out at 6th level

I think I'll just start my characters out at 6th level instead of going through the prior careers routine, it is much faster if I just pick skills and feats as I would for D&D, start them out at age 26 with two terms under their belt and use my authorial skills to make up a background for them. What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 14th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Proneutron Proneutron is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 510
Gallery : 3
Proneutron Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
I think I'll just start my characters out at 6th level instead of going through the prior careers routine, it is much faster if I just pick skills and feats as I would for D&D, start them out at age 26 with two terms under their belt and use my authorial skills to make up a background for them. What do you think?
Very good idea.

I'm designing my game without levels but with terms instead. So the GM can say make a PC with 4 terms in any service. Based on your choice of Service and career path (E.G. Scouts, Engineering path) you have skill sets some mandatory, some elective you can choose from.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 14th, 2020, 05:30 PM
Werner Werner is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 230
Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Very good idea.

I'm designing my game without levels but with terms instead. So the GM can say make a PC with 4 terms in any service. Based on your choice of Service and career path (E.G. Scouts, Engineering path) you have skill sets some mandatory, some elective you can choose from.
So it's not going to be d20 Modern because that has levels. So are you going to have Feats and skills? In D20 there is a feat called toughness which allows a character to add hit points and the feat toughness can be taken multiple times. I think skill level with a weapon can substitute for the Basic Attack Bonus, so a character can get very good with hitting with various sorts of weapons. and a d20 would still be rolled against Armor class to hit. Is that the direction your going in?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 14th, 2020, 07:06 PM
Proneutron Proneutron is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 510
Gallery : 3
Proneutron Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
So it's not going to be d20 Modern because that has levels. So are you going to have Feats and skills? In D20 there is a feat called toughness which allows a character to add hit points and the feat toughness can be taken multiple times. I think skill level with a weapon can substitute for the Basic Attack Bonus, so a character can get very good with hitting with various sorts of weapons. and a d20 would still be rolled against Armor class to hit. Is that the direction your going in?
I AM going to us a D20 with 3D6 stats & skill levels. A PC has two primary attributes which get +6 to rolls when making skill checks associated with that attribute. Each "profession" will have a primary attribute associated with it (Str, Int, Edu, etc.) and the player chooses the second one.

E.g. Astrogation EDU related. The profession of Scientist has EDU as the set Primary attribute. So a scientist would get an set +6 bonus to his roll on top of the Skill level when making Astrogation checks.
If that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 14th, 2020, 07:35 PM
Werner Werner is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 230
Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
I AM going to us a D20 with 3D6 stats & skill levels. A PC has two primary attributes which get +6 to rolls when making skill checks associated with that attribute. Each "profession" will have a primary attribute associated with it (Str, Int, Edu, etc.) and the player chooses the second one.

E.g. Astrogation EDU related. The profession of Scientist has EDU as the set Primary attribute. So a scientist would get an set +6 bonus to his roll on top of the Skill level when making Astrogation checks.
If that makes sense.
I imagine only Barbarian would have strength as his primary attribute, mercenary, army, and marine would use dexterity, as modern combat is not usually melee combat, though low tech army might have strength if its pregunpowder. Noble would have Soc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 14th, 2020, 08:47 PM
Proneutron Proneutron is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 510
Gallery : 3
Proneutron Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
I imagine only Barbarian would have strength as his primary attribute, mercenary, army, and marine would use dexterity, as modern combat is not usually melee combat, though low tech army might have strength if its pregunpowder. Noble would have Soc.
Yes, Strength is not assigned to any other. USMC Infantry & Arty MOS might not be Dex but End. Maybe some other MOS's would be Dex though. I don't have Noble nor Soc but that IS what I would assign if I did. Scouts are Int, Fleet (Space Navy) is EDU. Rogue is Personality (as in FORCE of personality)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 14th, 2020, 10:40 PM
Werner Werner is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 230
Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Yes, Strength is not assigned to any other. USMC Infantry & Arty MOS might not be Dex but End. Maybe some other MOS's would be Dex though. I don't have Noble nor Soc but that IS what I would assign if I did. Scouts are Int, Fleet (Space Navy) is EDU. Rogue is Personality (as in FORCE of personality)
Usually I think of Rogues as a Dex character, thought the example in the T20 had a lousy DeX score. I guess thieves of the future don't pick pockets, move silently or back stab, what do you think. I think the most commonly thought of Rogue in Traveller is a pirate.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 14th, 2020, 11:26 PM
Spinward Scout's Avatar
Spinward Scout Spinward Scout is offline
Count
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: On the edge of the Imperium...
Posts: 5,390
Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default

Don't forget about Skill Emphasis and Weapon Group Proficiencies. T20 should have those Feats since it's d20 compatible.
__________________
I like my Traveller like the women I unfortunately usually date: Cold, Harsh, and Full of Drama.
In an effort to mitigate injury or death, the Space Patrol and the Interplanetary Safety Council recommend removing your head from Uranus before attempting any activities...
Excessive gravity is the only way to keep a good man down...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 14th, 2020, 11:26 PM
Proneutron Proneutron is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 510
Gallery : 3
Proneutron Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Usually I think of Rogues as a Dex character, thought the example in the T20 had a lousy DeX score. I guess thieves of the future don't pick pockets, move silently or back stab, what do you think. I think the most commonly thought of Rogue in Traveller is a pirate.
You are thinking of a 2nd story man or a gutter snipe that picks pockets. A Rogue (in a high tech setting) works by conning people, working confidence tricks, pretending to be someone (maybe very upper class) they aren't, smuggling, etc. Think of Paul Newman's character in the The Sting
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 14th, 2020, 11:50 PM
Timerover51's Avatar
Timerover51 Timerover51 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North of Chicago
Posts: 6,506
Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen
Default

It would look like that a thread is needed for "My Own Traveller T20 Universe".
__________________
Star Port Administrator: El Paso, El Paso, Sword Sub-sector, Piper-Norton Out Rim Sector
Link to Piper Sector: http://www.zarthani.net/ridder-mankind_to_the_stars.htm
Do you have a security clearance? New Nov. 22 Blog Entry-Sword of Cepheus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extra 0-level skills at the start of a game? Spinward Scout The Lone Star 61 November 20th, 2017 04:31 AM
Differences between 0 and 1 level skills when you gain another level. joshualevy Cepheus General 38 July 19th, 2017 06:45 AM
Characters & Skills & Tech Level Supplement Four Classic Traveller 41 May 15th, 2007 01:26 PM
Characters above level 20 bobpartdeux T20 - Traveller for the D20 System 11 June 10th, 2004 02:21 AM

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.