Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old July 25th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 0
Baron Citizen
Small Starburst Differences between CT and Mongoose

I'm a confirmed fan of Classic Traveller, and I really dislike learning new systems. I may have a chance to join a live game, but it looks like the system they'll use will be Mongoose. Can anyone describe or point me to a comparison of my beloved CT with (I guess) the latest edition of the Mongoose version? How much is truly different? Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Brandon C Citizen+Brandon C Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
I'm a confirmed fan of Classic Traveller, and I really dislike learning new systems. I may have a chance to join a live game, but it looks like the system they'll use will be Mongoose. Can anyone describe or point me to a comparison of my beloved CT with (I guess) the latest edition of the Mongoose version? How much is truly different? Thanks.
You are showing up one edition too late

I think you would have liked 1e since it mostly builds on the CT framework.

2e, OTOH, takes some radical departure from CT.

My website: http://copeab.tripod.com
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

The skill use in MgT2 is similar with 8+ being an Average roll. But it's missing some CT skills and several skills are handled different in MgT2. I can't comment on the weapon damage - it's been so long since I looked at CT damage charts. Other than that, UPP is the same (except they call it Intellect instead of Intelligence). UWPs are the same. I'm told you can port over the CT adventures pretty easy.

It's still a 2d6 system. Some of the feel is a little more MegaTraveller, tho. To me, anyway.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Character generation stands out as the career path provides a specific backstory event every term, as well as pre-career education offerings for all characters. If you miss a Survival roll you have a bad event, get injured and possibly discharged/fired but not killed. If you know LBB4+ char gen it will feel familiar.

Specific NPCs are tied to your backstory career via events and manifest as contacts, rivals, allies and enemies.

Ending up with a ship is a little different but the mortgage rules are essentially the same. You can also end up with medical debt due to an event in the service. But there’s also more and varied material mustering benefits and gadgets for the characters, including implants like subdermal armor and wafer jacks.

I love Mongoose, and 2e is better than 1e IMO. It’s not perfect but once you start playing it will feel very natural to you as it is modeled closely on CT. And material, (N)PCs, ships, deckplans, all translate very easily. Lots of great OTU support material if you like.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

OK, I can't resist asking this. Really not trolling, just frustrated. What's the point of switching? What morefun does MgT provide, in and of itself, that CT is lacking? Maybe the potential GM and I can thrash it out and settle on one or the other.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
OK, I can't resist asking this. Really not trolling, just frustrated. What's the point of switching? What morefun does MgT provide, in and of itself, that CT is lacking? Maybe the potential GM and I can thrash it out and settle on one or the other.
Probably it's the difference between a gaming group that meets regularly versus no group and no meetings. Or a gaming group of 20-somethings versus a gaming group of 50-somethings.

Seriously, though, it may depend on your perspective. I suspect that a younger crowd, as well as people who come from a non-Traveller background, will find Mongoose more accessible. There's nicer graphics, glossier books, maybe even more narrative and, dare I say it, safer. There's fewer skills, in line with modern RPGs that appear to deemphasize skills a bit in favor of other doodads that apparently flesh out your character. Again, feels a bit more narrative than CT.

All that is subjective, however. The rules are traditional RPG, and feel kind of like MegaTraveller as an earlier poster mentioned.

I think Mongoose has added some good content, but in general I prefer CT. Actually I prefer T5 with other modules thrown in for setting info, including CT and MgT, but meh.
Tools Link
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:28 AM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

Thanks for the reply. My thought would be that the latest and prettiest book usually wins, even though I find that deplorable. Funny, I'd be happy to try T5 or its systems tacked onto CT. And yeah, I literally threw MegaTraveller away, so that's not a selling point! ;-) If I have to, I'll go with this Mongoose game because it's been decades since I got to be a player in a face-to-face Traveller game, but I'm afraid that if I do, I'll give up after a few sessions. <sigh> But I really appreciate the feedback, thanks.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

You can get your feet wet for cheap by downloading Cepheus Engine, based on the open source components of MgT1E. Should get you a feel for it without investing $50+.
Old July 26th, 2018, 01:45 AM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

Yep, have that on on the hard drive, good point.
Old July 26th, 2018, 04:02 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

At the actual gaming table these are the things you will notice:

MgT characters have a better backstory from their character generation - but who generates characters every session? CT is faster and leaves a lot of the characterisation to the player and ref.

MgT characters will have more skills and those skills are not as broad as CT in some instances.

Event resolution - ref makes up a target number based on perceived difficulty and player rolls 2d. Usual target number is 8+, stats, skills, tools, environmental DMs can apply. If you can referee CT then you can referee MgT
MgT has one departure to task rolls and that is the boon/bane die mechanic.

Armour acts as damage reduction in MgT.