Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > T20 - Traveller for the D20 System

T20 - Traveller for the D20 System Open discussion on the D20 version of Traveller!

Old September 28th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default Any possibility of T20 being updated?

Does anyone know if there's a possibility that Traveller 20 could be updated under the Pathfinder license? Pathfinder (and now Starfinder) is compatible with D&D 3.5 which is the last iteration of the D20 licensing.
Old September 28th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

If T20 were to be updated I would go with 5eD&D rather than Pathfinder/Starfinder.
Old September 29th, 2017, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Does anyone know if there's a possibility that Traveller 20 could be updated under the Pathfinder license? Pathfinder (and now Starfinder) is compatible with D&D 3.5 which is the last iteration of the D20 licensing.
Would require Marc and Hunter's son to agree to let someone do it.

It's not "beyond possible"... but at present, it would be easier to simply submit to Marc a proposal for PathTraveller

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+

T20 was one of the first non-D&D d20 games that actually worked well. There were a lot of failures in the beginning of the OGL period and even some of WotC's early efforts, like the Wheel of Time RPG, didn't quite pan out.

So for its time T20 was pretty remarkable.

But that said, after T20 was released designers learned A LOT about the d20 system and made numerous mechanical improvements, as seen by 3.5e. Initial skill lists, for example, were soon considered far too narrow and as the system evolved were consolidated into fewer but broader skills. d20 Modern in particular was designed around a flatter power curve that would better fit a Traveller paradigm. 5e, with even more tightly bounded accuracy, might work even better still.

I dig Paizo's work, but if Starfinder is similar to Pathfinder, then the game models something much more heroic than Traveller.

I think another run at a d20-based Traveller would be very cool, but I think I'd build it from the ground up using a d20 Modern (or maybe 5e) engine, and look backwards to T20 and "sideways" to Pathfinder for discrete pieces. Some of the open mechanics from Mongoose Traveller -- most notably skills -- could also be used.

So that said, the tools are all out there to build a very tight d20 Traveller game.
Old October 6th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen

Didn't pan out? There were a lot of products.

MgT put T20 out of business. Hunter was going to produce SciFi20 and passed away.

It has been said there were financial issues with the production as well.

There is competition.;
MgT is now mature
T5
Mindjammer: Traveller
Cepheus Traveller discussions
and all the earlier versions
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:42 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I agree for it's time T20 was a good product. Since then a few things were put in other games that could improve T20.

The one that comes to mind for me is Lifeblood and Hitpoints. Very Star Wars D20. Could have gone like Babylon 5 where you get a bunch of HP at 1st lvl and then only 1 or 2 or 3 Hitpoints per level after that. Puts a more deadly Traveller-esque spin on combat.

Reputation is a mechanic in d20 Modern which could have been useful.

As far as non-successes, yes WoTC also had d20 Cthulhu. T20 was not a failure, based on the variety of products made. I still have my copy of 2320AD which I bought from this website...
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+

Note that my comment about games not panning out was explicitly referring to d20 games NOT named Traveller 20. Big difference.

T20 was quite good for the state of d20 design at the time, but that state evolved rapidly after T20 was released, particularly with regards to emulating low-heroic and science fiction genres.
Old October 29th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 9
Tikon Citizen

I have my copy of 2320 as well. Printed out and everything
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Qstor2 Citizen
Send a message via Yahoo to Qstor2

I agree that any new version of T20 should use D20 Modern/Future as the basis. I'd be interested in that for sure.
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:16 PM

Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++

I've never played it, but I've heard nothing but good things about T20--that it does do a great job of meshing Traveller with the d20 system.

If that's true (and I tend to believe that it is), then why would you want to mess with that?