Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old February 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen

I'm wondering if any ships heading to Australia with criminals ever got taken over by the criminals, lost and ended up elsewhere and such. My Google foo did not come up with anything.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Safety valve theory applies where most Imperial recruits are involved. Statistically, based on the world generation system, the "typical" Imperial was raised on a pop 9-A world ruled by a dictator, oligarchy, or impersonal bureaucracy. 82% were raised under TL7 or higher (no firearms), with almost 2/3 raised under TL 9 (no weapons outside one's home, and Big Brother is watching you).

All of which means the typical Imperial military recruit (and likely many a colonist settling the smaller worlds) is someone from a crowded, despotic, high-law world who saw a life of danger on strange worlds under Imperial military discipline as preferable to whatever future awaited him at home. This is more likely to be some itchy-footed wretch with no prospects and little to hold him to his homeworld, or possibly with trouble in his future, rather than someone of more comfortable circumstances and prospects, especially when you're talking enlisted-level.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
Safety valve theory applies where most Imperial recruits are involved. Statistically, based on the world generation system, the "typical" Imperial was raised on a pop 9-A world ruled by a dictator, oligarchy, or impersonal bureaucracy. 82% were raised under TL7 or higher (no firearms), with almost 2/3 raised under TL 9 (no weapons outside one's home, and Big Brother is watching you).

All of which means the typical Imperial military recruit (and likely many a colonist settling the smaller worlds) is someone from a crowded, despotic, high-law world who saw a life of danger on strange worlds under Imperial military discipline as preferable to whatever future awaited him at home. This is more likely to be some itchy-footed wretch with no prospects and little to hold him to his homeworld, or possibly with trouble in his future, rather than someone of more comfortable circumstances and prospects, especially when you're talking enlisted-level.
All of this may be true, but it probably isn't. You're overlooking the very likely possibility of selection bias. Imperial recruits may come from atypical sections of the high-population worlds or mainly from worlds with cultures that thrives on pop 7 and pop 8 worlds, or some other combination of conditions that skew the averages one way or another.

Hans
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
82% were raised under TL7 or higher (no firearms), with almost 2/3 raised under TL 9 (no weapons outside one's home, and Big Brother is watching you).
I think you mean Law Level (LL).

Quote:
This is more likely to be some itchy-footed wretch with no prospects and little to hold him to his homeworld, or possibly with trouble in his future, rather than someone of more comfortable circumstances and prospects, especially when you're talking enlisted-level.
In other words, a Traveller.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGamer View Post
I'm wondering if any ships heading to Australia with criminals ever got taken over by the criminals, lost and ended up elsewhere and such. My Google foo did not come up with anything.
While that is the included in the plot of the Sherlock Holmes story, "The Adventure of the Gloria Scott", no ship traveling to Australia was ever taken over. You have to remember that in many cases, the convict's family traveled with him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:13 AM

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

While checking something else in Adventure 4, the Leviathan, I came across the planet Gorgon in the Egryn Subsector, which is adjacent to District 268 and the Pax Rulin subsectors.

Gorgon is an exile planet for the Belgardian Sojourn, and is a quite unpleasant place, with a dense, tainted atmosphere and pretty much no bodies of water. The population is in the hundreds.

Given the low population level, and corresponding low number of guards, that would actually make an interesting planet to pay a recruiting stop at for mercenary units of moderate Tech Level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Darkwing Citizen

Carlobrand, I have to disagree. It's not about spending money to train them. It's about a place to put all the foulups you already trained. Maybe they're just being given a lot of hard work along with cake duty (something they can't mess up easily, anyway) as a way of not letting them get away with whatever they did - negligent discharge isn't sending you home, it's sending you to a punitive unit. Or maybe they're getting prepared to take on a major mission ala Dirty Dozen as a chance to vacate their convictions. But I see penal units as a place for people already in the service, not a way to punish civil criminals.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:00 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Right, Darkwing - two different concepts with the same name. Yours is more viable in most societies with which we are familiar. The other might work in *some* cases.

Isn't there a movie (sci-fi-ish) where the prisoners are all released and given weapons because they are the last hope for ... whatever is being overrun? It's a vague memory.
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:51 PM

Gallery : 29
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
Carlobrand, I have to disagree. It's not about spending money to train them. It's about a place to put all the foulups you already trained. Maybe they're just being given a lot of hard work along with cake duty (something they can't mess up easily, anyway) as a way of not letting them get away with whatever they did - negligent discharge isn't sending you home, it's sending you to a punitive unit. Or maybe they're getting prepared to take on a major mission ala Dirty Dozen as a chance to vacate their convictions. But I see penal units as a place for people already in the service, not a way to punish civil criminals.
Why spend the money on training a bunch of proven losers to begin with? Historically, penal battalions are a last resort not a first. It's cheaper and alot less dangerous just tossing them in prison. Military screw ups are pretty much the same as civilian screw ups. They both cannot follow the rules and play nice with others... particularly other people they are supposed to be playing nice with....
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
particularly other people they are supposed to be playing nice with....
With the caveat that, in wartime, there are a group of folks with whom you are *not* supposed to play nice. If you can direct the energies of these sorts of folk at them, you might have something useful.