Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old May 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Vargas Citizen
A word on unpublished DGP material: If it was never published, it doesn't exist. One of the financial reasons DGP went under was because it had to pay termination costs to writers of products it couldn't afford to produce. Also, a number of products were also started only to be junked once they got into the hands of DGP because the writers and publisher were not on the same, ahem, sheet.

Sorry, there is no hoarde of never published manuscripts out there just waiting to be released.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Vargas Citizen
A word on unpublished DGP material: If it was never published, it doesn't exist. One of the financial reasons DGP went under was because it had to pay termination costs to writers of products it couldn't afford to produce. Also, a number of products were also started only to be junked once they got into the hands of DGP because the writers and publisher were not on the same, ahem, sheet.

Sorry, there is no hoarde of never published manuscripts out there just waiting to be released.
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

boycey42 Citizen
I ask again then- why the adverts for the'forthcoming' Omnesium Quest in one of the Megatraveller Jourals?Something must have been commited to paper for them to start plugging it surely?

boycey42 Citizen
I ask again then- why the adverts for the'forthcoming' Omnesium Quest in one of the Megatraveller Jourals?Something must have been commited to paper for them to start plugging it surely?

boycey42 Citizen
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM

clementk Citizen
No. Palladium Books, one of the top 5 RPG companies, seems to routinely list some books almost as soon as somebody comes up with the idea. DGP was far from PB's size. I think the software term is "vaporware" * .

"Something" may be nothing more than an idea, a concept cover sketch or even finished artwork, an outline...

Casey

* Like Palladium Books having Mechanoid Space or Modern Recon (among others) for preorder for a couple of years to a decade or more. Or LUG's adverts for the Mirror, Mirror, Movie Era, and Klingon books, Chaosium's Pulp Cthulhu, etc. .

clementk Citizen
No. Palladium Books, one of the top 5 RPG companies, seems to routinely list some books almost as soon as somebody comes up with the idea. DGP was far from PB's size. I think the software term is "vaporware" * .

"Something" may be nothing more than an idea, a concept cover sketch or even finished artwork, an outline...

Casey

* Like Palladium Books having Mechanoid Space or Modern Recon (among others) for preorder for a couple of years to a decade or more. Or LUG's adverts for the Mirror, Mirror, Movie Era, and Klingon books, Chaosium's Pulp Cthulhu, etc. .

clementk Citizen

Casey

Old May 7th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Vargas Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by boycey42:
In short, no.

DGP tried to keep to what amounted to a production schedule, they knew that a manuscript was due in by date X for publication by date Y. They advertised that Onessium Quest will come out on date Y. However, when the manuscript came in, they found it wasn't what they wanted/expected and they get into a lot of back and forth with the author and time drags on. The manuscript problems are never resolved to DGP's satisfaction and so the book is never published.

In my experience, it's not uncommon for RPG companies miss deadlines.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Vargas Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by boycey42:
In short, no.

DGP tried to keep to what amounted to a production schedule, they knew that a manuscript was due in by date X for publication by date Y. They advertised that Onessium Quest will come out on date Y. However, when the manuscript came in, they found it wasn't what they wanted/expected and they get into a lot of back and forth with the author and time drags on. The manuscript problems are never resolved to DGP's satisfaction and so the book is never published.

In my experience, it's not uncommon for RPG companies miss deadlines.