Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old October 25th, 2020, 03:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

More in terms as to how much we would have to provide resources.

Soil, space, light and water.
Old October 25th, 2020, 09:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

vegas Citizen

Getting back to the OP... I decided to brush off some old canon deckplans and see what could be gleaned from them. First I studied at the 100 dt Type S.

By the RAW, it is a simple design with only a few elements:
40 dt fuel
20 dt bridge
16 dt staterooms
15 dt drives (AAA)
4 dt air raft
3 dt cargo
1 dt computer
1 dt hard point
100 dt total

Now, I wanted to look at the 2 canon deck plans, Snapshot and S7, and see if they helped differentiate between bridge and stateroom areas. To that end, here is a listing of identified areas in those two deckplans excluding fuel, drives, air raft, cargo, computer, and hardpoint - in other words, everything left that has to be part of bridge and staterooms. I find:
featureSS dtS7 dt
bridge proper32
avionics81
staterooms1512
commons1410
access & corridors4.59.5
multi-use6.5
unspecified1
storage10.5
sensors3
ship's locker2
air locks2
drive room4.5
Total5355.5

Of note is that both deck plans have A LOT more area drawn than the 36 dt allocated to staterooms and bridge. The extra dtons make it hard to draw many firm conclusions about which features belong to which category because no allocation will tie out to 20 or 16 dt target volumes. Nevertheless, here are a few claims we can make

1) it is clear in both plans that the bridge area must include some storage or access area, as the "obvious" bridge components (avionics plus either sensors in S7 or drive room in SS) don't sum to 20 dt.

2) Visually, there is an implication on the SS deck plan that the ship's locker is part of bridge volume - it is attached to the bridge. This is less compelling in the S7 plan visually, but the math of the volumes that need to be allocated still argues for it.

3) What most every poster here already asserted, it is clear from the deckplans that the "bridge proper" is just a small fraction of the bridge 20 dt volume.

Full disclosure, not on my list but drawn on the S7 deck plan is some landing gear. It is not accessible area, so it isn't part of the grid, but eyeballing it they are clearly 2x <2dt.

I'll try to analyze another deck plan later.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, there was a tidbit in S7 that I had long forgotten. I quote: "The major fault of the type S scoutlcourier is its air system. Although of respectable quality for life support, it begins to smell after about three weeks of use... The problem can be corrected by flushing the air system, which operation costs Cr1,000 for parts and components. Temporary respite may be obtained (for about a week) by replacing the system's air filters (at Cr200). Both these processes also require a plentiful supply of breathable air. Instead, the entire air system may be replaced with a better model; it costs Cr70,000 and requires sacrificing one ton of cargo space."

Conclusion: the atmosphere component of life support takes 1 dt and costs Cr70K. It is possible this is a fixed component of the bridge, or it is 0.25 dt per stateroom and Cr17,555 of the per stateroom cost.

EDIT AGAIN: I should point out that the S7 deck plan does not have a computer room, so somewhere in the list above the computer must also find a home.

Last edited by vegas; October 26th, 2020 at 11:41 AM..
Old October 26th, 2020, 05:03 AM

Straybow Citizen

Gotta love those "canon" deck plans...
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old October 26th, 2020, 12:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
Getting back to the OP... I decided to brush off some old canon deckplans and see what could be gleaned from them.

"O, that way madness lies"
Old October 26th, 2020, 09:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

vegas Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
"O, that way madness lies"
Yeah, you are right. None of the other deck plans are adequately labeled or consistent enough to attempt a detailed analysis. Nevertheless, this entire exercise has lead me to the following conclusions:

The bridge proper should be small, in the ~2 dt range.

I am now comfortable that ship's lockers are part of the bridge and they should frequently be attached to the bridge proper.

While drive rooms are rare, in these plans, I think adding one makes sense and helps absorb some of the required bridge volume. I'd probably throw in an electronics/mechanical work bench too. All essential for the proper operation of the ship.

Also AD made me think harder about some small craft house rules so they are more consistent with ships. To wit:

Small craft with only couches have short-range passive detection only; the bridge adds ship-level performance scanners & sensors. Small craft are not fitted with internal gravity nor have inertial compensation. (hat tip AD!).

Only small craft with bridges may operate for more than 24 hours (12 hours combat) as the bridge equipment inlcudes more extensive life support. Nevertheless, as small craft are intended for short-duration missions, even with a bridge, air quality becomes poor in 1-3 weeks and intolerable in 3-6 (thanks CT:S7 Type S!)
Old October 27th, 2020, 04:23 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Fascinating viewpoint. In 40+ years I've never played in a Trav game where the ships were at 4 degrees Kelvin and interesting things happened all the time despite that "deficiency".

Your loss.