Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old October 17th, 2020, 12:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Didn't Rian Johnson make a movie about that, with the guy from Third Rock From The Sun, and the other one from Fifth Element?
Old October 17th, 2020, 01:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Didn't Rian Johnson make a movie about that, with the guy from Third Rock From The Sun, and the other one from Fifth Element?
I don't know, I was thinking about adding some native humans to Venus, in addition the the lizardfolk. The Ancients messed with the planet and there was some intelligent life in the form of humans on the third rock from the Sun, some of those were transported to Venus, others went to Mars, and the Ancients reached back in time and brought forth some dinosaurs, one interesting effect of the nanovirus is the birth ratio of women to men has been altered, there are 4 native born women for every single man born on the planet, so there are a bunch of so called Amazon tribeswomen running around on the planet in addition to the lizardfolk. The women average around 6 feet tall and have pale skin and white or pale blonde hair, as the cloud layer above tends to block much of the ultraviolet rays from reaching the surface, the men tend to be shorter on average or about 5 feet 8 inches.

I was thinking further on Venus, I want to bring the environment back similar to that described in the 1889 book, technically the atmosphere would be classified as 9 in Traveller terms, it is Dense, tainted, though humans and other Earth animals like horses and dogs can breath the atmosphere without technological assistance the atmosphere has a deleterious effect on technology, oxydizable metals corrode, living things are not affected, in fact the atmosphere was seeded with a nano bacteria which causes water droplets to form a perpetual cloud cover over the entire planet, and it also destroys technology except for stone, treated wood, any technological items except those kept in a cool and dry environment will be destroyed in 24 hours, this includes lasers, vac suits, you name it, so there is much need for low tech skills in this environment. Guns are not reliable, in 24 hours the nanobacteria destroys circuit, batteries corrode and even certain types of plastic will get eaten.

A lot of manumitted exslaves end up on Venus, plantations here require a lot of manual labor and beasts of burden. The local starport is on the Summit of Mount Maxwell, this mountain juts above most of the cloud layer where all the luddite nanobacteria lives, technology can be kept long term up there. Certain types of ceramics work very well below the cloud layer, so there are a lot of hardened ceramic blades, axes and shovels that are as hard as steel but without the corrosion problem, these are highly valued by the lizardfolk that live in the low lands and such items are used as trade goods to obtain labor and information from the lizardfolk and amazon tribes.

Earth men have a tendency to "disappear" in those areas inhabited by the amazon tribes, technology breaks down and Amazon's often rapid settlements by colonists and kidnap the men, typically if the men are held by amazons for over a month, they tend to be brainwashed by their captors and go native, and often children are born to those tribeswomen that have darker skin than normal, particularly when it was a black male exslave that was kidnapped.

Last edited by Werner; October 17th, 2020 at 01:52 PM..