Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old June 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
I notice on Drivethrurpg that there are a lot of old FGU Space Opera spacecraft and sector atlas supplements going for cheap ($3.50 each) - are these any good? Can they be ported to Traveller easily?

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/...p?cPath=70_100

The Atlas concept sounds quite interesting there - they released numbered atlases that were from the "official" background, but non-numbered ones were "unofficial". Could that sort of concept be adapted by QLI? That'd certainly open up T20 as a generic scifi system...
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Wayne Citizen
I found the spacecraft book useful for deck plans, but as thrash has pointed out "the starship rules in Space Opera are very different from Traveller, in flavor and detail."

I have CT stats for the three spacecraft books somewhere in my hoard of trav notes.
Four file folder boxes in the back of my store room under the wife only knows how much other stuff. She is the one who 'organized' the storage room.

Never saw any of the atlases and never bought the core rules. Looked overly detailed and cumbersome as compared to Classic Traveller.
Wolfman<br /><br />“Give a person a relativistic rock, and they will shatter a planet today.<br />Teach them to do the math themselves, and they will shatter planets for the rest of their life.”<br />- Ad Astra Games
Old June 10th, 2004, 01:32 AM

dancha Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman:
I have CT stats for the three spacecraft books somewhere in my hoard of trav notes.
I am _very_ interested in your CT stats, if you ever locate them.

I briefly got into Space Opera during high school (got into Traveller in middle school), played a few brief games, and eventually drowned under the extremely dense rules... Still have many fond feelings towards Space Opera...
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
This may sound like heresy, but during the early eighties I ran a game of Space Opera/BRP.
How is that heresy you may ask?

I based it on the adventures of Earl Dumarest

I still used CT for world design and ship combat (I agree with thrash); but prior to MT introducing me to the DGP task system (I never saw a copy of Traveller's Digest in the North East of England) I had grown tired of the chaotic CT skill system.

Since MT, however, I've never run a Space Opera based game

From what I remember of the Space Opera sector books, the early ones were a setting like a cross between Starship Troopers and Star Trek, with a bit of E.E.Smith's Lensmen thrown in for good measure.
The later ones were based in a far off alien empire (Klingon like IIRC) with a human slave race (it was explained how they got there, but I can't remember).
A couple of the adventure books weren't bad AFAICR.
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:35 AM

Pagan priest Citizen
One good point about the Space Opera atlas, it was bsed on a 3-D universe. One bad thing about it (from a Traveller PoV) was that the distances were somewhat realistic for being out here on the Rim: Some stars might be quite a few parsecs from anywhere else, well beyond even J6 travel.

Regime change begins at home!

Mediocraty's a hairball coughed up on the Persian carpet of creation.
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit Jeff M. Hopper's Blog
Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+Jeff M. Hopper Citizen+
Actually, I think that some of the Space Opera atlases were worth the money just for the Jeff Dee artwork alone.
TAS Member Corr 0213 Erlu B7C0626-9
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:06 AM

TKalbfus Citizen
So does everybody sing at your gaming table?
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:21 AM

clementk Citizen
Wink

groan point [img]graemlins/file_28.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

just for that you get to listen to Narn Opera as sung by Drunk Drazi.

Or is that Aslan Opera sung by Vargr? It's hard to tell. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

on-topic: Is the core Space Opera book needed to understand say a ship, sector, or adventure book or are the stats fairly generic enough?

Casey
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Wayne Citizen
I never bought the core rules for Space Opera, but did use some of there adventures (ploping in CT info as needed) and as posted above made CT states for the ships in the spacecraft books.
I may used DTRPG to get the rules.
Wolfman<br /><br />“Give a person a relativistic rock, and they will shatter a planet today.<br />Teach them to do the math themselves, and they will shatter planets for the rest of their life.”<br />- Ad Astra Games
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Wayne Citizen
I've done the same thing with some of FASA Star Trek RPG stuff.

All this is in four file folder boxes in the back of my storeroom under other stuff.

May take about a week to find the boxes, but RealLife(tm) will not give me a chance to even look any time soon.