Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Other the main rulebook and associated articles in Challenge was anything else ever produced for this fantastic Hard SFRPG?

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Gallery : 0
Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++Supplement Four Citizen++
It is a good game, isn't it...I always avoided it "back in the day". I never gave it much of a chance.

I was definitely judging a book by its cover. From browsing it, HC is a good game.

-S4
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM

kaladorn Citizen
Good background... I wasn't so impressed with the rules as I recall. I didn't even know Challenge had any articles for it - now I'll have to locate them. As an alternate setting for space gaming, it was pretty neat - lots of small polities, exploration, intrigue, all that good stuff. I just had the rulebook in my hand last night while rooting through other stuff...
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Well, it was rip of 2300AD (Near Space) & Traveller at the same time without too many fancy handwaves because it wanted to stay grounded in realism**. The artist/game designer was also influenced by the emergence of cyberpunk and thought hard how to integrate into a Hard SF background, as a result he was not also one to shy away from nudity or mature themes. For me, it is part of the countless games that you wish would see more of in the market. Little engines that hopefully influence the bigger engines and drive the hobby forward.

**This is not to say some of predictions were terribly naive but they reflect a home grown feel/desire. i.e. Soviet Manned Lunar Base by 2000 & Corporations taking an interest in Near Earth orbit and actually building something larger than a basketball.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Sounds like SJG's Transhuman Space is similar (without the 'wasteland Earth' anyway).
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM

mbrinkhues Citizen
After a short look through Challenge I came up with three articels:

+ One dealing with mercs on shore leave
+ One dealing with a shuttle taking hostage
+ One dealing with an old base that is still alive

Aside from that it seems only the base rulesbook.

@Malefant:

Rather different feeling to it tech-wise. No Nanotech, no Bodyshells, No Infomorphs. Gen-tech was used as a weapon in a war and is looked at with care and restrained. Tech is more 20th century level mostly.

Cyberpunks Deep Space or Clark/Preuss "Venus Prime" is more to it in feel and style.

Btw: If we drop the last book (That Preuss wrote on his own IIRC) what about Venus Prime as an RPG background?
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Roger Calver

Gallery :
Well you can get it from Amazon US and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-COLONIES-.../dp/B000E1DDKY
Old January 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Malenfant:
Sounds like SJG's Transhuman Space is similar (without the 'wasteland Earth' anyway).
Transhuman Space, well, dealt with Transhumanism whereas the objective of High Colonies was create viable Hard SF Gibson-like future (or parts of Cyberpunk 2020 - most notably, Deep Space) where Mankind remains scattered throughout the Solar System and the long struggle that might eventually take us to the Stars. But, in the meantime, we have to live on L5 stations, lunar stations, extraplanetary stations without so much as a single wave of a hand. True, there is an Alien Race there but I would rather ignore that, it was just for all the geeks who couldn't understand how SF could exist without aliens.

So, if anyone, is looking for CT game with an edge or cyberpunk wedge...check out High Colonies.

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Malenfant

Gallery :
There's still a lot you can borrow from TS though. TS has a lot of genetic engineering tech that sounds like it could fit into High Colonies. But keep in mind that the gibson-like stuff (Near Orbit, Deep Space, etc) did basically evolve into the transhuman stuff over time anyway (heck, IIRC Gibson himself had some nanotech stuff in books like Idoru).

The space stuff in TS could translate very well though, there's lots of Lagrange colonies and stations on the other planets and moons in the solar system. Also DP9's Jovian Chronicles would be another one to look at for that sort of thing.
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Mal, ever since you told me about Jovian Chronicles, I have been wanting to have a look. I should imagine JC is the missing link between TS & HC that I am after. But, who knows maybe the new version of Cyberpunk might be a stepping stone between them.