Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old December 21st, 2001, 05:54 AM
simontmn simontmn is offline
Citizen: SOC-9
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 58
Gallery : 0
simontmn Citizen
Post

So you reckon the damage _value_ never increases, even from crits & head hits? Well, fair enough. My approach has worked fine for me.

Re chest hits - as it's only a 1 in 10 chance - 2/3 of torso hits are 'abdomen', I assume this represents hits to the area sheathing the heart, lungs & other vital organs. The x2 damage to PCs from chest hits isn't a big deal, most PCs have huge chest hp totals in TNE anyway. For NPCs, it's ok if they're killed by chest hits (ca 50% chance from a net 3d6 wpn on my rules) - it only happens if the attack gets through their armour, anyway, since blunt trauma damage cannot cause instant death.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
There are better ways, IMO, than the TNE method. Like CORPS, where you can take Toughness, or EABA (soon to be released) with "Larger than Life" as an advantage. It was not a "travellerism", but a T2Kism, and one my players and I didn't like. (Nor did we like that A PC survived a bite from a 40Ton Flying Puncer that had just successfully bitten the Air-Raft in half. Why, Hit locations. One arm, both legs gone. The air raft has one damage point pool.)

I have no objection at all to you not liking it. I have the Classic Traveller rules, and frankly for most purposes they're a much better system - for a Star Trek type game, say. Even for a moderately realistic military-sf setting (Space: Above & Beyond, say) TNE PCs are overpowered.
All I'm saying is that TNE works well for my space opera game, the hp rules give the 'larger than life' feel to the PCs. Also I tweaked Initiative slightly - for this game all military-career PCs get Initiative 4, or 5 with the +1 Spec Ops bonus.

TNE was the most mechanically different traveller edition before GT. NOTHING about it was compatible outside the UPP system. And even there, you had to regress worlds. And it was a poor attempt to maintain continuity while completely eliminating the thing which most said traveller to me: the Third Imperium, and the rest of the award winning setting.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree about the setting, the Imperium was/is great and I was annoyed it didn't exist in the Traveller edition I purchased! But I've found that I can use lots of it in a homebrew 'reclaim the galaxy' campaign, just by changing the emphasis to get a more freewheeling, space-operatic environment.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old December 22nd, 2001, 05:08 AM
aramis's Avatar
aramis aramis is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Anchorage, AK, USofA
Posts: 29,244
Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simontmn:
So you reckon the damage _value_ never increases, even from crits & head hits? Well, fair enough. My approach has worked fine for me.

Re chest hits - as it's only a 1 in 10 chance - 2/3 of torso hits are 'abdomen', I assume this represents hits to the area sheathing the heart, lungs & other vital organs. The x2 damage to PCs from chest hits isn't a big deal, most PCs have huge chest hp totals in TNE anyway. For NPCs, it's ok if they're killed by chest hits (ca 50% chance from a net 3d6 wpn on my rules) - it only happens if the attack gets through their armour, anyway, since blunt trauma damage cannot cause instant death.

I agree about the setting, the Imperium was/is great and I was annoyed it didn't exist in the Traveller edition I purchased! But I've found that I can use lots of it in a homebrew 'reclaim the galaxy' campaign, just by changing the emphasis to get a more freewheeling, space-operatic environment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plain and simple, it is a mater of storytelling style. TNE got in my way, all the time, and didn't provide useful exptrapolations as written, took too much time to use, and didn't allow me nor my players verisimilitude.

MT was clear, concise, and (once errata applied) fairly good, and easy to tweak to "Heroic" by one simple change: att/3 rather than att/5. And, unlike TNE, it had the advantage of upscaled combat rules... I've run entire campaigns of combat under the MT-RC LSC rules, and it was quick, simple, and elegant, and still "Rule-compatible" with personal combat. Oh, and since the USP's were HG-compatible, you could (by just changing fuel load) use most any HG design as is.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old December 22nd, 2001, 05:34 AM
simontmn simontmn is offline
Citizen: SOC-9
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 58
Gallery : 0
simontmn Citizen
Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aramis:
Plain and simple, it is a mater of storytelling style. TNE got in my way, all the time, and didn't provide useful exptrapolations as written, took too much time to use, and didn't allow me nor my players verisimilitude.

MT was clear, concise, and (once errata applied) fairly good, and easy to tweak to "Heroic" by one simple change: att/3 rather than att/5. And, unlike TNE, it had the advantage of upscaled combat rules... I've run entire campaigns of combat under the MT-RC LSC rules, and it was quick, simple, and elegant, and still "Rule-compatible" with personal combat. Oh, and since the USP's were HG-compatible, you could (by just changing fuel load) use most any HG design as is.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the MT rules - by the time I had the money to go looking for Traveller, TNE was what was available. The first campaign I ran, back in '94, the players weren't too keen on the setting at all, the only mechanics problem was that I couldn't (and still can't) get my head around the starship & vehicle combat rules. Since my current campaign has a homebrew setting in my own highly developed timeline, and I've finally developed starship combat rules I'm happy with, the basic Traveller rules for systems & tech, and TNE rules for (military) PCs, seems to work well.

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old December 23rd, 2001, 08:51 AM
Elliot Elliot is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,062
Gallery : 0
Elliot Citizen
Post

Neither hard sci-fi nor opera, more sit-com in a far trader.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old December 24th, 2001, 12:35 PM
kafka47's Avatar
kafka47 kafka47 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: For the most part : Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,379
Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elliot:
Neither hard sci-fi nor opera, more sit-com in a far trader.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love Brit Coms, your campaign must be really fun. Tell us more.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old December 27th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Elliot Elliot is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 1,062
Gallery : 0
Elliot Citizen
Post

Well if your interested. . .

In that campaign one character was a famous movie star (with psionics) doing research for a holofilm on board a freetrader/corsair. He had been type-cast as a bad guy (having played the Zhodani stooge all his life) and had taken method acting too far!

The main 'gags' were that the pirate captain was an animal lover (we re-ran modified Research Station Gamma and Safari Ship); that the ex-marine commando second in command kept having parts of his body blown off (mainly by 'friendly fire') and had them replaced according to the bionics rules in the Traveller's Digest (the 'Earth' edition) and that the barbarian cabin boy was a mute with telepathy straight out of AD&D (try role-playing that!).

All in all good silly fun and it ran for four years, hoorah!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.