Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old March 3rd, 2019, 07:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow On Limited Intrinsic Personalities (LIPs) and Detached Scout Ships.

Okay, I think I need to clarify a bit before I hit the rack.

A LIP is not an Agent Interface (that's more a lap or wrist top OS) but more of an immature IP (or full GAI). Think of it less as a Program and more like a Junior Scout (how it is classed on the Personnel paperwork), like a human teenager on the way to full adulthood. It can act on its own, has its own desires and such and legally is classed as Subject Species. It is "earning and learning" as they say in the IP circles, it's under IXSS contract and is paid by the IXSS while it gains life and career experience before deciding if it wants to remain a ship or move to a new body such as a humanoid form when it reaches maturity and majority thus being upgraded to a full Citizen IP (about a Term for the Clever).

Now you are welcome to bring Chives (and how do you pronounce that?) along and ask the Clever's LIP (who has yet to be named) to install it for you but the Main Shio's Computer is bound to the ship. Removing it and moving it around is akin to brain transplant surgery and as equally as complicated so they try not to do that until it reaches IP status.

Also the Clever is not your old ship because generally Rangers (and Pathfinders) don't get ships, they ride ships. Explorers and Couriers are the Scouts most likely to be assigned to crew ships. So this would be your first ship command. Or Dabi's if he shows...

Hmmm, who gets precedence: Ranger or Pathfinder? Or most senior (which would be Frank)? Comments welcomed and not just from Players.

Just thought you all should know, you're getting a new (to all of you) ship.

Oh and in case you think I'm being a dick, you should know that your character is already beyond the pale since Ranger and Pathfinder are limited to a 1 Term assignment.

Questions, comments, peanut gallery or players?
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old March 3rd, 2019, 10:12 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
Now you are welcome to bring Chives (and how do you pronounce that?)
Umm, like chives. Little chopped up green onion-y bits often mixed with sour cream to put on baked potatos and such. "Ch" like Chuck or Charles or champion or... generally how ch is pronounced at the beginning of words in English, not in Romance languages or German. Not a hard ch like a K. The "i" in the middle is long, like in like. The "v" is again an English v, like valley. The "e" is silent. You know, chives.

The name comes from Sir Dominic Flandry's manservant (and friend, although generally unacknowledged as such until they are facing death together), who was not a computer but of an alien species green and reptilian in appearance (but most certainly NOT a Merseian!).

Quote:
along and ask the Clever's LIP (who has yet to be named) to install it for you but the Main Shio's Computer is bound to the ship. Removing it and moving it around is akin to brain transplant surgery and as equally as complicated so they try not to do that until it reaches IP status.
Chives is not a piece of hardware, more like this LIP you mention, a virtual personality. I imagine that upon being "installed" into a new-to-him ship, he feels his way around the hardware, stretching his senses and getting the fit the way we would with a new coat. Or a new car. "Yes, Frank, I like this one. Nice sensor upgrades, and a good targetting system to match."

I expect they would have taken care of that upon issuance of the "Clever" to Frank back at the Scout Base in Cessing Belts where Frank mustered out and took command of the ship. As far as "asking", you made a distinction between LIPs and IPs, and this LIP does know that Frank is in command of the ship, right? [What is it's name, anyway?]

Quote:
Also the Clever is not your old ship
I know that. Would definitely have a different name. I thought we were going with the notion that Frank was issued this one as his new detached duty vessel on Mustering Out. (You know, because he rolled that benefit?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger
The ship he had been assigned as a detached duty vessel had a strange name, "Whatever's Clever," which seemed to invite renaming. Fortunately, although it wasn't the ship he had used in The Service, it was at least a Ranger-equipped ship, with certain extras including a programmable transponder. As soon as he had a mission or had decided where to go from here, it would be easy to change.
Quote:
because generally Rangers (and Pathfinders) don't get ships, they ride ships. Explorers and Couriers are the Scouts most likely to be assigned to crew ships.
Well, timeline-wise, Frank was issued a detached duty Type S on mustering out from Field Scouts (Exploration Branch, whatever) to become a Ranger, because that is the way you told me to do it in chargen five years ago. I assumed that he would frequently use that as transport during his Ranger missions, as Rangers don't often work in large groups. When undercover or when otherwise inappropriate, he would have left it in Long Term Parking at a convenient starport.

Quote:
So this would be your first ship command. Or Dabi's if he shows...
BZZZT!!! First ship command?!? Frank spent years as an explorer in a Type-S. As for Dabi, hey, nice guy, but he spent one term as a Scout before becoming a Pathfinder. No ship skills except for Engineer-0.

Quote:
Oh and in case you think I'm being a dick, you should know that your character is already beyond the pale since Ranger and Pathfinder are limited to a 1 Term assignment.
Eh, it's part of your charm. Wouldn't recognize you without some occasional borderline dickery, doc. But Frank was rolled up (re-rolled in posts to demonstrate the online dice-roller, which was new at the time) according to your instructions back then, and I asked you if I could use him now, and you said Yes. I probably wouldn't be playing in this game right now if you'd said No, wouldn't have taken the brain-strain to re-learn the chargen to make a new guy (you know that brain-stuff is an issue for me now). So you approved him, and enough with that "beyond the Pale" crapola.

=====================

[Re: Chives: Actually amazed that you are not so familiar with Poul Anderson's Sir Dominic Flandry. You should definitely check out his stories - be advised of usual expected variance in quality and focus over the author's career, as the Flandry stories were written from the 1950s to the 1990s, I think. And I also think that you'd like Flandry, kind of an interstellar James Bond devoted to defending the Terran Empire against its enemies both foreign and domestic, but especially the Merseians and their puppets (think Cold War, sometimes heating up, in politics). I've always kind of envisioned Magnus von Thornwood (but not Lord Craig ) as sort of a Flandry-type guy. ]

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 3rd, 2019, 10:50 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
SpaceBadger wrote:
Oh, yeah, and what about all of the shock sticks, shock-knucks, etc available in SF literature (if not in RL; I really don't know) as equivalents to the current misnamed "stun-gun" that isn't a gun at all but looks a bit like an electric shaver that could give you a Big Surprise (ObRef Paul Reiser/Buchman FTW)? Surely those are all stunners, even if they are also handy in melee combat?

Magnus wrote:
WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE PROHIBITED. CONSIDERED PROVOKING.
And yet Knives, Blades, and Clubs are all permitted at LL6. As are stunners. But when you combine a stunner with a club, it's prohibited? Hmm.

GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 4th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow About those melee weapons...

Quote:
And yet Knives, Blades, and Clubs are all permitted at LL6. As are stunners. But when you combine a stunner with a club, it's prohibited? Hmm.

Gonna have to revist the Law Level for Bohen. Melee weapons also a no-no. Think large town as far as what's gonna raise eyebrows. In civilized space that is. This isn't the Wild West of ancient Terra and even then the whole OK Corral shootout was in fact over people wearing weapons in town. So maybe that would be a good comparison, in the wilds weapons are fine, but in town put them up.

Better?

EDIT: I think I need to expand on what Law Levels mean in actuality and post my Starports and Bases section too. Dangit.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 4th, 2019, 12:04 PM

Exclamation Okay...

I have PMed our missing crewmate to see if they're coming or not and to let me know or join up since things are starting.

So, if no response in a day it's maybe grey mist time. Either way I'll try and get things properly rolling. Might post in the Lone Star to see if we can get a solid third/fourth. Maybe or it's you two on your own in your trusty Type-S.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 4th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

There you go! Chew on that!

I had no idea how to start, how to go, saw a low social standing anyway, and jumped in with both feet... wearing cleats!
Old March 5th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default NOT at taxi-stand!

Dunno how Frank and Julius are managing to have this conversation, as 77topaz keeps writing that Julius is at the taxi-stand, and I have been adamant that, No, Frank is NOT near any taxi-stand, as I stated clearly in my very first IC post that he had things he needed to do INSIDE THE STARPORT before he could cross the extrality line into local law (LL6) to look for a ride. Frank just ain't out there yet, no way, no how.

He would also like to re-establish contact w/ his traveling companion, Dabi, before leaving the starport.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 5th, 2019, 03:23 AM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Dunno how Frank and Julius are managing to have this conversation, as 77topaz keeps writing that Julius is at the taxi-stand, and I have been adamant that, No, Frank is NOT near any taxi-stand, as I stated clearly in my very first IC post that he had things he needed to do INSIDE THE STARPORT before he could cross the extrality line into local law (LL6) to look for a ride. Frank just ain't out there yet, no way, no how.

He would also like to re-establish contact w/ his traveling companion, Dabi, before leaving the starport.
Well, at some point he's going to be done with the list of things inside the starport and go to the taxi-stand, isn't he? The taxi-stand is the first logical place where Frank and Julius would meet each other, since that's the sort of bottleneck for heading to the Banner's Keep. Them talking while waiting at the taxi-stand bottleneck seems more probable than both of them seeing each other while walking to different places in the starport and then taking the time to recognise and pause to greet each other while still both needing to do different things. And you haven't really given me a place other than the taxi-stand to work with, either.

For what it's worth, though, I've removed the one sentence referencing the taxi-stand from my latest IC post and replaced it with something more generically referring to the terminal.

EDIT: I've expanded the post to make the setting less generic.

Last edited by 77topaz; March 5th, 2019 at 05:58 AM..
Old March 6th, 2019, 01:36 AM

Arrow Hey peeps.

Alright now kids, settle down and play nice.

Hey all, sorry I didn't get anything done but one of my meatspace friends showed up to hang out and stuff and brought his puppy too. After hours of puppy patrol I'm wiped. But I will be back in form tomorrow.

As for Frank being in or out of the terminal I wasn't planning on his getting a weapon as some sort of RP thing and more the player tells me what they want and we see if it's cool. So, actually it would be cool if you all Met At A Taxi StandTM (The sci-fi version of met in tavern! ).

Tomorrow's plan is to get you in touch with the Banner....

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 6th, 2019, 03:00 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
Alright now kids, settle down and play nice.

Hey all, sorry I didn't get anything done but one of my meatspace friends showed up to hang out and stuff and brought his puppy too. After hours of puppy patrol I'm wiped. But I will be back in form tomorrow.

As for Frank being in or out of the terminal I wasn't planning on his getting a weapon as some sort of RP thing and more the player tells me what they want and we see if it's cool. So, actually it would be cool if you all Met At A Taxi StandTM (The sci-fi version of met in tavern! ).

Tomorrow's plan is to get you in touch with the Banner....
Dude! You couldn't have told us this a couple days ago?

So let me see if I've got this straight: instead of, y'know, role-playing stuff like wandering through a strange new downport seeing interesting sights and interacting with interesting people to get what we need done, done, maybe talking to people and making some skill rolls along the way, we're just supposed to tell the GM [OOC?] and you say yes or No? Yeah, sounds like loads of fun. Why do we need to go out to this ranch shindig? You could just give us a mission and tell us it's from the Banner, no need to meet this guy or talk with him or any of that yucky roleplay stuff. Heck, why not just tell us how we proceed with our mission and whether it succeeds or fails, I'll bet that would save a lot of time, too!

So we each write what our own PC is doing to get out to the taxi stand, except for Julius who is already there in suspended animation, frozen with his hand out toward someone who isn't there yet. Assuming we all arrive at the taxi stand, then what? We hilariously and entertainingly roleplay the hiring of a taxi and the long ride out to the Ranch? Yeah, that sounds much more fun than shopping in a downport terminal!!!

Ugh, I'll write Frank's stuff later, I've got important TV to watch. But note that Frank is NOT, under any circumstances, participating in a any action beyond the extrality line until he gets done the stuff he needed to do!

My Old Stuff (2013-14)