Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old February 25th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz View Post
I suppose Dabi and Frank might know each other through both being Scouts, though it'd be less likely for Julius as he was in a different Service.

Also, thanks for the invitation to the Astrogation Board.
That's what happens when you write up worlds! Land Grabs come with consequences, me lad.

EDIT: Don't feel that bad, it's how I got my mitts all over the Marches now. Not sure if there was a Rhylanor Police Services in canon before Cirque but Greg was like I need a Detective from Rhylanor so bang, whipped one up. I too give credit where due so you get in the book which is approaching the dreaded editing. We all have to start somewhere.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77topaz
[OOC: there being several people with Scout uniforms is so that Dabi could also be there; Frank has Fame 19, so I thought Julius would probably recognise him]
Well, crapdoodles! Forgot about Frank's Fame. And yet he still managed to do undercover work as a Ranger... I'd say that either his name is famous, but appearance kept secret/anonymous, or else he must be Really Good at Disguise!

GM?
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

Playing ex-Ranger Frank Masuda in Magnus's Permatic Imperium T5 PbP
Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old February 28th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Thumbs up Or D)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Well, crapdoodles! Forgot about Frank's Fame. And yet he still managed to do undercover work as a Ranger... I'd say that either his name is famous, but appearance kept secret/anonymous, or else he must be Really Good at Disguise!

GM?
all of the above.

They keep the faces censored. Also that Fame is mostly to Scouts, who may know him by face and of course some cops and robbers. His name is known though, so if you peep the name tape of the uniform (yes my Scouts have uniforms, mostly work ones, shipssuits and the like but there is a formal one too) you have a good chance to recognize the name.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 2nd, 2019, 02:33 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Ehm, bump? We discussed the OOC note about Frank's fame, but no-one's responded to my actual post in the IC thread yet.
Old March 2nd, 2019, 11:50 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Ah, the temptation, the balance of roleplaying vs. expediency in getting this party started...

Mags, obviously you specify what the Scout uniform is IYTU, but Frank ain't an official Scout anymore: mustered-out, detached duty, Not Getting Paid to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous IXSS administration. There is simply no way that with Frank's service experiences he is going to be comfortable wearing his old shipsuit (artistically battered but actually well-maintained, per PC description) with the nametape still attached. And I really doubt that he is even remotely rare in that respect, given the personality, umm, "issues" of most Field Scouts as opposed to Admin (yes, quite often opposed ).

So, [sigh] I'm convinced: smooth as it would have made the introduction, it's Just Not Frank.

So either Julius and Frank actually know each other from some point in their service lives (Good Ol' Permatic Imperial Downport!), or we need to think of a different reason for recognition, or Frank and Julius will just have to wait a few mins and meet in the course of looking for their prospective Patron's limo outside the extrality line (too bad Frank's fieldcraft is too deeply engrained for him to be flashing any visible sign of who he is looking to meet, unless that was part of his instruction for meeting the limo).

[Edit: moving over to IC to get Frank started toward that extrality line and (he hopes!) waiting limo.]
GM Maxim #2: If the Players have any kind of Ship, deckplans are mandatory. Otherwise, the Players will wander around with vague and contradictory notions of where things are, and Chaos results.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; March 2nd, 2019 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Moving over to IC
Old March 3rd, 2019, 12:41 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default What about our ship's IA/AI?

Was just checking the Old Campaign to verify the name of the downport on Permatic, since I referenced it in preceding post. Couldn't find any clear Word of GM on the subject; not saying it wasn't there, just that I didn't find it.

So Magnus, was reference to "Permatic Imperial Downport" acceptable? Or should it be something different?

[Note to Self: When searching for Frank's introduction into that Other Universe, it is on Page 11. Save a few minutes searching backward from the End.]

Also, while checking that out I noticed one other bit that I am Asking Very Hopefully whether we might import to This Present Universe:
Quote:
"Chives, lock her up," he called, and the Interface Assistant complied by forwarding the appropriate signals to the ship's security systems. Frank sometimes contemplated upgrading Chives to an actual Artificial Intelligence, which would be a true Machine Lifeform able to run the ship, anticipate needs without direct orders, act as a real assistant, and also provide real company on long solo trips. But the fact of the matter was that Frank liked living and travelling alone, which included having an Interface Assistant that was mere software, not truly alive. If his ship's computer was a Machine Lifeform, it would be owed all of the courtesies of any other shipmate, including conversation and attention when it wanted, not just when Frank wanted it. Frank preferred Chives, which never bothered him with unwanted conversation, and could still give him a challenging opponent for games when he was in the mood.
My (and therefore Frank's) preferences remain the same. Dunno whether Whatever's Clever was similarly equipped during prior service, or whether Frank would have been permitted to customize to his liking upon receiving the ship on detached duty in mustering-out and the subsequent time aboard in travel to Bohen from [checks 77topaz's research] the mustering-out Scout Base at [1526] Cessing Belts (J3 away, Imperial full member). I guess it depends on whether Magnus wants to control our lives via a Machine Lifeform AI running our ship.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 3rd, 2019, 02:43 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Quote:
So Magnus, was reference to "Permatic Imperial Downport" acceptable? Or should it be something different?

[Note to Self: When searching for Frank's introduction into that Other Universe, it is on Page 11. Save a few minutes searching backward from the End.]
I can answer that one: the main downport of Permatic is called Melnauka Downs; that was one of the first places the crew from the first Permatic Imperium game visited.

Also, re: fame/recognition, didn't Frank get most of his fame from his Discoveries as Scout rather than his arrests as Ranger (and so I did write in my IC post that Julius recognised Frank as a Scout who had made several Discoveries)? I take it news reports about Discoveries wouldn't do the same face-blurring etc. as the ones about the Ranger arrests.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 05:28 PM

Arrow Thus sayeth the Ref...

Quote:
Was just checking the Old Campaign to verify the name of the downport on Permatic, since I referenced it in preceding post. Couldn't find any clear Word of GM on the subject; not saying it wasn't there, just that I didn't find it.

Also, while checking that out I noticed one other bit that I am Asking Very Hopefully whether we might import to This Present Universe:

My (and therefore Frank's) preferences remain the same. Dunno whether Whatever's Clever was similarly equipped during prior service, or whether Frank would have been permitted to customize to his liking upon receiving the ship on detached duty in mustering-out and the subsequent time aboard in travel to Bohen from [checks 77topaz's research] the mustering-out Scout Base at Cessing Belts [FARS 1526] (J3 away, Imperial full member). I guess it depends on whether Magnus wants to control our lives via a Machine Lifeform AI running our ship.
The ship's computer is it a Limited Intrinsic Personality so basically less than a full Intrinsic Personality which would be what we call a full-on General AI. So, it has personality and high level functions but isn't a full Citizen, more of an electronic Subject. And Magnus is not fond of taking agency from his players (now anyway ) and thus having a LIP or IP isn't designed to hose players but assist them where they lack skill or knowledge to achieve something. Think of it as an aid not a hindrance. And there is a certain amount of change you can apply to the ship before Scout command has a hissy fit, but they aren't fond of major changes. So, it depends on what you want to do.

Quote:
I can answer that one: the main downport of Permatic is called Melnauka Downs; that was one of the first places the crew from the first Permatic Imperium game visited.

Also, re: fame/recognition, didn't Frank get most of his fame from his Discoveries as Scout rather than his arrests as Ranger (and so I did write in my IC post that Julius recognised Frank as a Scout who had made several Discoveries)? I take it news reports about Discoveries wouldn't do the same face-blurring etc. as the ones about the Ranger arrests.
77topaz has the right of it. The Permatic [FARS 1725] highport is PermaStar One and the downport is Melnuaka Downs.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:18 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Thumbs up Chives Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
The ship's computer is it a Limited Intrinsic Personality so basically less than a full Intrinsic Personality which would be what we call a full-on General AI. So, it has personality and high level functions but isn't a full Citizen, more of an electronic Subject. And Magnus is not fond of taking agency from his players (now anyway ) and thus having a LIP or IP isn't designed to hose players but assist them where they lack skill or knowledge to achieve something. Think of it as an aid not a hindrance. And there is a certain amount of change you can apply to the ship before Scout command has a hissy fit, but they aren't fond of major changes. So, it depends on what you want to do.
10x10, Boss! Down w/ all of above 100%, and that sounds pretty much as I envisioned Chives anyway. You call him a LIP, I call him an IA (Interface Assistant), toh-may-toh, toh-mah-toh.

So Chives is back onboard? Re: name and personality, I picture that Scouts who've spent a lot of solitary time on board different Type-S ships over their years in The Service are of two minds: some like to maintain continuity with a well-known LIP carried over from ship to ship, whereas others want some variety and to "meet someone new" and will take whatever LIP has been previously assigned to the ship before they got it. Obviously Frank is in the former lot and has spent a lot of years with Chives, whenever he had his own ship for Chives to take over.

Quote:
Quote:
77topaz has the right of it. The Permatic [FARS 1725] highport is PermaStar One and the downport is Melnuaka Downs.
Thanks, Mags and 77topaz. I will edit accordingly.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 3rd, 2019, 07:09 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Default Fame sucks!

Quote:
I noticed that, and I do see your point, but... I think I'm just gonna go with prior discussion in which Magnus said "all of the above"...

Quote:
And yet he still managed to do undercover work as a Ranger... I'd say that either his name is famous, but appearance kept secret/anonymous, or else he must be Really Good at Disguise!
Quote:
all of the above.

They keep the faces censored. Also that Fame is mostly to Scouts, who may know him by face and of course some cops and robbers. His name is known though,

My Old Stuff (2013-14)