Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old May 25th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan2072 View Post
The big question is how you provide players with a good, playable estimate of travel times, as this is literally within the domain of rocket science.
That is the problem with trying to move toward harder science in SF gaming, it makes calculating such things a lot... harder... umm, more difficult. Constant acceleration travel, even with a flip in the middle to decelerate, is pretty simple for anyone with the math for introductory physics. I can even figure simple Hohmann transfers with a little book reference. But calculus was 35 years ago and I haven't used it since, I'm not an aerospace engineer, and I've never found any explanation that I could understand for how to calculate something faster than a Hohmann transfer but more realistic than constant acceleration.

So yeah, hard SF is hard. Umm, difficult.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old June 4th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wellis Citizen

What is policing like in the arcologies and urban blights around them? I imagine drones are used a lot to bump up number of personnel?

That makes me wonder if one often sees cranial cybernetics to help process or control multiple drones at once, due to smaller numbers of personnel.
Old June 5th, 2019, 03:03 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Facial recognition and electronic tracking, whether overt or covert or both.

Big Brother will be watching, as will Siri, Cortana and Alexa.

Humanity is Zucked.
Old June 5th, 2019, 03:36 AM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Facial recognition and electronic tracking, whether overt or covert or both.

Big Brother will be watching, as will Siri, Cortana and Alexa.

Humanity is Zucked.
Speaking of electronic tracking, I do wonder about physical currency. I don't think most cyberpunk shadowrunner types will be wanting to use electronic transactions much?
Old June 5th, 2019, 03:58 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

ShadowRun says parallel currency, whether company credit or mafia backed credsticks. Probably what John Wick's gold coins are.

Sweden wants to go completely cashless for convenience, China to keep track of what you're doing.

The Swiss seem to prefer cash, but then they have thousand franc notes.
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:13 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
ShadowRun says parallel currency, whether company credit or mafia backed credsticks. Probably what John Wick's gold coins are.

Sweden wants to go completely cashless for convenience, China to keep track of what you're doing.

The CyberSpace RPG postulated that cash would continue to be accepted but that there would a 'handling fee' overhead for it, not to mention has the whiff of criminality in many quarters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybers...e-playing_game)

Bank notes and stock, while not technically currency, could be a 'safe haven' in 'off the book' transactions if the paper or equivalent is hard to forge and personal physical transfers are acceptable.
Old June 5th, 2019, 06:09 AM

Stamp duty to document transfer of ownership.
Old June 5th, 2019, 04:13 PM

wellis Citizen

Quote:

From what I remember about East Asia, it's much bigger on still using physical cash compared to electronic payments, right? I understand East Asian households generally save money a lot.
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:27 PM

Barrel Citizen

What about using cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin?
Old June 5th, 2019, 05:36 PM

Yes and no, Asians like cash for business, but cashless for convenience.

Cash usually isn't traceable, and only the contracting parties know if the transaction took place, and how much money actually changed hands.

As I understand blockchains, the algorithm is a history through which accounts it passed through.